Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Zez's off topic chat split from thread in US Imm. Forum.

Wikiposts

Zez's off topic chat split from thread in US Imm. Forum.

Old Jan 13th 2013, 8:43 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Zez's off topic chat split from thread in US Imm. Forum.

Whether it's better here is so subjective. Pluses and minuses everywhere. Fresh veg is low quality but there are more restaurants. Maybe better healthcare but you certainly pay for it. More standardisation but less choice. Etc etc.
Old Jan 13th 2013, 8:56 am
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

I suggest reconsidering the 'only moving if it's for keeps' idea. A 2-3 year placement would effectively be the 'have your cake and eat it too' option. If you love it, you can ask for greencards to stay; if you don't, you won't have sold up, etc. at home, so you can go back having seen a bit of the world. I understand that multiple international moves may not be so appealing, but the scale goes down a bit if the initial move is not intended to be permanent. You can always go back and tie up loose ends if you decide to make it permanent.

One other thing: if you are negotiating, it sounds like you may be eligible for an H-1B yourself. Is it at all within the realms of possibility to ask for a position at the same company for you (with your own H-1B)? That way you'd be allowed to work from the outset. Of course, you and the position need to be suitable for an H-1B, but from what I've seen, the spousal hire angle can help push the employer over the motivation barrier.
Old Jan 13th 2013, 9:04 am
Zez
Forum Regular

Zez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really nice

I had thought of trying to get hired myself, but being an accountant was my before kids job! I'm still qualified, but 7 years out of date and v glad not to be working in that field anymore. good idea though! I've recently retrained as a teaching assistant.

We certainly wouldn't sell up here initially! I think we'd aim to not have to move back but reserve the right to chance our minds and bail out!
Old Jan 13th 2013, 9:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by retzie
I suggest reconsidering the 'only moving if it's for keeps' idea. A 2-3 year placement would effectively be the 'have your cake and eat it too' option. If you love it, you can ask for greencards to stay; if you don't, you won't have sold up, etc. at home, so you can go back having seen a bit of the world. I understand that multiple international moves may not be so appealing, but the scale goes down a bit if the initial move is not intended to be permanent. You can always go back and tie up loose ends if you decide to make it permanent.

One other thing: if you are negotiating, it sounds like you may be eligible for an H-1B yourself. Is it at all within the realms of possibility to ask for a position at the same company for you (with your own H-1B)? That way you'd be allowed to work from the outset. Of course, you and the position need to be suitable for an H-1B, but from what I've seen, the spousal hire angle can help push the employer over the motivation barrier.
Yes, I was thinking along these lines as well.
Old Jan 13th 2013, 12:26 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going to us with intention of staying...

Originally Posted by Zez
5 and 7. I'm not at all certain it would! I'm just of the mind that this kind of opportunity probably only comes up ones or twice in a lifetime and we'd be foolish not to consider it. Lets face it a better climate and therefore more outdoorsy life is attractive but otherwise I honestly have no idea. I've never even been to the us.
Better climate? Not in San Francisco, it's cold and foggy most of the year. The truest saying ever 'the coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco'

Don't get me wrong I love SF, it's one of the most wonderful cities anywhere, but when we go into the city and leave home 30 miles away and its sunny and 80, I always have my jeans and hoodie with me as a minimum, and that's in July. Thermals in the winter.