Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Anybody out in the Comox Valley?

Anybody out in the Comox Valley?

Old Jun 23rd 2012, 3:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

leith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anybody out in the Comox Valley?

We're moving to Comox next month. We did a lot of research on the area before deciding it would be a good move but there's nothing like first hand information. Anybody out in the Comox-Courtenay area? If so, what do you like/dislike about it? Anything hard to get or that you wish you'd brought with you? No kids so schools aren't a consideration.
Old Jun 23rd 2012, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

Lucky Bird is just really niceLucky Bird is just really niceLucky Bird is just really niceLucky Bird is just really niceLucky Bird is just really niceLucky Bird is just really niceLucky Bird is just really niceLucky Bird is just really nice
Default Re: Anybody out in the Comox Valley?

We live there - wish we didn't!
Old Jun 23rd 2012, 9:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

I do and wish I don't either! Have outgrown it.

Like asking how long is a piece of string? Depends what you want?

Expensive to have fun but if you have good high paying jobs/good pension no problem. We moved here 11 years ago, it was wonderful, quiet, nice people who greeted you when you went out walking and the skiing was affordable in winter. We had a boat too! Now it is busy, they keep finding ways to tax you more, people no longer greet you, lots of retirees , long waits at traffic lights, Superstore and Extra Foods - say no more! Box stores and a boring uninviting Cliffe Ave -(19A highway) If you want trendy boutiques forget it - Walmart it is and a couple of privately owned shops. No more fishing, there is nothing out there! Most of the boat ramps have been closed. New developments going in all the time but skant regard to services and how we cope with all this influx. No jobs even the basic wage ones are hard to come by. Hospital can't cope and long waits now for operations. New hospital to come but they have been talking about that for years and cannot decide where to put it, although I think they have but will take years to get off the ground, nothing is rushed here! Some nice golf courses if you play. Seems quite a lot of Brits live here, they are gathering at the Whistlestop pub on Sunday to watch the soccar. Both OH and myself work Sundays so can't attend.

On the positive side once the river opens 1st Oct, you can walk on the backs of the salmon - that is why OH is here Costco just opened if that is your favourite sho!! lots of clubs to join, nice walks, and lots to do if you have money. A few good restaurants. Nice marina. 35 min to Campbell River and 35 min to ski hill. An airport where you can fly Westjet to wherever you want in Canada. Retirees seem to have a lot of action of the outdoor type!

I can't wait to pack up I am so bored with everything here! Cant afford the skiing and don't play golf. Want to buy a B&B ???

Hubby likes it though but has a full time job now. When he first arrived he was semi retired, then a part time worker and now full time luckily. while I am now part time instead of full time!

Your best bet is to rent here for a few months. Stay away from the West Side of Courtenay, lots of homeless people now in Courtenay, they hang out in the library. Building a shelter for them, then soon I guess will come the "needle clinics"!
Old Jun 24th 2012, 12:39 am
BE Enthusiast

leith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your comments. I get the impression that Courtenay and Comox are quite different. We are retirees and like hiking, camping, gardening, and playing with other musicians so Comox looks good. The realtor we contacted advised against Courtenay although she said there were some "nice pockets" and my own impression of it is that it's more crowded and generally crummier that Comox. East Courtenay looks as if it's just an extension of Comox but seems to have bigger houses and be more occupied by younger families.
Old Jun 24th 2012, 4:56 am
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leith
Thanks for your comments. I get the impression that Courtenay and Comox are quite different. We are retirees and like hiking, camping, gardening, and playing with other musicians so Comox looks good. The realtor we contacted advised against Courtenay although she said there were some "nice pockets" and my own impression of it is that it's more crowded and generally crummier that Comox. East Courtenay looks as if it's just an extension of Comox but seems to have bigger houses and be more occupied by younger families.
Pretty accurate assessment - I would choose Comox!
Old Jun 24th 2012, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

Lucky Bird is just really niceLucky Bird is just really niceLucky Bird is just really niceLucky Bird is just really niceLucky Bird is just really niceLucky Bird is just really niceLucky Bird is just really niceLucky Bird is just really nice

Agreed - Comox is considered a retirement area. Nicer than Courtenay but they are adjoined so still near enough for town/facilities