Reload this Page >

England to Mexico City.

England to Mexico City.

Old Oct 4th 2014, 2:59 am
Just Joined

danielbatesdbp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default England to Mexico City.

Hey everyone! *waves*

My name is Daniel, I'm 24 and I have recently moved to Mexico City - Naucalpan.

I am not really sure where to start here... I am finding the transition very hard, which brought me to here hoping that someone understands my position.

To start with, I do not speak Spanish (even though I have been trying to self teach myself for 6 months!), I do not drive, and I do not work here (mainly because I do not speak Spanish...)
I moved here for love, and I am very happy. Unfortunately when my partner is not here, I find myself very lonely. I have no family here, and very few friends - who I only know through my partner.

I am trying very hard to adjust. I keep telling myself I have to be positive! But right now I am feeling pretty defeated, and I feel that I am a little lost and some advise on my best options might help me take a step in the right direction..

Not much of an introduction, but I appreciate any help at all
Thank you
Daniel
Old Oct 4th 2014, 1:06 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: England to Mexico City.

Hi there and welcome to the forum

If you go to the main index page of this forum and pan down to Rest of the World, you will see a tab for South America and Mexico. I suggest you re-post on there and see if you can find some others to chat with in Mexico.

I suspect you will need to get your head down and learn Spanish somehow. Get some lessons maybe. But I'm sure the good folks in Mexico will advise you. All the best.
Old Oct 10th 2014, 10:25 pm
phc
Just Joined

phc is an unknown quantity at this point

Hm, doesn't that sound familiar Happened to arrive here for comparable reasons, and was equally reluctant getting myself into Spanish. Well, the way it goes, it just happend to come along all by itself over the years. You can always find a job without the need to speak Spanish; though it greatly helps; and certainly produces better pay cheques

I suggest you urge your partner to talk to you in Spanish, rather than English. It may be a little strange at the beginning, but it certainly helps. There are not too many folks in the streets you could just go and ask the way in vanilla English, so the sooner you crack the basics, the sooner you can focus on conversation.
Old Oct 14th 2014, 8:12 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jan 21st 2015, 6:12 pm
Just Joined

Laurzz13 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I am in a very similar situation to Daniel. I am 23 and moved to Puebla 3 months ago to live with my boyfriend who works here. I am currently here on a tourist visa but want to find a job before my 6 months is up. I am finding the job market extremely difficult to understand. I do not want to teach English and I am finding that those are the only jobs available for native English speakers. I speak Spanish and my degree is in International Business and Marketing. My question is if anyone else was /is in a similar situation and has any advice. Also, if there are any other British folk in Puebla and know of any expat communities?

Thank you, Laura