Reload this Page >

Brit Married to a Canadian

Brit Married to a Canadian

Old May 23rd 2014, 2:31 am
Just Joined

graywolf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Brit Married to a Canadian

Hi All,
I am a British Citizen and I am married to a Canadian Citizen. Due to the financial aspect, I am looking to obtain a work permit to work in Canada and then I would go through the process of obtaining my residency either though my wife sponsoring me or work related.

It has been interesting trying to navigate how to get a work permit and find employers to hire foreign workers. Anyone have suggestions out there?

Bryan
Old May 23rd 2014, 2:39 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brit Married to a Canadian

Originally Posted by graywolf
Hi All,
I am a British Citizen and I am married to a Canadian Citizen. Due to the financial aspect, I am looking to obtain a work permit to work in Canada and then I would go through the process of obtaining my residency either though my wife sponsoring me or work related.

It has been interesting trying to navigate how to get a work permit and find employers to hire foreign workers. Anyone have suggestions out there?

Bryan
Hi Bryan and welcome to BE

You should be able to find lots of advice in the BE wiki and over in the Canadian section of the forum - http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=56
Old May 23rd 2014, 2:49 am
Just Joined

Thank you! I will check out that section.
Old May 23rd 2014, 12:31 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and welcome to BE!

To answer your question briefly, your wife can sponsor you now if you guys want - in fact, you would find it much easier. You can be living in the UK and apply for sponsorship, it would take about 6-7 months for PR to be granted (have a peek at the spreadsheet in my signature). Once you have PR you have full right to live and work in Canada, which will make getting a job significantly easier as you won't require any kind of employer sponsorship or work permit. And you can do it all from the UK and have it sorted before you move to Canada.

There's also no minimum financial requirement for your wife to sponsor you. She simply needs to not be bankrupt, and not be claiming welfare or other social assistance (excluding disability).

Grab yourself a cuppa and read the wiki section on Family Class sponsorship. It can be overwhelming at first, but once you get your head around it, it's quite straight forward, and you'll find people on this board are more than willing to answer questions.

Good luck and feel free to post back!
Old May 23rd 2014, 2:12 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for that info SchnookoLoly. I will look at the spreadsheet over the weekend.
Old May 23rd 2014, 2:15 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by graywolf
Thank you for that info SchnookoLoly. I will look at the spreadsheet over the weekend.
No worries at all!

Good luck with everything. If you have more questions, best place to post will be in the Immigration & Citizenship part of the Canada forum - http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33 . Happy reading!