Reload this Page >

Your tips for speedy and cost effective move to USA from UK

Your tips for speedy and cost effective move to USA from UK

Old Nov 20th 2012, 9:19 pm
Just Joined

Rose Selavy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Your tips for speedy and cost effective move to USA from UK

Originally Posted by gryff31
However biggest problem was when we got to USA. finding a doctor to take me on and they hadn't done all my pre pregency no ob/gyn wanted to take me on.. finally found one, however.. catch was they wanted to run all tests again (and Charge me for full pregency care) Thank god for insurance.
Hmm for that bit, I rely on a friend that assured me I can go with her ob/gyn even beyond 32 weeks. However I am aware I will not have much choice if I don't like that friend of a friend doctor. From a few calls I made most said they're fully booked and I sense it was an excuse not to take me on so late in pregnancy
Old Nov 20th 2012, 9:23 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

My Mum flew over 36 weeks pregnant with me!

This was 30 years ago mind but she got a note from the Dr @ IBM whom my Dad was working for. Bit outdated, but shows it can be done!
Old Nov 20th 2012, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

New-and-unsure is just really niceNew-and-unsure is just really niceNew-and-unsure is just really niceNew-and-unsure is just really niceNew-and-unsure is just really niceNew-and-unsure is just really niceNew-and-unsure is just really niceNew-and-unsure is just really niceNew-and-unsure is just really nice

Originally Posted by Rose Selavy
Hmm for that bit, I rely on a friend that assured me I can go with her ob/gyn even beyond 32 weeks. However I am aware I will not have much choice if I don't like that friend of a friend doctor. From a few calls I made most said they're fully booked and I sense it was an excuse not to take me on so late in pregnancy
I'm 23 weeks pregnant and my OB has been great (but then I've been seeing him since 8 weeks) - PM me if you'd like the details, as that might be one you've not tried - based in Mountain View, so fairly close to Palo Alto.
Old Nov 21st 2012, 2:10 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, there is a fee for excess baggage, but it specs out nicely vs. the cost of say UPS or the Post Office. When I moved to Hong Kong I think we took 16 bags with us for the 'waiting for the boat' period. Not sure what the fee was as the company handled it, but from others I've heard it's pretty comparable to other shipping options.
Old Nov 21st 2012, 2:22 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

If the OP has her baby in the USA it will be a US citizen. This has obvious benefits when it comes to living and working in the USA, but also responsibilities, complications and difficulties when dealing with future taxes and finances, particularly if they ever return to the UK.

Also what insurance do you have in CA.....what is the company and what are your deductibles and max out of pocket costs?

Last edited by nun; Nov 21st 2012 at 2:26 am.
Old Nov 21st 2012, 11:04 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by New-and-unsure
I'm 23 weeks pregnant and my OB has been great (but then I've been seeing him since 8 weeks) - PM me if you'd like the details, as that might be one you've not tried - based in Mountain View, so fairly close to Palo Alto.
Very kind of you thanks! I am with PAMF and still have a few OBs to check before I exhaust my list of in network docs.Hopefully it wont be necessary

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Yes, there is a fee for excess baggage, but it specs out nicely vs. the cost of say UPS or the Post Office. When I moved to Hong Kong I think we took 16 bags with us for the 'waiting for the boat' period. Not sure what the fee was as the company handled it, but from others I've heard it's pretty comparable to other shipping options.
Sounds v good idea and a straightforward one too. I will check for sure.
Old Nov 21st 2012, 11:40 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Very kind of you thanks! I am with PAMF and still have a few OBs to check before I exhaust my list of in network docs.Hopefully it wont be necessary
OK so PAMF is the hospital network, but who is your insurer Blue Cross,
Aetna ? etc

http://www.pamf.org/physicians/healthplans.html

and do you have an idea of how much will be covered by insurance and how much you'll have to pay out of pocket? Also have you investigated the implications of your baby having US citizenship?
Old Nov 21st 2012, 9:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by nun
Also have you investigated the implications of your baby having US citizenship?
Only implication I see is the military service at 18 but I guess if it all gets too complicated he/she could renounce their citizenship no? Am I missing something major?
Old Nov 21st 2012, 9:31 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

Only implication I see is the military service at 18 but I guess if it all gets too complicated he/she could renounce their citizenship no? Am I missing something major?
Yes there is Selective Service, but the bigger issues are with finances and taxation. Having US citizenship and living outside the USA severely restricts the sort of financial products you should buy and complicates all aspects of taxation. This is obviously a long way off for your baby and it's relatively easy to renounce, but something to be considered.
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 2:56 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Top tip would be to not buy the house, unless you've already lived in the area a good while. Can be a very expensive and big mistake.

As for movers, find out who's contracted on the local end, check them out on the scam moving site. Ask about policy on storage costs, cost of inspections and x-rays if they're done or needed. As it's Thanksgiving, don't expect them to get you info on the US side that'll mean to much till next week.

Ring hospitals and doctors now, with your medical insurance info to see if they're taking new patients, more importantly, taking one so far along. They don't like to because of the liability. Make sure you have your medical records, but also know who to contact so that the doctor can get them directly if they prefer.

Baby crap. Well it'll be cheaper to buy a crib and all that guff in the US, but depending on where, can take a few weeks to deliver, but you can always get a pack and play for straight away. Do a baby registry with Babies RUS etc, online, that way when you buy this shit you get a discount and again after the baby is born.
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 7:52 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bob
Top tip would be to not buy the house, unless you've already lived in the area a good while. Can be a very expensive and big mistake.

As for movers, find out who's contracted on the local end, check them out on the scam moving site. Ask about policy on storage costs, cost of inspections and x-rays if they're done or needed. As it's Thanksgiving, don't expect them to get you info on the US side that'll mean to much till next week.

Ring hospitals and doctors now, with your medical insurance info to see if they're taking new patients, more importantly, taking one so far along. They don't like to because of the liability. Make sure you have your medical records, but also know who to contact so that the doctor can get them directly if they prefer.

Baby crap. Well it'll be cheaper to buy a crib and all that guff in the US, but depending on where, can take a few weeks to deliver, but you can always get a pack and play for straight away. Do a baby registry with Babies RUS etc, online, that way when you buy this shit you get a discount and again after the baby is born.

no, not buying yet.
great tips thanks
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 8:27 pm
Banned

Nora77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bink
My Mum flew over 36 weeks pregnant with me!

This was 30 years ago mind but she got a note from the Dr @ IBM whom my Dad was working for. Bit outdated, but shows it can be done!

Yes, but it was 30 years ago, now the procedures and rules for flying have changed a lot.
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 10:11 pm
Forum Regular

Keith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to all

We flew in from Australia with Qantas with 8 suitcases and was charged AU$50 per bag for those over the free allowance. Not sure if Qantas from th UK is an option.
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 5:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Shipping_Via_Airfreight