British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Welcome Inn (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/)
-   -   ESTA Eligibility Query (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/esta-eligibility-query-811890/)

sigmalpha Oct 11th 2013 7:11 pm

ESTA Eligibility Query

Hello,

Have spent the afternoon going round the houses, so I hope someone on here with expertise in the field might be able to help me with this...

I am a UK citizen. Last year, I transferred to work in the U.S. under a blanket L1 visa. After a few months, the company who was sponsoring me made me redundant and I left to return to the UK a couple of weeks later.

I have just applied for an ESTA to allow me to take a 2 night vacation in the U.S. in a few weeks time - the ESTA was authorised/approved.

I have a query about the following eligibility question that was asked during the ESTA application process however: "Have you ever been denied a U.S. visa, or entry into the U.S. or had a U.S. visa cancelled?"

I have never been denied a U.S. visa, nor have I ever been denied entry into the U.S.. As I understand my circumstances to be, my L1 visa is simply no longer valid - the company making me redundant means that I no longer qualify to stay/travel to the U.S. for work under the L1 visa conditions. I was never told it was "cancelled" as such by the U.S. Government/DHS. The visa in my passport itself remains in tact and does not have any stamps with the words "cancelled" etc. across it.

Was I therefore correct in marking that question "No"?

Thanks.

Bob Oct 11th 2013 7:31 pm

Re: ESTA Eligibility Query

Hi and welcome to BE

This however is just a spot to introduce yourself. Best double check in the US immigration forums here, though I suspect you are right, it's just not valid and not cancelled. It would have a big red stamp across if it were.

sigmalpha Oct 11th 2013 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 10940635)
Hi and welcome to BE

This however is just a spot to introduce yourself. Best double check in the US immigration forums here, though I suspect you are right, it's just not valid and not cancelled. It would have a big red stamp across if it were.

Thanks, Bob. Apologies, I'm new to BE - this is my first ever post. I'll try to find the US Immigration forum as you've suggested.

Jerseygirl Oct 11th 2013 7:58 pm

Welcome to BE.

I see you have now reposted your questions in the US Immigration Forum...well done.:thumbsup:

Good luck and once again...welcome.

Sue Oct 11th 2013 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by sigmalpha (Post 10940642)
Thanks, Bob. Apologies, I'm new to BE - this is my first ever post. I'll try to find the US Immigration forum as you've suggested.

No worries, it's like a maze around here isn't here. I've been on the site since day one and I still get lost :D

Welcome to BE!!! Hope you enjoy being part of our little online community.