Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Which country? Please help!

Which country? Please help!

Old Nov 20th 2012, 6:46 pm
Just Joined

Elaine77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Which country? Please help!

Most of the immigrants to the UK though are not from Australia or Canada or even the USA...

Good idea about checking why people return though.....I think il do just that!
Old Nov 20th 2012, 6:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elaine77
Most of the immigrants to the UK though are not from Australia or Canada or even the USA...
The numbers aren't that different though - 39,000 that moved to Australia, v 30,000 Aussies that moved here.

I'm not sure the figures will tell you much, unless it's that Americans or Canadians tend not to travel as much as Europeans!

Good luck with it all.

Old Nov 20th 2012, 7:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

H

..... but I don't agree that people don't leave their homeland because there are elements they don't like about it. They wouldn't leave their homeland and friends and family unless there was something they weren't entirely happy about.

Sorry, don't agree with this.

Hubby and I moved to the US, not because we disliked the UK or had any major grievances with it, but because it was a great opportunity to work and live in a country we had visited many times and were keen to experience more of.

I'm sure many others have done the same.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 8:46 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

I agree u have to love the country u move to but I don't agree that people don't leave their homeland because there are elements they don't like about it. They wouldn't leave their homeland and friends and family unless there was something they weren't entirely happy about.
I disagree with you on this. My husband had spent a lot of holidays in Spain prior to us getting married and when he was getting near to retirement age he talked about the fact that he would like to experience living in another country even if only for a short time. He took early retirement and we felt that this was a good time to gain that experience. Neither of us left the UK because of anything we did not like, neither of us were pro Spain and neither of us were wearing rose tinted glasses, this was purely taking life by the horns and giving it a shake to see what happened.

Well what happened was that we both enjoyed the experience, to my surprise I settled very quickly and love living here. My husband also loved living here but unfortunately I will never know who might have started talking about returning to the UK because he died this year. At the moment I have decided that I will remain here but not because I have any thing against the UK but purely because I have made a life here that suits me and I want to maintain it for the time being.

Rosemary
Old Nov 20th 2012, 9:00 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl

Hubby and I moved to the US, not because we disliked the UK or had any major grievances with it, but because it was a great opportunity to work and live in a country we had visited many times and were keen to experience more of.

+1 - we moved to Sydney because we could, not because we were unhappy in the UK. The UK is a great place. Just as Australia is. They're both first world countries. And both have the same problems - there is a benefits culture here, schools have drugs and bullying problems etc. Polly's spot on - same shit, shinier bucket.

OP, if you think NZ is too far, don't consider Australia. It's a long, expensive way from Blighty. And it's not utopia. Aus is very expensive. Our bills here are considerably more expensive than they were in the UK. Particularly housing - in my part of Sydney, rents are crazy (a decent 3 bed house starts at around $700 per week and can easily go well above $1000 pw). Yep, wages are higher but that's because the COL is so much more here. All up, financially speaking, there's no difference between here and the UK for us. Australia has a very strong work ethic, too. Plenty of people here work hard and long hours - exactly the same as the UK. You also mentioned needing to find a sponsor for your visa, which sounds like you're thinking of a 457. In that case, depending on which state you settled in, you may need to factor in paying for schooling into your costs (about $4500 pa per child for public schools here in NSW).

Having read this forum for a long time now, I've seen enough posters come and go to see a trend. Those who leave the UK to escape something - those with a negative view of the place - are much more likely to return to the UK than those who leave for the pull (the positives) of the place they move to.

And on that note, I'm off to book my daughter a GP's appointment. That's going to cost me $60 for a 5 minute consultation. I can't believe that people complain about the NHS ...
Old Nov 20th 2012, 11:16 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Yet Brits keep emigrating....many never to return....? And then there's the fact that (comparatively) hardly any Canadians and Australians emigrate TO the UK and stay? The figures must illustrate something??
It's also more difficult for Canadians (not sure about Australians) to emigrate to UK. My husband and I first wanted to move to England but didn't qualify for a visa. You also have to factor in that there are over 60 million Brits, but only 60 million Australians and Canadians COMBINED. Do you think this might have anything to do with the numbers at all?
Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl

+2. We moved from Canada to Australia because we could. I have lived in both Australia and Canada and can attest to the very high cost of living here in Australia. While wages may be higher so is the cost of everything else. Housing is incredibly expensive, food shopping, flights home to visit family - or even flights within Australia! I just flew from Perth to Sydney last week and it was over $300 each way.

OP, I really think you need to look at the official government immigration websites for the places you are interested in and see whether you qualify for visas before you get your hopes of moving up any higher. Your husband's mentor may have looked at something and told your husband he could move, but unless you have actually worked it out for yourselves I would say take it with a pinch of salt. Honestly, a college mentor and an official government resource are 2 very different kettles of fish.
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 8:09 pm
Just Joined

Shelld79 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
IMO, you've got to at least visit the country you intend to live in once though, so once you've narrowed it down, book a reccie trip and make sure you like it before you spend tens of thousands on moving out there only to discover that you hate it!

It seems you're generalising about a lot of the countries (not all of the US is a 'rat race', somewhere like rural Montana would be about as far from that as is possible to get!), so need to do a lot more research and visit too.

Is there a reason you're not considering elsewhere within the UK? That would obviously be far easier and cheaper, and the rural lifestyle can be found there too.

My husband also works in the renewable energy industry and has worked in Canada, so shout if he can help in any way.

Best of luck.

Hi
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 8:12 pm
Just Joined

Shelld79 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Shelld79
Hi
Sorry christmasooma!
You said your husband is in the renewable energy? My husband was a solar panel engineer in uk and we are considering moving to Canada and I was wandering if there is much of this work???
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 10:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shelld79
Sorry christmasooma!
You said your husband is in the renewable energy? My husband was a solar panel engineer in uk and we are considering moving to Canada and I was wandering if there is much of this work???
Not sure on solar (he's a project/technical director in the wind industry) but I can ask him if he has any idea.

I'll get back to you.........

Old Nov 24th 2012, 7:32 am
Just Joined

alcordia1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I heard that the life style in usa is not easy to begin..is that true?
Old Nov 24th 2012, 7:42 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alcordia1
I heard that the life style in usa is not easy to begin..is that true?
The biggest problem with the USA is qualifying to get a visa to move and work there, one of the hardest countries in the world to get into, especially if you're from a country that doesn't get chances in the Green Card Lottery.