British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Youth Trainning... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/youth-trainning-246341/)

Yosser Aug 4th 2004 10:13 pm

Youth Trainning...

or YTS as it was called in my day! anyone else do it when they left school?

When I explain to people in the states, that most of my class left school at 16 and worked for 40 quid (about $70 a week) attended college on either block release or day school, they all think I'm making it up?

At the time I thought it was cool, earning and learning at the same time but quickly realised that potential employers were getting cheap labour.

Is there YT still going on in the U.K or did they scrape the idea?

jambo_2004 Aug 4th 2004 10:25 pm

Yeah I did one on joinery when I was 16 for a year. Mainly because high school was a complete waste of my time and I wanted to get away from the tossers there. I remember I got 42 quid a week and the average pay was 29.50 a week for most YTS schemes. I remember it being just as full of arseholes as school was and most of the people there were hash heads. I actually got sent on a placement with a company where the boss smoked hash like they were cigarettes (i.e he smoked them during tea breaks and while working) and talked disturbingly about school girls a lot. Lasted about a day with him after he told me to "get the kettle on" and I told him to ***** off :D
Good times.

mrsm Aug 5th 2004 12:27 am

Re: Youth Trainning...

£40 a week! I think I got £25 a week in 1981 on a YOP/YTS scheme. Worked as a seamstress making replica Victorian clothes for a museum. Friday afternoon we'd pop across the road to the pub for lunch (underage drinking :eek: tsk, tsk) we hardly ever made it back to work in the afternoon :beer: ;).

Yosser Aug 5th 2004 1:48 pm

My first YTS company was working for this rogue electrician, it lasted about a year, 1 week after passing my driving test, he gave me the company van to look after, it was a Diahatsu (sp?) Hi-jet, one of those really small mini vans with skateboard sized wheels.....

anyways I was racing my mate in his mini one friday night after a disco, and I had wound the Hi-jet beast upto 60mph, hit a hair pin bend, lost control done two 360's in the road and went down a farmers field backwards, finally after totally rolling the van twice, the windscreen smashing out and my mate that was sitting on the passenger seat ripped off the bolts and he landed in the back with the makita drills and rolls of cable.....

so of course I got the boot for that.....can't imagine why:rolleyes:

Yosser Aug 5th 2004 1:57 pm

1 Attachment(s)
I wonder what Texans would think, if they saw one of these cruzing around the Dallas-Fort worth Metroplex?

Ash UK/US Aug 5th 2004 6:56 pm

Originally posted by Yosser
I wonder what Texans would think, if they saw one of these cruzing around the Dallas-Fort worth Metroplex?
That is one of the motors I would call 'hummer food' if I saw it driving on the roads around here

Hummer referring to the SUV

Ash

Ash UK/US Aug 5th 2004 6:59 pm

I never did the YTS scheme however my mum owned her own business for a lot of years and was asked if she would talk a YTS kid on... what a night mare she refused to take on any more after her.

I have seen the commercial for the job corps on TV is that anything like YTS?

Ash :)