British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Welcome Inn (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/)
-   -   Considering a move back to the UK from Chicagoland (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/considering-move-back-uk-chicagoland-810929/)

z1565124 Oct 1st 2013 10:12 pm

Considering a move back to the UK from Chicagoland

Hi Everyone,

Name's Richard (joint UK/US citizen) and been in the US for a little over 11 years and though I kind of like it here and have all the material things in life here I've been considering a move back to the UK for a while now. Couple of things I need to consider:

1. It won't be for a couple of years at least as I want to finish my MBA and let my pets live out their lives here. So that being said anything I can do in preparation that will make the move easier?
2. Wife (USC) is a veterinarian so will need to see what we need to do to get her qualifications transferred but my main issue is how other USC spouses have adapted. Wife has lived in Leeds for 9 months and some of the experiences she had were not to positive with respect to her nationality. I said as long as you keep your mouth shut you'll be fine but I'm not sure that will fly in the longrun!
3. Where to settle, though I am from North Wales originally I don't feel obligated to live there again. I really would like to live outside of a town but have to be close to some kind of industry as I am in supply chain management. Really am open to all locations but ideally would like to not have to get a mortgage ever again after having paid this one off.
4. Any financial advice? I should be going over with about $1 - $1.5 in assets such as 401k/IRA/house sale/mutual funds and cash.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Richard

Sally Redux Oct 1st 2013 11:21 pm

Re: Considering a move back to the UK from Chicagoland

Originally Posted by z1565124 (Post 10926555)
I should be going over with about $1 - $1.5 in assets

Welcome.

You might need to up the budget ;)

z1565124 Oct 1st 2013 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 10926616)
Welcome.

You might need to up the budget ;)

It's what I arrived with 11 years ago so at least I've not lost much :lol:

:goodpost:

Pollyana Oct 2nd 2013 12:44 am

Originally Posted by z1565124 (Post 10926555)
Hi Everyone,

Name's Richard (joint UK/US citizen) and been in the US for a little over 11 years and though I kind of like it here and have all the material things in life here I've been considering a move back to the UK for a while now. Couple of things I need to consider:

1. It won't be for a couple of years at least as I want to finish my MBA and let my pets live out their lives here. So that being said anything I can do in preparation that will make the move easier?
2. Wife (USC) is a veterinarian so will need to see what we need to do to get her qualifications transferred but my main issue is how other USC spouses have adapted. Wife has lived in Leeds for 9 months and some of the experiences she had were not to positive with respect to her nationality. I said as long as you keep your mouth shut you'll be fine but I'm not sure that will fly in the longrun!
3. Where to settle, though I am from North Wales originally I don't feel obligated to live there again. I really would like to live outside of a town but have to be close to some kind of industry as I am in supply chain management. Really am open to all locations but ideally would like to not have to get a mortgage ever again after having paid this one off.
4. Any financial advice? I should be going over with about $1 - $1.5 in assets such as 401k/IRA/house sale/mutual funds and cash.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Richard

Hi, welcome to BE :)

Drop in to our Moving Back to the UK forum here and there are several threads on locations.
I notice your wife is a USC but presumably she is starting from scratch as far as a UK visa goes? In which case you need to definitely up the budget :lol:

BE now has its own forum for people looking for Spouse Visas for the UK so dig in and have a read of the rules - they changed fairly recently and its no longer as easy as it used to be.

Good luck with the planning!:thumbup:

z1565124 Oct 2nd 2013 10:25 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 10926674)
Hi, welcome to BE :)

Drop in to our Moving Back to the UK forum here and there are several threads on locations.
I notice your wife is a USC but presumably she is starting from scratch as far as a UK visa goes? In which case you need to definitely up the budget :lol:

BE now has its own forum for people looking for Spouse Visas for the UK so dig in and have a read of the rules - they changed fairly recently and its no longer as easy as it used to be.

Good luck with the planning!:thumbup:

Ohh my and there I was thinking I could just move over there with the wife fill out a few forms when we get there and be done!!! On first glance I am almost resigned to the fact that I can't retire there unless I ditch the wife!? Thanks for the link will have to study this in more detail but we went through all this 11 years ago for me to get here on a K1 and I don't really want to put myself or her through that again.

Rosemary Oct 3rd 2013 8:01 am

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary