British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Welcome Inn (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/)
-   -   Back from Blighty (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/back-blighty-701058/)

MadRad Jan 17th 2011 5:29 pm

Back from Blighty

Not been on here for a while, had Christmas and New Year in Scotland and followed it up by moving out of my house over there.

So great to see everyone back home and eat fantastic food! Life over there really isn't worse than here (apart from petrol costs!!), just different.

Moving was an epic though, the street was completely frozen and had approximately a foot of snow on top (which then froze!) Our poor removal men couldn't get the container down the street so that had to ferry all the stuff to it in a removal van. It's quite weird to think that our possessions are now packed in 457 boxes in a giant orange container.

Now I just have to find a house to put them in!

Ash UK/US Jan 17th 2011 5:32 pm

Re: Back from Blighty

Headed back in two weeks... can't wait for a decent bacon sandwich, a curry and a kebab, not all together though :o

Zap-Robo Jan 17th 2011 6:46 pm

You could dip a bacon sarnie in chip chop curry sauce though :) As a starter - then you can have the kebab as your mains :D

MadRad Jan 19th 2011 4:10 pm

Eating was awesome as long as you didn't look at the cost. None of the blandness you get here. On my trip I managed to get through a couple of proper fish suppers, decent Indian x2, roast lamb, cullen skink (yum!!), fine roast beef, pork medallions, assorted pates, oatcakes and chutneys, homemade cheesecake, proper Christmas dinner, and a few great pub meals. Not all at the same time obviously!

Living away really makes you appreciate the great food you can get at home!

TracyTN Jan 19th 2011 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by MadRad (Post 9113556)
Eating was awesome as long as you didn't look at the cost. None of the blandness you get here. On my trip I managed to get through a couple of proper fish suppers, decent Indian x2, roast lamb, cullen skink (yum!!), fine roast beef, pork medallions, assorted pates, oatcakes and chutneys, homemade cheesecake, proper Christmas dinner, and a few great pub meals. Not all at the same time obviously!

Living away really makes you appreciate the great food you can get at home!

If you had mentioned a kebab, my husband may have had to kill you out of food envy. LOL

Ash UK/US Jan 19th 2011 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by TracyTN (Post 9113567)
If you had mentioned a kebab, my husband may have had to kill you out of food envy. LOL

The local where I used to live do a great kebab and the garlic sauce it YUMMY! can't wait.

tonrob Jan 19th 2011 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US (Post 9114045)
The local where I used to live do a great kebab and the garlic sauce it YUMMY! can't wait.

Don't forget the gallon of ale as the mandatory amuse bouche...

TracyTN Jan 20th 2011 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US (Post 9114045)

Hubby still dreams of the greasy kebab wagon around the corner from him. HA.

Dan725 Jan 20th 2011 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US (Post 9108268)
Headed back in two weeks... can't wait for a decent bacon sandwich, a curry and a kebab, not all together though :o

Exactly what I always go for when I get back too....Its becoming a bit of a annual tradition to get the bacon butty from the stand at Gatwick airport train station every time :)

I also add proper chipshop chips to that list as well.