Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

advice on moving to algarve

advice on moving to algarve

Old Jun 2nd 2015, 6:40 am
Just Joined

lindsey36 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default advice on moving to algarve

Hi all,im new to all this and would just like any advise and answers anyone can give..im a single mum of 2 boys who are 6&8 and for years have desperately wanted to move to the algarve..im a self employed beauty therapist and work from home and my ex husband has a boat in vilamoura so is out there alot...I wanted to know if I would be entitled to tax credits or any kind of help financially until I find a job..I eventually would hope to be self employed as a beauty therapist there too but until I build up a clientele then I would need a job and possibly some help with rent etc...any info would be much appreciated as I dont get a straight answer on gov.uk etc.
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 7:22 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: advice on moving to algarve

I doubt it very much as you won't be contributing to the UK economy.
looking on the Gov site: https://www.gov.uk/tax-credits-if-mo...outside-the-uk
You have a child - and get UK benefits or State Pension
If none of the sections above apply to you, you might be able to claim Child Tax Credit if you and your child live in a European Union (EU) member state and you get State Pension or one of the following benefits:

Incapacity Benefit
State Pension
Widow’s Benefit
Bereavement Benefit
Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit
contribution-based Employment and Support Allowance
Severe Disablement Allowance
You won’t be able to get Child Tax Credit if you don’t live in an EU member state, unless you (or your partner) are a Crown servant posted abroad.

I see you have found the Portuguese forum so hopefully someone can advise if you are entitled to anything. also you will need permission from you ex to remove the children from the UK - but guessing you know that already
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 7:43 am
Just Joined

lindsey36 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thankyou for your advise..yes myself and my ex have a great relationship and he's happy for me to take them there to live as he's there once a month for a week..would you have any advise on state schools please?
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 8:06 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lindsey36
..would you have any advise on state schools please?
that would be need to be answered in the Portugal section, myself I live in NZ so have no idea personally.