Reload this Page >

Ahoy! Contemplating a move to Australia

Ahoy! Contemplating a move to Australia

Old Oct 31st 2011, 3:46 am
Just Joined

TheFunktopus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ahoy! Contemplating a move to Australia

Hello everyone,

I'm Mike, a 28 year old originally from Cheshire currently contemplating making the move from the UK to Australia in the next few years. I'm currently working for a Norwegian shipping line that operates ro-ro's and car carriers as an engine cadet, working toward qualifying in just over 18 month's time as a ship's engineering officer, a skill set that falls within the Skilled Occupation List. (Oh, if anyone here's just ordered a Volkswagen Scirocco recently, you'll be pleased to hear that we've delivered the first in Australia to Port Kembla, just last week.)

I've been through the Dept. of Immigration's Visa Wizard, and found that I would be eligible for a "Skilled - Independent (Migrant) (subclass 175) visa", whilst I already possess a transit visa my company arranged for me for our recent visit down under, the code for which escapes me right now. However, I haven't made any firm decisions yet, and would describe myself as merely gathering information at this stage, to see whether Australia really is for me, as my experience of the country so far stems only from a few day long port visits to Fremantle, Melbourne, Port Kembla and Brisbane.

Anyway, enough of my jabbering. It's great to be on board, I'm looking forward to gaining some pearls of wisdom, perhaps passing on some of my own and perhaps having a laugh while doing it.

Cheers!
Old Oct 31st 2011, 1:19 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ahoy!

Originally Posted by TheFunktopus
Hello everyone,

I'm Mike, a 28 year old originally from Cheshire currently contemplating making the move from the UK to Australia in the next few years. I'm currently working for a Norwegian shipping line that operates ro-ro's and car carriers as an engine cadet, working toward qualifying in just over 18 month's time as a ship's engineering officer, a skill set that falls within the Skilled Occupation List. (Oh, if anyone here's just ordered a Volkswagen Scirocco recently, you'll be pleased to hear that we've delivered the first in Australia to Port Kembla, just last week.)

I've been through the Dept. of Immigration's Visa Wizard, and found that I would be eligible for a "Skilled - Independent (Migrant) (subclass 175) visa", whilst I already possess a transit visa my company arranged for me for our recent visit down under, the code for which escapes me right now. However, I haven't made any firm decisions yet, and would describe myself as merely gathering information at this stage, to see whether Australia really is for me, as my experience of the country so far stems only from a few day long port visits to Fremantle, Melbourne, Port Kembla and Brisbane.

Anyway, enough of my jabbering. It's great to be on board, I'm looking forward to gaining some pearls of wisdom, perhaps passing on some of my own and perhaps having a laugh while doing it.

Cheers!
Hi there and welcome to B.E.

Just dropping by to welcome you to the forum and give you a point of contact should you need any help with the site in general. You can contact me here.

A list of all the moderators and helpers with their relevant countries including Australia can be found here.

I'm sure you can find your way around to the Australia and immigration fora for a read but if not, give me a hoy.

Any problems, dont hesitate to PM me.

Enjoy B.E.

Alistair.
Old Oct 31st 2011, 3:42 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ahoy! Contemplating a move to Australia

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary
Old Nov 1st 2011, 2:36 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ahoy! Contemplating a move to Australia

Originally Posted by TheFunktopus
Hello everyone,

Cheers!
Welcome to BE Mike.

I see Sherlock Holmes has given you the relevant links to get you started. The people who post in our Australia Forums will help you all they can.

I hope you enjoy your time with us.