Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Connecting with parents in the UK

Connecting with parents in the UK

Old Sep 29th 2014, 5:52 pm
Just Joined

most curious cat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Connecting with parents in the UK

As a long term expat in Spain I would really like to develop a more supportive relationship with my parents in the UK as they get older (70s) and their needs and wants change. We have two young children who don't get to spend much time with their UK grandparents. I'm hoping for some practical advice about how to develop new ways of making us feel part of eachothers' lives. We talk on the phone and email regularly, spend time together at least twice a year. What works for you?
Old Sep 29th 2014, 7:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Connecting with parents in the UK

facetime. skype is too complicated for the old folk.
Old Sep 30th 2014, 1:46 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and welcome to,the forum

Skype is good. Sorry don't agree with above poster. I know plenty of folks in their 70s and 80s using video chats. Maybe help them set it up next time you're visiting if they are not computer savvy.
Old Sep 30th 2014, 2:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Hello and welcome to,the forum

Skype is good. Sorry don't agree with above poster. I know plenty of folks in their 70s and 80s using video chats. Maybe help them set it up next time you're visiting if they are not computer savvy.
ah, but facetime is a one button call and is always there sitting on the docking station in the kitchen.

Skype means, getting the laptop, glasses, finding the charger, sitting in the special laptop chair, getting distracted by the dog, sitting down, trying to remember the laptop password, it not connecting to the wifi, then it connecting, then remembering the mouse so you can move the thing on the screen, getting up find the mouse, plug mouse in, then looking for the blue icon... I could go on. all the time I'm talking her through it over the phone for longer than the skype call would have been.

buying her the ipad was a much easier decision
Old Sep 30th 2014, 6:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

My dad is much better at Skype than I am; I usually wait until one of my siblings pops round to his place & Facetime on their phone/ipad. Or email him to say pick up the effing 'phone, to which he'll reply that I could Skype ... #1st world problems

My sprogs are grown now, but back in the day (NOT so long ago), they drew pictures/took photos/wrote (gasp) snail mail letters to the grandparents, who wrote back. Both sides seemed to enjoy this immensely.

There's a certain excitement about receiving snail mail that technology doesn't seem to have replaced yet.

Probably depends on the age of your children.

S
Old Oct 1st 2014, 8:48 pm
Just Joined

Kevin_R is an unknown quantity at this point

Some TVs have Skype built in so you may have a ready made answer without knowing it.