Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

What age did you leave ?

What age did you leave ?

Old Feb 9th 2014, 5:11 pm
Just Joined

Wanderingstar has a reputation beyond reputeWanderingstar has a reputation beyond reputeWanderingstar has a reputation beyond reputeWanderingstar has a reputation beyond reputeWanderingstar has a reputation beyond reputeWanderingstar has a reputation beyond reputeWanderingstar has a reputation beyond reputeWanderingstar has a reputation beyond reputeWanderingstar has a reputation beyond reputeWanderingstar has a reputation beyond reputeWanderingstar has a reputation beyond repute
Default What age did you leave ?

HI all,
I am a single professional guy 39 years of age who is well traveled and is basically really bored living where I am in North Wales. Pretty much all my friends are married with kids and my social life is at an all time low. I 'm bored with the same places and not meeting new people.
Anybody made the move abroad in a similar situation and how did it work out for them ?
Old Feb 9th 2014, 6:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

dfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What age did you leave ?

That's a great age to make a move. you've got life experience, the will to get up and go, and I doubt very much that you'll live to regret it. The hard part is choosing where to go, and getting a residence permit, although the latter will most likely depend on your job.
Old Feb 17th 2014, 1:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dfjordan
That's a great age to make a move. you've got life experience, the will to get up and go, and I doubt very much that you'll live to regret it. The hard part is choosing where to go, and getting a residence permit, although the latter will most likely depend on your job.
Hello Wanderingstar!

If you're asking about leaving the UK, my answer is: -1; 7; 17; 20; 24; 45... And counting ;-)

(I fit the category know as "Ping-Ponger" )

It's all worked out pretty well so far.

Joking apart, where would you like to go/what do you see yourself doing there/elsewhere?

Last edited by Shirtback; Feb 17th 2014 at 1:22 am.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 3:33 pm
Just Joined

1986mlob is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello!

I took off at 20, and I've been jetsetting the last 8 years!
Study abroad, internships and teaching English...
I think it'll slow down now though
Old Feb 20th 2014, 4:28 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wanderingstar
HI all,
I am a single professional guy 39 years of age who is well traveled and is basically really bored living where I am in North Wales. Pretty much all my friends are married with kids and my social life is at an all time low. I 'm bored with the same places and not meeting new people.
Anybody made the move abroad in a similar situation and how did it work out for them ?
You'll go from being billy-no-mates in the UK to billy-no-mates abroad - at 40 most people in most societies are married with young kids and are not interested in making new friends (unless you bat for the other side) - the 20-early 30 yr-olds will see you as ancient.

Move somewhere with more going-on than north Wales, but still in shooting distance so you can keep in-touch with old homies - probably Scouseland or Manc.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 4:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I was a bit bored too, and it's a terrible reason to emigrate.
Old Feb 22nd 2014, 9:55 pm
Forum Regular

glemo is a glorious beacon of lightglemo is a glorious beacon of lightglemo is a glorious beacon of lightglemo is a glorious beacon of lightglemo is a glorious beacon of lightglemo is a glorious beacon of lightglemo is a glorious beacon of lightglemo is a glorious beacon of lightglemo is a glorious beacon of lightglemo is a glorious beacon of lightglemo is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Wanderingstar
HI all,
Just do it , I decided very early in life , that I never wanted to be one to say - oh I wish I had done this or that....

I haven't really lived in the UK proper since 1978. We are toying with going back, we will see.

With people living longer - 39 is the new 19 .....lol