British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Welcome Inn (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/)
-   -   A big hello from sunny England! Looking to move to the US (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/big-hello-sunny-england-looking-move-us-804330/)

E_M Jul 28th 2013 7:40 pm

A big hello from sunny England! Looking to move to the US

Howdy all!

I think it’s time to stop lurking and actually say hello!

My name is Ed and I am very much at the beginning of my journey.
I am currently in the UK looking to eventually move over to the US - specifically Los Angeles.

The forum looks excellent and am hoping to find some good information, maybe make some friends and get a plan together that will aid me towards that all important visa!

I am a newly qualified Independent financial adviser, currently self-employed, working under an established practice in the Hertfordshire area. I Enjoy most sports and play Underwater Hockey and have a degree in International Business & Philosophy.

Any nudge in the right direction would be greatly appreciated

Kind regards,

Ed

mikelincs Jul 28th 2013 9:19 pm

Re: A big hello from sunny England!

Originally Posted by E_M (Post 10823594)
Howdy all!

I think it’s time to stop lurking and actually say hello!

My name is Ed and I am very much at the beginning of my journey.
I am currently in the UK looking to eventually move over to the US - specifically Los Angeles.

The forum looks excellent and am hoping to find some good information, maybe make some friends and get a plan together that will aid me towards that all important visa!

I am a newly qualified Independent financial adviser, currently self-employed, working under an established practice in the Hertfordshire area. I Enjoy most sports and play Underwater Hockey and have a degree in International Business & Philosophy.

Any nudge in the right direction would be greatly appreciated

Kind regards,

Ed

:welcome:

I hope you are prepared for a long wait. Please read the 'Read Me' threads on this forum.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34

and also read the Wiki, here,

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA.

See if you qualify for any of the visa routes, the USA is one of the hardest countries to get into, most work visas require a degree at Masters level. or an internal transfer from a company that has a presence in the USA.

The other ways are have a very large sum of money to start up a business in the USA, or to marry a US Citizen.

bakedbean Jul 29th 2013 12:51 pm

Re: A big hello from sunny England!

Hi Ed and welcome to the forum :rofl:

Mikelincs has provided you with links to the right sections, so happy researching :thumbup:

E_M Jul 29th 2013 6:23 pm

Re: A big hello from sunny England! Looking to move to the US

Thank you Mikelinc & Bakebean for your reply's.

Lots of reading and researching to do so I better get started! :eek:

Pulaski Jul 29th 2013 6:26 pm

Mike already gave you most of the initial advice, but I see little in what you posted to qualify you for any US immigration visa. Mike's advice about marriage was not tongue-in-cheek as it explains how a number of us came to be in the US. If you're not in a committed relationship try match.com, chemistry.com etc.

E_M Jul 29th 2013 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 10825259)
Mike already gave you most of the initial advice, but I see little in what you posted to qualify you for any US immigration visa. Mike's advice about marriage was not tongue-in-cheek as it explains how a number of us came to be in the US. If you're not in a committed relationship try match.com, chemistry.com etc.

Thank you Pulaski for your reply. As things stand my options do look pretty thin.
match.com etc is an option.

Regardless i can see this is something that will take time, I may need to build up funds or get myself a masters in the process- which is fine. its good to know the reality of the task in hand and go into this eyes open! :)

Sally Redux Jul 29th 2013 9:02 pm

Welcome, Ed. Ignore my signature :D

Pulaski Jul 29th 2013 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 10825473)

I wonder if he'd consider Tallahassee instead of LA? :sneaky:

E_M Jul 29th 2013 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 10825473)

Thanks Sally! Ha. I shall try and not let it put me off! :D

Rosemary Jul 31st 2013 6:40 am

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary