Canada Bound!

Old Aug 4th 2010, 6:59 pm
Just Joined

seanipops is just really niceseanipops is just really niceseanipops is just really niceseanipops is just really niceseanipops is just really niceseanipops is just really niceseanipops is just really niceseanipops is just really nice
Default Canada Bound!

Hi all!

I'm currently in the UK and will be moving to Toronto with my Canadian girlfriend next year, I'm currently a police officer in the UK and will be applying for a post as a police officer over there. I'll be eligible to apply for permanent residency in in October and popped on here to see if I can chat to people who have been there and done it already!
Old Aug 4th 2010, 9:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada Bound!

Originally Posted by seanipops
Hi all!

I'm currently in the UK and will be moving to Toronto with my Canadian girlfriend next year, I'm currently a police officer in the UK and will be applying for a post as a police officer over there. I'll be eligible to apply for permanent residency in in October and popped on here to see if I can chat to people who have been there and done it already!
Hey and welcome to our cyber world known as BE.

Good choice of location ...my daughter lived in T.O. and we spend quite a bit of time there. We have many, many expat members living in the Toronto area. They are a lively bunch of folk...so I'm sure you'll have fun posting in the Canada Forums. The link I have given you will direct you to the index page of the main Canada forum. At the top of the page you will see a list of sub forums...the top one being the Immigration Forum. Any questions relating specifically to the immigration process should be posted there. The main forum is for topics relating to Canada and the Maple Leaf is for general chatter. Please take a few moments to read any sticky threads or announcements that may be posted at the top of each forum's index page. Also take a look at the BE Wiki...there's loads of useful information in there about moving to The Great White North.

If you have any problems finding your way around the many BE forums AmyDavid and The Aviator are concierges for the Canada forums...they will be act as your BE tour guides to help you find your way around.

For any other questions, problems or concerns please contact a moderator. The mods for the Canada forums are Iaink and Christmasoompa...although any mod or admin will be pleased to help you.

Please give me a shout if you need any help.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 9:49 pm
Just Joined

seanipops is just really niceseanipops is just really niceseanipops is just really niceseanipops is just really niceseanipops is just really niceseanipops is just really niceseanipops is just really niceseanipops is just really nice

Thanks!

I've been over there loads and would move over now if I could but the missus wants to stay in the UK a bit longer. I love my job so hopefully I'll be able to continue with it over there as well!
Old Aug 4th 2010, 10:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks!

I've been over there loads and would move over now if I could but the missus wants to stay in the UK a bit longer. I love my job so hopefully I'll be able to continue with it over there as well!
If she hasn't already she should try to get UK citizenship before moving back to Canada. Makes life much easier if she ever wants to ping pong.
Old Aug 5th 2010, 8:52 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
If she hasn't already she should try to get UK citizenship before moving back to Canada. Makes life much easier if she ever wants to ping pong.
Unfortunately she'll have only been in the UK for four years by the time we're leaving. I'm not sure but I think you have to be here for 5 years before you can apply.
I've suggested we stay for a bit longer but she's got her heart set on going back at the end of 2011. She's probably holding out for a marriage proposal
Old Aug 5th 2010, 11:30 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Unfortunately she'll have only been in the UK for four years by the time we're leaving. I'm not sure but I think you have to be here for 5 years before you can apply.
I've suggested we stay for a bit longer but she's got her heart set on going back at the end of 2011. She's probably holding out for a marriage proposal
A year will soon pass...
Old Aug 5th 2010, 3:30 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

the missus wants to stay in the UK a bit longer.
moving to Toronto with my Canadian girlfriend next year
She's probably holding out for a marriage proposal
This sounds complicated, one and the same or one of each?

Welcome to BE. Loads of great folks in the Canada forum who can offer suggestions and advice. Take a look through the Wiki section as well, some really good articles in there that may be of help.

There are a few on here who are in the police depts. Dboy is RCMP in Vancouver, as well as a few others.

Last edited by Aviator; Aug 5th 2010 at 3:36 pm.
Old Aug 5th 2010, 10:16 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all!

Hi Seanipops

Welcome to BE.
I see some of the otehr good folks have pointed you towards the Canada forum, where you will find lots of people who have done the move.
Whereabouts in the UK are you a police officer?

You may be interested in getting onto another of the forums, which is for expat police officers. There are some good threads going on there at present. You will find this forum on the main Forum index page under the working abroad section.

Have fun.

Dread - x