Reload this Page >

Brit in North Carolina, USA

Brit in North Carolina, USA

Old Sep 2nd 2016, 1:04 am
Just Joined

GeekyGal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Brit in North Carolina, USA

Hi everyone;

I don't really want anything. I'm just here to socialize for the most part. I am 25. I've been living in North Carolina for almost ten years. Before that I lived in Sheffield, England. I don't really miss England much, but I do miss having a fish and chip shop on every corner.
Old Sep 2nd 2016, 2:09 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brit in North Carolina, USA

Hi GG, welcome to BE.

I am also in NC, been here 13 years.
Old Sep 2nd 2016, 5:32 am
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi GG, where in NC do you live? I use to live in the High Point, Greensboro area.
Old Sep 2nd 2016, 2:46 pm
Just Joined

I live in Winston Salem. Pleased to meet you both.
Old Sep 2nd 2016, 3:59 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeekyGal
I live in Winston Salem. Pleased to meet you both.
Why not come over to the Trailer Park, the irreverent bit of the US forum, and tell us a bit more about yourself.

You might also look out for posts in the US forum asking about moving teenagers to the US (we get a few most months) as it looks as if, given what you said about yourself, that your parents moved you over when you were around fifteen. We usually get plenty of advice from that of the parents, but I don't recall seeing first person experiences of people who were moved to the US by their parents.
Old Sep 2nd 2016, 5:12 pm
Just Joined

I'll do that, although I didn't come here with parents. Four days after I turned 16 (and was old enough to fly alone), I flew 3,500 miles to the U.S. to escape my abusive father -- to meet someone that I met online. Despite that not being advisable for most people, everything worked out fine in my case. Thanks for the welcome.
Old Sep 3rd 2016, 3:07 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I'll do that, although I didn't come here with parents. Four days after I turned 16 (and was old enough to fly alone), I flew 3,500 miles to the U.S. to escape my abusive father -- to meet someone that I met online. Despite that not being advisable for most people, everything worked out fine in my case. Thanks for the welcome.
All I can say is "WOW". Glad it worked out for you and that you have your green card (assuming) so that you can live and work in the US.

Please, as Pulaski said, have a go at the US Forums and perhaps you can connect electronically and perhaps, physically with other Brits in your area.
Old Nov 9th 2016, 2:10 pm
Just Joined

alicia.r is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Geekygal,

How are you finding Winston Salem? I moved here in June and originally from London. I don't really miss the UK either, but wish I could bring some friends over!
Old Nov 10th 2016, 1:56 am
Just Joined

I like Winston. It's a fairly big city, but it feels like a small city. Compared to places like Raleigh and Charlotte, the overall attitudes and ease of driving are exceptional. Despite the somewhat small town feel, it has pretty much anything that one might need. So, I'm in my happy place.
Old Nov 11th 2016, 11:45 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

That's exactly how we used to feel about it. We lived there for 7 years.

Welcome to BE!
I like Winston. It's a fairly big city, but it feels like a small city. Compared to places like Raleigh and Charlotte, the overall attitudes and ease of driving are exceptional. Despite the somewhat small town feel, it has pretty much anything that one might need. So, I'm in my happy place.