Can't Wait

Old Nov 13th 2018, 8:30 pm
Just Joined

Gregchant is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can't Wait

Hello all.

John here.

30 years in Australia, fantastic country to raise a child but so excited about our return to live in the UK at the age of 61 next August.
Been back many times to home city of Manchester and recently spent time travelling down to Devon. What a stunning country.
Economically Manchester is booming, just look at the number of cranes over the city. The trams have made such a difference. Can the good folk of Brisbane or Melbourne even dream of cheap, fast, public transport to the International Airport?

We will spend our last active years visiting parts of the UK which we neglected in our misspent youth. Two weeks on the beach at Magaluf somehow does not seem as magnetic now especially after 30 years in Queensland.

The frustrations of people attempting to move around the place, especially by car are well documented. I solve this by trying to change my habits and not travel at busy times. Agree with other posters that you can use a car less and less in the UK, particularly if child free.

Looking for a change of direction employment wise. Many sites now offer advice for older workers.

Hello to all like minded expats,
John
Old Nov 13th 2018, 9:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can't Wait

Get a bus pass. That is what I did when I came back to Scotland. I have seen more of my native land in the last 8 years than in my entire life up till then. I hope to see more before I am consigned to a wheelchair !
Old Nov 13th 2018, 10:08 pm
Just Joined

Agree Scot47 and your part of the world will be one of my first destination
Old Nov 13th 2018, 10:37 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome to BE, Greg

It appears that you have matters well in hand. To what end, can BE be of assistance to you on your return next August or are you simply looking to exchange pleasantries with like minded countrymen?

Since your end goal is a return to the UK or rather Scotland, I'm going to direct you to The Moving Back to the UK forum. I believe this will be best forum for your interests. Before venturing there, may I ask that you have a read of BE's site rules. Both links are provided to you below.

http://britishexpats.com/site-rules/
http://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/

Enjoy your stay with us and if you have any difficulties in navigating the site, please reach out to a super mod or moderator for assistance.

Rita
Old Nov 14th 2018, 4:53 am
Just Joined

Hello Rita and thank you for the welcome.

I think my reasoning for searching for this site was across a few reasons. I wanted to be reassured that moving back to the UK to live, not just holiday, would be a good decision. If you watch the news you see so many negatives. In the main people seem so positive about moving "home".
As we approach next August I will be tapping into fellow returning expats knowledge with regard to so many issues such as tax returns, tax residency issues, buying / renting property, registering of cars, renewing the old pink paper licence and much more stuff.
We will no doubt end up in the North, maybe even Angelsey but reading folks experiences on here, anywhere in the UK sounds attractive.

Hope to chat again,
Gregchant