Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Can Dreams Come True?

Can Dreams Come True?

Old Aug 12th 2010, 5:38 pm
Just Joined

Mickydin is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Can Dreams Come True?

Hello, my name is mike and I am a disabled ex soldier. I have predominantly come here in my quest to find out more information on leaving the uk and going to perhaps australia or maybe south africa (where my wife originates from). This may be a tall order though, as disability currently prevents me from working, and my pension from the army is small. I am 43, and though the odds are stacked against me, i have not yet give up on the idea of moving to better climes, and i am in training to become a web designer, where it is hoped i can work from home. What i really want to know, is what are my rights as an ex soldier who suffers disability, in venturing overseas? It seems a quagmire to try and understand, and i hope this community may be able to enlighten me, so i know what options i have. I hope those of you who read this, can at least start me off on where to go, for information, and what options i have.

stay well all

rgds mike
Old Aug 12th 2010, 5:54 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Can Dreams Come True?

Originally Posted by Mickydin
Hello, my name is mike and I am a disabled ex soldier. I have predominantly come here in my quest to find out more information on leaving the uk and going to perhaps australia or maybe south africa (where my wife originates from). This may be a tall order though, as disability currently prevents me from working, and my pension from the army is small. I am 43, and though the odds are stacked against me, i have not yet give up on the idea of moving to better climes, and i am in training to become a web designer, where it is hoped i can work from home. What i really want to know, is what are my rights as an ex soldier who suffers disability, in venturing overseas? It seems a quagmire to try and understand, and i hope this community may be able to enlighten me, so i know what options i have. I hope those of you who read this, can at least start me off on where to go, for information, and what options i have.

stay well all

rgds mike
Welcome to the Forum Mike, Ex Forces myself Challenger and Armoured Recon Regiment amongst other things. Im not aware that any countries gives special priority to disabled Ex Forces personnel.

Posting any Questions you have in the Australia Section would probably be the best idea as there are some pretty knowledgeable folk around.

cresta57 , moneypenny20 , sonlymewalter , Centurion , Are the Moderators over there and alistairboyle is the Concierge, If you get any problems give one of them a shout.

There is also the Australia Wiki which has a lot of questions already answered.

Should any other areas interest you don't hesitate in having a search around and chatting to people.

Good Luck.. And once again Welcome.

Last edited by Ka Ora!; Aug 12th 2010 at 6:05 pm.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 5:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

stay well all

rgds mike
Hello Mike...and welcome. Thank you for taking the time to introduce yourself. There's a lot ex military people posting on BE...one of our concierges...Ka Ora...is one of them.

We have a very large group of expats who post in our Australia Forums...I'm sure they will help you with any questions about moving Down Under. The link I have given you will take you to the main index page of the Australia Forum...at the top of the page you will see a list of sub forums. The top forum is the Immigration Forum all questions regarding the immigration process should be posted in there. The Main forum is for topics relating to Australia and The Barbie is for general chit chat. Also take a look in the BE Wiki...you'll find loads of useful info in there.

Alistairboyle is the concierge for the Australia forums...he will act as your tour guide to help you navigate the many BE forums. So if you have any problems finding your way around our many forums please contact him.

If you have any concerns or problems please contact a moderator or admin. Every BE forum has at least one moderator dedicated to that forum...Australia has 4...Cresta57, Monneypenny20, Sonlymewalter and Centurion.

The other country you mentioned is South Africa. Sue and Mitzyboy are the moderators for the Africa forum.

I hope you enjoy your time with us and don't forget to shout out should you require any help.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 7:00 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

What i really want to know, is what are my rights as an ex soldier who suffers disability, in venturing overseas?
Hi Mike, welcome aboard.

Can you explain what you mean by the part I left quoted? Are you concerned about collecting your disability pension from abroad or?? Not sure what you mean by your 'rights' in this context.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 7:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE Mike, just wanted to say 'hi' and thank you for your service
Old Aug 12th 2010, 9:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

If you believe elvis presley than they do.....
Old Aug 13th 2010, 12:39 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Hi Mike, welcome aboard.

Can you explain what you mean by the part I left quoted? Are you concerned about collecting your disability pension from abroad or?? Not sure what you mean by your 'rights' in this context.
I take it yes he means his disability allowance. I'm hoping with such a large group of expats in the Australia forum...there must be someone who claimed disability in the UK.

Mike if not maybe try The Moving Back To The UK Forum. I'm sure we've had a similar question before...I'll have a root around and see if I can find it.

Edit: These old threads may be of interest.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ty+benefits%27

That's a sample of the threads I've found but if you want to see more let me know. I think you are probably best to ask about your entitlement if you move overseas from whatever department your allowance/pension comes from.

May I say...thank you for your service and all you have sacrificed.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Aug 13th 2010 at 2:07 am. Reason: To add links from the search function
Old Aug 14th 2010, 6:47 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there Mike

Welcome to BE.
I see you have been pointed in the right direction for the Australia forum. There is also an Africa forum found on the main forum index page where a number of people from South Africa post, so it may be worth a look there as well.
I know that old folks can live abroad and still claim their pensions, so I am sure that yourself, as an ex soldier on pension, should be able to have the same facility. It may be that you have to have it paid into a UK account then transferred like my friends parents who emigrated to India do.

I really hope you get to live your dream - why shouldn't you ?

Good luck

Dread - x