Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Born in Malta 1957, need to prove British citizenship

Born in Malta 1957, need to prove British citizenship

Old May 29th 2016, 4:48 am
Just Joined

Sue_Hurst is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Born in Malta 1957, need to prove British citizenship

Hi, I was born in Malta in 1957, as my father was in the RAF stationed there. I now need to provide some evidence of my British nationality. My parents always joked about needing to rush down and register me as a British citizen and it costing 10 shillings.

My daughter is wanting to apply for a UK passport and has been asked to supply my 'forces' birth certificate. I do not have anything except a rather large certificate from the (I assume) Maltese registry. So I applied to the GRO for a certificate and they say they have no trace.....I am now wondering where to turn. We live in New Zealand, which is where my daughter was born.
Old May 29th 2016, 5:42 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Born in Malta 1957, need to prove British citizenship

Hi there and welcome to the wonderful world of BE .

I'm also in New Zealand having emigrated here twelve years ago.

I suggest that you ask this question in our Moving Back to the UK forum Sue as there are several folk in there that should certainly be able to help you.

(Click the bolded words to link straight there)

Just have to wait for them to wake up and even perhaps finish their weekend.

All the best

BEVS
Old May 29th 2016, 9:11 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum
Old May 29th 2016, 6:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue_Hurst
Hi, I was born in Malta in 1957, as my father was in the RAF stationed there. I now need to provide some evidence of my British nationality. My parents always joked about needing to rush down and register me as a British citizen and it costing 10 shillings.

My daughter is wanting to apply for a UK passport and has been asked to supply my 'forces' birth certificate. I do not have anything except a rather large certificate from the (I assume) Maltese registry. So I applied to the GRO for a certificate and they say they have no trace.....I am now wondering where to turn. We live in New Zealand, which is where my daughter was born.
Just a wee suggestion - any chance if you have your father's service records from the MOD showing that he was station in Malta with the RAF and use this as a means to prove yours father's Crown Service at the time of your birth?
Old May 29th 2016, 9:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

What passport do YOU currently hold?

What passports do your parents hold? Were they British when they were stationed in Malta?
Old May 29th 2016, 11:15 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Does the birth certificate you already hold look like this:

or this:

Old May 30th 2016, 5:15 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue_Hurst

I was born in Malta in 1959 also parents in RN. I have a Maltese birth certificate. written in Maltese with English translation identifying father as serving in RN and being British, same for my mother under housewife, also British. I was on my mothers passport for years and it took a lot of work with RN and passport office before I got my own passport at aged 20. I have no idea what process was followed but it took my BC and parents passports via the RN to get the Home office to accept my qualification to have a full passport as a British Citizen. That was in the late 70's.