Reload this Page >

Family of 4 looking at emigrating to Austria

Family of 4 looking at emigrating to Austria

Old Aug 23rd 2019, 10:58 am
Just Joined

kelldel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Family of 4 looking at emigrating to Austria

Hi all!

Looking at making the move as a family to Austria, we’ve been holidaying there for a couple of years. After a years’ working holiday in Alberta, Canada we had planned to move there but I’m reluctant to move so far away from family in the UK, thankfully we went on holiday in Austria and found it equally if not more enchanting (sorry to any Canadians)! I particularly fell in love with the culture, history, language and the outdoor lifestyle. My husband works as a Test Analyst for a big Finance company and I’m just starting my teacher training course at 34 years of age (career change it’s a long story lol) with a view to working over there after I finish my NQT. Hoping to hear some inspirational stories and meet others with a similar perspective or in a similar situation. I’m hoping after Brexit that it’s even possible for us as it certainly looks to be a little more difficult with the loss of the Eures portal ☹️

Old Aug 23rd 2019, 12:08 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Family of 4 looking at emigrating to Austria

Like any move, overseas or not, everything will flow from employment unless you are retired or otherwise of independent means.

Does your husband’s employer have an Austrian office he could transfer to?
Old Aug 23rd 2019, 1:32 pm
Just Joined

Unfortunately not, I know they’ve outsourced a lot of services to India and to another location in England but it doesn’t look great for the location my husband is at. They’ve been making a lot of redundancies the past couple of years...🥴
Old Aug 23rd 2019, 3:39 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

I would suggest then that your husband finding employment in Austria would be your first priority.
Old Aug 23rd 2019, 10:17 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and welcome to BE

The Welcome Inn is for introductions only. I request that after reading the forum rules that you venture over to the forum I linked below and ask whatever questions you might have there.

It is definitely a large step to take for both you and your husband but I hope you find a way to make it happen.

http://britishexpats.com/site-rules/

https://britishexpats.com/forum/europe-55/
Old Aug 24th 2019, 6:06 am
Just Joined

Ok, will have a read through, thank you 😊
Old Aug 24th 2019, 6:56 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kelldel
Hi all!

Looking at making the move as a family to Austria, we’ve been holidaying there for a couple of years. After a years’ working holiday in Alberta, Canada we had planned to move there but I’m reluctant to move so far away from family in the UK, thankfully we went on holiday in Austria and found it equally if not more enchanting (sorry to any Canadians)! I particularly fell in love with the culture, history, language and the outdoor lifestyle. My husband works as a Test Analyst for a big Finance company and I’m just starting my teacher training course at 34 years of age (career change it’s a long story lol) with a view to working over there after I finish my NQT. Hoping to hear some inspirational stories and meet others with a similar perspective or in a similar situation. I’m hoping after Brexit that it’s even possible for us as it certainly looks to be a little more difficult with the loss of the Eures portal ☹️

Hi, and welcome to the forum!
I speak German, but was flummoxed by the Austrian dialect! Luckily they all replied to me in Hochdeutsch...
When you post again in the Europe section, let us know how old your children will be when you move. This is an important issue which crops up in all the individual Europe forums. If they're older than Primary age, they'd likely be best in an International School, which will limit your choices of areas to settle in.
HTH
Old Aug 25th 2019, 1:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all!

Depending on the outcome of Brexit you may be treated like a 3rd country resident which will make "immigrating" a bit more difficult. Austria has a a list of required skills, min. income requirement etc. Get an idea on the Austrian Gov. website. and Rot-weiss-Rot Card.
Language is another issue. Once you speak German you can get used to local dialect which varies from Bundesland to Bundesland. No doubt you know this.

Old Aug 25th 2019, 2:57 pm
Just Joined

I was aware that there were differences and locals spoke to us in Hochdeutsch also which enabled us to get by as we speak a basic level of German (greetings, generic phrases, various requests mealtimes, on public transport etc) but I didn’t realise it varied so much! Thank you for all for your informative replies to my post, We will need to up our game re language skills, perhaps holiday there a few more times, we’ll keep an eye on the Austrian gov website post Brexit and check out Rot-weiss-Rot Card, it’s going to be a long journey but hopefully worth it, thanks ☺️
Old Aug 26th 2019, 6:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

I was aware that there were differences and locals spoke to us in Hochdeutsch also which enabled us to get by as we speak a basic level of German (greetings, generic phrases, various requests mealtimes, on public transport etc) but I didn’t realise it varied so much! Thank you for all for your informative replies to my post, We will need to up our game re language skills, perhaps holiday there a few more times, we’ll keep an eye on the Austrian gov website post Brexit and check out Rot-weiss-Rot Card, it’s going to be a long journey but hopefully worth it, thanks ☺️
And Austrian Hochdeutsch is not equal to German Hochdeutsch. Austrians still use words and expressions which are not used in German.
My husband always finds the word "Sackerl" amusing. It means a carrier bag. In Germany nobody would know it means.
Happy language studies.😉