Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Cultural difference - is it just me???

Cultural difference - is it just me???

Old Aug 3rd 2010, 2:29 am
Just Joined

Yazzie is just really niceYazzie is just really niceYazzie is just really niceYazzie is just really niceYazzie is just really niceYazzie is just really niceYazzie is just really niceYazzie is just really niceYazzie is just really niceYazzie is just really niceYazzie is just really nice
Default Cultural difference - is it just me???

Hello all.

I came to Australia decades ago as a 12 yr old. I'm now 54yrs. Despite this, I still feel like a fish out of water when it comes to certain Australian ways. Don't get me wrong - I love it here. Even married an Australian. Yet there are many times I don't understand the Australian way of not saying what they really mean. My directness has often gotten me into trouble. It's like there's an unspoken rule to NOT say what you really mean. When I was reared, not saying what you really meant equalled lying (!). Hence, I trip over this confusion and end up feeling like I'm on the wrong planet.

This is my first post, so greetings to everyone. I've been thinking about joining for a while as I would dearly value the opinions of other expatriate Brits. Cheers & thanks.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 2:38 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cultural difference - is it just me???

Originally Posted by Yazzie
Hello all.

I came to Australia decades ago as a 12 yr old. I'm now 54yrs. Despite this, I still feel like a fish out of water when it comes to certain Australian ways. Don't get me wrong - I love it here. Even married an Australian. Yet there are many times I don't understand the Australian way of not saying what they really mean. My directness has often gotten me into trouble. It's like there's an unspoken rule to NOT say what you really mean. When I was reared, not saying what you really meant equalled lying (!). Hence, I trip over this confusion and end up feeling like I'm on the wrong planet.

This is my first post, so greetings to everyone. I've been thinking about joining for a while as I would dearly value the opinions of other expatriate Brits. Cheers & thanks.
Welcome to BE. If you have not done so take a look through the Australia forum. You may want to repost your question there, lots of folks to chat with there, with a wide variety of experiences and opinions.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 2:45 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all.

Welcome ... I have found the Australians, in general, to be brutally direct and my natural English reserve has been the source of confusion.

In fact, it's one of the reasons I like the place, if you want to hear what someone thinks then they don't tend to pussy foot around the issue
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 3:21 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all.

Hi there and welcome to BE.

Even though I don't live in Australia...I understand what you mean...I sometimes find the same here in the US.

Here's the link to BE's Australia Forums. We have a great bunch of folk posting in the Oz forums and I'm sure you'll find many more outspoken Brits in there.

Should you need any assistance finding your way around BE's many forums one of our Concierge Team will be pleased help you. As their name suggests they will act as your tour guides around our many forums. You can find a list of our concierge's at the bottom right hand side of this forum's index page...their names are printed in standard font.

Any problems or concerns should be addressed to a moderator. Every BE forum has at least one moderator dedicated to that forum...Australia has 4...Cresta57, Monneypenny20, Sonlymewalter and Centurion.

I hope you enjoy your stay with us.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 1:24 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Yazzie

Welcome to BE.
I see you have already been pointed in the right direction and I would think you will find some like minded folks on the Australia forum.
I am sure there are people experiencing the same thing so at least you won't feel alone in this.

Enjoy the forum and good luck

Dread - x
Old Aug 4th 2010, 1:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all.

Welcome to BE.

I suspect that what you are feeling is more to do with your personality. You sound exactly like my born & bred Australian father