British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Welcome Inn (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/)
-   -   The B word again (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/b-word-again-921569/)

Bella65 Jan 29th 2019 7:58 pm

The B word again

Hi All I am a new member and just thought id ask for any words of wisdom you might have. We have been looking for a home in France for 3 years and finally found exactly what we want totally unexpectedly while visiting family at Christmas. We are 65 and 62 years old and retired.. Despite Brexit uncertainty it seems that those who have moved pre Brexit will be fine( fingers crossed) For us our C de V would happen before March 29 but the A de V would be after this date. We are in a quandry on whether to proceed. We know that buying the house should be fine as many non Eu citizens buy in France, it is all the other stuff such as whether we would be considered for a carte de sejour, even the annual one as discussed by President Macron last week. To have finally found a home only to be right on this edge is awful. I know no one knows what will happen 100% but as I said just looking for any thoughts anyone would like to share.

dmu Jan 30th 2019 6:53 am

Re: The B word again

Originally Posted by Bella65 (Post 12629429)
Hi All I am a new member and just thought id ask for any words of wisdom you might have. We have been looking for a home in France for 3 years and finally found exactly what we want totally unexpectedly while visiting family at Christmas. We are 65 and 62 years old and retired.. Despite Brexit uncertainty it seems that those who have moved pre Brexit will be fine( fingers crossed) For us our C de V would happen before March 29 but the A de V would be after this date. We are in a quandry on whether to proceed. We know that buying the house should be fine as many non Eu citizens buy in France, it is all the other stuff such as whether we would be considered for a carte de sejour, even the annual one as discussed by President Macron last week. To have finally found a home only to be right on this edge is awful. I know no one knows what will happen 100% but as I said just looking for any thoughts anyone would like to share.

Hi, and welcome to the forum!:)
This is a world-wide introduction section and not every one looks in. Post again in the France forum, where we'll try to advise, but can only speculate on the consequences of Brexit.
For practical info, take a look in the "Read-Me: Moving to France FAQs" at the top of the France forum, especially the "Growing old in France", "Inheritance Laws", "Partner status" (if you aren't married), and other threads. Before you leave, you should each obtain the S1 form from the DWP in order to have State healthcare coverage when you arrive, and budget for a "Mutuelle" (top-up insurance) since the French S.S. only reimburses 70% of medical costs (much less for dentures, glasses, hearing aids).