Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Becoming a Digital Nomad

Becoming a Digital Nomad

Old Jun 2nd 2015, 12:24 am
Just Joined

jezwhitaker is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Becoming a Digital Nomad

Hi! I'm Jez and I've been traveling through Asia since April 2014 and am currently living in Sydney, Australia. I was originally planning to stay here but didn't find work (that I wanted to do) and my 457 visa expires in August.

I've been investing for a number of years now and have decided I can do this from anywhere so have decided to pursue the route of digital nomad and travel the world.

I'd be very keen to discuss living outside of the UK but earning an income from stocks and shares traded on the world markets from a UK account. I'm particularly keen to keep british citizenship and NHS entitlement but am struggling to find information so I pay the correct taxes etc.

Finally I'd love to hear from anyone currently in Sydney, or that is remote working in India and Bali as those are my next 2 destinations. The site seems to have a great deal of information for people emigrating to a new country, how about a section for those wandering the planet with no country in mind?! :-)

Cheers,
Jez
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 6:25 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Becoming a Digital Nomad

Hello Jez and welcome to the forum

You're probably not thinking of Malaysia but we had a poster not so long ago thinking about something very similar. I've found the topic, so might be worth a read through. Bit of a long shot I know, but you might find some tips. You can follow this link below:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/malay...s-mm2h-849669/

The Malaysian MM2h visa can also be helpful for those earning outside of Malaysia but wishing to live there. Rules and regs to look at, but might be of interest. Any age is possible....though the regs are easier if over 50. Having said that, I know of quite a few folks who have got the visa at 30+

I don't think you have stated your age? If you're over 50, then the Thailand "retirement" visa may also be of interest. You don't actually have to be retired. I have friends with that visa who are actually working "remotely" on their computers and it seems to be an acceptable thing to do.

Anyway, some food for thought. Happy planning.
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 7:00 am
Just Joined

jezwhitaker is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Bakedbean!

I hadn't really thought of which countries I wanted to settle in yet, more just travel through each one until I think it's time to move on. Some places might be quite quick almost as holidays and some might be a few years. I'm 32 and Thailand is on my list as is Malaysia as I've spent time in both and could definitely spend a lot of time there - With the temperature in Sydney at the moment scraping 7 degrees I'm pushed to find a warmer country!

I will read around Malaysian visas a little more as while I'm looking at the best places to live I am also looking for the most efficient place to pay tax. I'm assuming you have good knowledge of the Malaysian visas / taxes? Do you know of any other countries that will grant you long visa stays at the age of 32? A lot of countries just seem to assume anyone that young will want to work which with technology now just isn't true (remote working instead).
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 7:19 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jezwhitaker
Hi! I'm Jez and I've been traveling through Asia since April 2014 and am currently living in Sydney, Australia. I was originally planning to stay here but didn't find work (that I wanted to do) and my 457 visa expires in August.

I've been investing for a number of years now and have decided I can do this from anywhere so have decided to pursue the route of digital nomad and travel the world.

I'd be very keen to discuss living outside of the UK but earning an income from stocks and shares traded on the world markets from a UK account. I'm particularly keen to keep british citizenship and NHS entitlement but am struggling to find information so I pay the correct taxes etc.

Finally I'd love to hear from anyone currently in Sydney, or that is remote working in India and Bali as those are my next 2 destinations. The site seems to have a great deal of information for people emigrating to a new country, how about a section for those wandering the planet with no country in mind?! :-)

Cheers,
Jez
You won't lose your citizenship, ever, unless you renounce it. However, once you leave the UK you immediately lose entitlement to use the NHS as that is a residency based benefit of LIVING in the UK. The NHS is now cracking down on health tourism, people living outside the UK but trying to use tha NHS. You will have to have a country where you are classed as resident, that is you spend the majority of your time there, and then you will have to pay taxes according to their tax system.
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 7:28 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know of any others. There may well be others but I don't really know.

One thing to say. Asia is not the place it used to be and do NOT think about doing visa runs. Get a proper visa. Sure, you may still get away with it and some folks do, but they are tightening up border rules these days. ASEAN rules and all that.

Anyway, try tagging on to that thread. That guy who started the thread might have some other ideas too.

Re NHS, I believe the rules have tightened up in the UK with expats. You cannot just go back and use the NHS. Well I think you can if you move back there. Otherwise it is Emergencies only when in the UK. (Someone correct me if this is incorrect, but that's what I've been told.)

Anyway, best to just get some medical insurance in the country you choose.
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 7:30 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
I don't know of any others. There may well be others but I don't really know.

One thing to say. Asia is not the place it used to be and do NOT think about doing visa runs. Get a proper visa. Sure, you may still get away with it and some folks do, but they are tightening up border rules these days. ASEAN rules and all that.

Anyway, try tagging on to that thread. That guy who started the thread might have some other ideas too.

Re NHS, I believe the rules have tightened up in the UK with expats. You cannot just go back and use the NHS. Well I think you can if you move back there. Otherwise it is Emergencies only when in the UK. (Someone correct me if this is incorrect, but that's what I've been told.)

Anyway, best to just get some medical insurance in the country you choose.

Yes they have, and rules are much more adhered to, GPs are beginning to ask the relevant questions of people.