Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

An Englishman Abroad

An Englishman Abroad

Old May 28th 2012, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

kswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond repute
Default An Englishman Abroad

Hi All,

Going to be using the forum a lot over the next few months and wanted to drop in and introduce myself and let you all know my situation and plan of action with regard to moving to Canada.

I am 24, and I first arrived in Vancouver in October 2010, on a temporary IEC visa. In October 2011, I renewed my visa, carrying me through until October 2012. Unforuntately, my application for a further extension was rejected due to an 'incomplete' form. I have since re-applied, but it seems that time will be against me due to there only being 9 visas left.

I have mulled things over, spoken to my parents, and tried to think of one genuine logical reason why I shouldn't apply for residency. I couldn't think of one. Nothing. The argument for residency, in my situation, strongly outweigh any argument to me going home, which basically evolves around it being 'home'. However, as I explained to my parents, Vancouver has become my home; all my friends are here, my work is here, I am actively involved in the community (coaching two senior soccer teams) etc etc.

So I currently work for BC Hydro, but am employed by Accenture as a Full Time Temporary worker in an Administrative position. This is where I think things may get tricky a) due to the temporary employment status, and b) because I'm not sure if an Admin Assistant is considered one of the jobs which would qualify me for a skilled worker immigration.

I have a BA in Geography, but no relevant work experience (although I have almost 2 years general office/clerical experience).

Anyway, I have 4 months left on my visa, so plan on getting this ball rolling ASAP.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone in the forum, and hopefully I can be as much use to new IEC applicants as the people who have been through the residency process can be to me.

Ryan
Old May 28th 2012, 6:03 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: An Englishman Abroad

Hi Ryan
I see you have already found our Canada forum, where you can chat with lots of other folks who have moved there and obtained residency. I am sure you will get lots of help from the friendly folks on there, as well as lots of tips on the bureaucracy to get through.
That just leaves me to say welcome to BE and to wish you all the very best with your plans to make Canada your home

Dread - x
Old May 28th 2012, 9:27 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary
Old May 29th 2012, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

kswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have any idea if being employed by a temp agency and deployed into temporary roles will hinder my application for residency?

I am obviously looking for permenant work, but its difficult when you only have 4 months left on your visa...
Old May 29th 2012, 8:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kswoosh
Do you have any idea if being employed by a temp agency and deployed into temporary roles will hinder my application for residency?

I am obviously looking for permenant work, but its difficult when you only have 4 months left on your visa...
It would be best to ask this in the immigration section of the Canada forum - do also let people know which route to PR you are looking at, as that will influence the answer.

Old May 29th 2012, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
It would be best to ask this in the immigration section of the Canada forum - do also let people know which route to PR you are looking at, as that will influence the answer.

Thanks!