British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Welcome Inn (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/)
-   -   1 Way Van Hire Companies UK to Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/1-way-van-hire-companies-uk-spain-673469/)

Guilly Jun 22nd 2010 10:53 am

1 Way Van Hire Companies UK to Spain

Hi,

My partner and i are moving to Barcelona from London in September and we've been looking at 1 way van hire. We realsie that most of the companies don't have offices in Barcelona, but we're happy to drop our stuff off then drive further South to drop the van off, get a bit of sea and take a bus back.

My question is this- Has anyone used any one way van compaies? Can you recommend any good ones/ warn us against the dodgy ones?

The one company we've found so far want to be paid up-front, which seems really suspicious.

I'd really appreciate any thoughts you have.

Thanks

Ka Ora! Jun 22nd 2010 11:21 am

Re: 1 Way Van Hire Companies UK to Spain

Originally Posted by Guilly (Post 8648419)
Hi,

My partner and i are moving to Barcelona from London in September and we've been looking at 1 way van hire. We realsie that most of the companies don't have offices in Barcelona, but we're happy to drop our stuff off then drive further South to drop the van off, get a bit of sea and take a bus back.

My question is this- Has anyone used any one way van compaies? Can you recommend any good ones/ warn us against the dodgy ones?

The one company we've found so far want to be paid up-front, which seems really suspicious.

Thanks

Welcome to the Forum, I can see you have found the Spain section Mitzy and Fred are the Moderator so should you get any issues give them a shout

Once again welcome.....

Sue Jun 22nd 2010 11:58 am

Hi,

Thanks

Hi Guilly,

Welcome to the site. I'm sure you will find lots of info in our Spain forum, our members are great as sharing expereinces and tips.

The best of luck with your move, and enjoy your stay at BE :)

Sue

TestaRossa Jun 22nd 2010 2:56 pm

Hi,

Thanks

Van hire is the same as car hire and you always pay up front before you take the vehicle. You will also in all likelihood be asked for a fair sized deposit too which will be "held" on your credit card until the van is safely returned, so it's very normal! It will normally cost you a fair bit more, especially considering the distance, for a hire with a different drop off point as the van then has to be taken back to the original hire point by someone! :) You might be better trying to find a man with a van who will have factored all this into his price already.

Good luck and welcome to expats!! :thumbup:

Guilly Jun 23rd 2010 10:34 am

but we've been asked to pay 2 weeks before we pick the van up!

Does anyone knows way2go van hire? Just looking for references.

Thanks to all!!

TestaRossa Jun 23rd 2010 11:03 am

I guess it depends who you are hiring through. The bigger hire companies all do van hire. Some of them want you to pay when you book - if you do it on-line - and that sometimes gives you a much better rate. I can understand them wanting you to pay now tbh, they can't guarantee you will turn up if you don't pay, then they have lost a hire for that day. So you need to look at it both ways I think...If you are booking on-line, not that unusual. If you are doing it over the phone and aren't sure they exist, then I understand your reservations. Obvious way around it is to go and visit the place before you hand over the cash if you haven't already. :) I think they want to make sure you are serious as much as you want to make sure you aren't being scammed.

So, no, not unusual at all to pay up front for car/van hire.:) I'm guessing you don't do much car hire??

Casa Santo Estevo Jun 23rd 2010 11:59 am

Guilly, I can see you have posted the same question on the Spanish section. I hope you find your answer there, as all we can to is greet new posters.

Dewb09 Jun 23rd 2010 1:31 pm

Hi Guilly welcome to BE :thumbsup: Good luck with finding out about the van hire & your move to Spain :fingerscrossed:

Dewb