Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Your tips for speedy and cost effective move to USA from UK

Your tips for speedy and cost effective move to USA from UK

Old Nov 20th 2012, 9:34 am
Just Joined

Rose Selavy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Your tips for speedy and cost effective move to USA from UK

Hello everyone and thanks in advance for reading my post.

As I'm writing this my husband is negotiating a house in SF Bay (Palo Alto) which means we will have to move there by 15 December latest. I will be 32 weeks pregnant by then so we really need to speed up everything.

I am about to call removal companies for quotes and have read a lot of posts here with tips and recommendations but I need some advice on how to plan for a very cost effective and speedy move. I know these two don't go together and I'm trying to think creatively but I'm hoping to get some good tips here from those who have some experience.

We will be taking only our books, clothes, kids toys and very little kitchenware plus some of our precious furniture items which is 2 tables and few designer chairs. We leave behind beds, sofa, bookcases, appliances and bedding. No idea how I will sell all these in the next 4 weeks but I'm more concerned about what I will be taking with me now.

I have been given an estimate of 8-12 weeks which is really long as I will be having new baby by then and need some essentials. Should I opt for express delivery or something? Or pack things in suitcases and pay at the airport?

If these questions have been answered apologies and if they sound silly please let me know how far from reality I am. We may need to postpone the move so I need to know now and warn my husband

thanks again
Old Nov 20th 2012, 9:35 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Your tips for speedy and cost effective move to USA from UK

Originally Posted by Rose Selavy
Hello everyone and thanks in advance for reading my post.

As I'm writing this my husband is negotiating a house in SF Bay (Palo Alto) which means we will have to move there by 15 December latest. I will be 32 weeks pregnant by then so we really need to speed up everything.

I am about to call removal companies for quotes and have read a lot of posts here with tips and recommendations but I need some advice on how to plan for a very cost effective and speedy move. I know these two don't go together and I'm trying to think creatively but I'm hoping to get some good tips here from those who have some experience.

We will be taking only our books, clothes, kids toys and very little kitchenware plus some of our precious furniture items which is 2 tables and few designer chairs. We leave behind beds, sofa, bookcases, appliances and bedding. No idea how I will sell all these in the next 4 weeks but I'm more concerned about what I will be taking with me now.

I have been given an estimate of 8-12 weeks which is really long as I will be having new baby by then and need some essentials. Should I opt for express delivery or something? Or pack things in suitcases and pay at the airport?

If these questions have been answered apologies and if they sound silly please let me know how far from reality I am. We may need to postpone the move so I need to know now and warn my husband

thanks again
just to add that we are moving form central London to Palo alto if it makes a difference in timings and costs
Old Nov 20th 2012, 1:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

rallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to all

I assume that you'll be prepared with a letter from doctor/midwife as you will be beyond 28 weeks, which is the normal airline limit for travel without one, as far as I know.

Also, I assume you've checked with the health insurance company in the US that you'll be covered immediately on arrival in case the baby is early - bill for a birth can easily top $10,000 otherwise.

As for quick movement of goods, I used Transglobal Express to ship stuff air freight via DHL. Very reasonable at about £50 per 25kg box (in 2011) and it took around 5 days from pick-up to delivery.

Last edited by rallybug; Nov 20th 2012 at 1:27 pm.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 1:34 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Sending furniture via airfreight might be prohibitively expensive, but shipping is months rather than weeks.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 2:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

I will be 32 weeks pregnant by then so we really need to speed up everything.
Please make sure you will be covered by health insurance for the pregnancy/birth! You could be bankrupted without insurance should, heaven forbid, something unintended happen. Even one night in NICU.

That's about right for standard sea shipping - though mine took an additional month beyond the estimate due to broken ships and general incompetence. Air freight will be expensive. Maybe sort your stuff into things you absolutely need immediately, and those you can wait for. For example, the designer table isn't necessary; you can buy a cheap Walmart table for $20 to tide you over until the proper one arrives.

If you do decide to air freight stuff, find out what your baggage allowance is - and what's allowed in it. There are companies that will ship for cheaper than the price of excess baggage, though might take a day or three longer.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

halfmoon is just really nicehalfmoon is just really nicehalfmoon is just really nicehalfmoon is just really nicehalfmoon is just really nicehalfmoon is just really nicehalfmoon is just really nicehalfmoon is just really nicehalfmoon is just really nice

Check with the airline before you travel - can't speak for all but Delta have very flexible rules about traveling during pregnancy. I emigrated at 31 weeks and no one batted an eyelid. I would still recommend you get the doctor's letter as suggested - just in case. I also carried a big bag and wore a big jumper

I shipped my full household contents with GB Liners and can't recommend them highly enough. It went so smoothly and took less than 7 weeks door to door - I was quoted 8-12 weeks too so was one of the lucky ones. It worked out well for us as we unpacked before the baby arrived. Others have had good experience of just shipping boxes if you do a search on here.

It might sound obvious but if you decide to take stuff in suitcases, keep an eye on the weight. It usually works out cheaper to take extra cases rather than have an overweight case - and cheaper to book extra cases in advance when you check in online the day before.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 4:32 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

You can generally take about eight suitcases as excess baggage for a fee. Don't mess with suitcases. Get cheap duffle bags (they weigh less and hold more).

But verify the health insurance will cover you day one for an existing pregnancy. Talk to the hr staff and get a verification, not just an "umm, yeah, sure" but a clear and unequivocal answer as to your coverage. Could be a financial disaster otherwise.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 4:46 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

but I need some advice on how to plan for a very cost effective and speedy move.
Arguably those two things are diametrically opposed. I used Allied (Pickford's) last time, I tried to do it myself once which turned into a bit of a disaster (rented a container), so don't do that. Allied were okay, no real complaints tbh but really it depends on which movers you get on any specific day and what they're like at the local yard.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 5:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
Allied were okay, no real complaints tbh but really it depends on which movers you get on any specific day and what they're like at the local yard.
Like students on a summer placement who wrap your wine glasses in wads of paper - but then don't bother to support the stems, and pile stuff on top. So of course they were broken.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 5:15 pm

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
Like students on a summer placement who wrap your wine glasses in wads of paper - but then don't bother to support the stems, and pile stuff on top. So of course they were broken.
Not sure what was worse, although I know what smelt worse.
I had my home contents shipped from the UK by Pickfords. Someone scrawled graffiti on my Stetson hat box when it was being packed.
I had my belongings shipped from CA to TX by a local moving company and they packed a bag of dog poo in my trucking container! I left a poopa scoop with partially full bag hooked over it in the back yard of our Santa Monica home, ready for one last yard cleanup before I left. I couldn't find it. I found it when unpacking the contents some 3 days later.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 6:21 pm
Just Joined

Thank you all for your responses! I got in touch with some of the companies you suggested and checking the air freight alternatives. Health insurance in my case has been top top priority so I am covered and double covered just in case...BE has been huge help with all the personal experiences and info available in various posts so I knew what I had to look for and the right questions to ask when decisions had to be made!

Originally Posted by rallybug
I assume that you'll be prepared with a letter from doctor/midwife as you will be beyond 28 weeks, which is the normal airline limit for travel without one, as far as I know.

Also, I assume you've checked with the health insurance company in the US that you'll be covered immediately on arrival in case the baby is early - bill for a birth can easily top $10,000 otherwise.

As for quick movement of goods, I used Transglobal Express to ship stuff air freight via DHL. Very reasonable at about £50 per 25kg box (in 2011) and it took around 5 days from pick-up to delivery.
I am hoping to get a letter but the doc/midwife cannot guarantee now that I will have it in 3 weeks time as I need to be assessed closer to the time for anything that may complicate my travel and then get the letter!! So if its a NO I may have to be shipped with my stuff

Seriously my next research will be travelling to US by sea ...

Originally Posted by halfmoon
Check with the airline before you travel - can't speak for all but Delta have very flexible rules about traveling during pregnancy. I emigrated at 31 weeks and no one batted an eyelid. I would still recommend you get the doctor's letter as suggested - just in case. I also carried a big bag and wore a big jumper

I shipped my full household contents with GB Liners and can't recommend them highly enough. It went so smoothly and took less than 7 weeks door to door - I was quoted 8-12 weeks too so was one of the lucky ones. It worked out well for us as we unpacked before the baby arrived. Others have had good experience of just shipping boxes if you do a search on here.

It might sound obvious but if you decide to take stuff in suitcases, keep an eye on the weight. It usually works out cheaper to take extra cases rather than have an overweight case - and cheaper to book extra cases in advance when you check in online the day before.
Thanks! I checked GB liners on your recommendation. They gave me the shortest shipping times and the quickest surveyor appointment btw

Originally Posted by penguinsix
You can generally take about eight suitcases as excess baggage for a fee. Don't mess with suitcases. Get cheap duffle bags (they weigh less and hold more).

But verify the health insurance will cover you day one for an existing pregnancy. Talk to the hr staff and get a verification, not just an "umm, yeah, sure" but a clear and unequivocal answer as to your coverage. Could be a financial disaster otherwise.
Usually Flying with BA and hope to get a comfy seat using my extra miles so would rather go with them. But eight suitcases for free is not an option If I'm correct. They charge for every extra bag around £50. What airline do you have in mind?

Thanks to everyone for your tips
Old Nov 20th 2012, 6:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

I am hoping to get a letter but the doc/midwife cannot guarantee now that I will have it in 3 weeks time as I need to be assessed closer to the time for anything that may complicate my travel and then get the letter!!
Usually the airline requires a doctor's letter dated within a couple of days of the flight - might even be 24 hours. You need to check with the airline you're flying with as each has their own policies.

(Mine was asked on Emirates how many weeks pregnant she was - she wasn't pregnant ).

Seriously my next research will be travelling to US by sea ...
Not a bad idea. AIUI you can take as many bags as you can cram into your compartment - well, maybe within reason.

A birth at sea would be an interesting topic for nationality.

Usually Flying with BA and hope to get a comfy seat using my extra miles so would rather go with them. But eight suitcases for free is not an option If I'm correct. They charge for every extra bag around £50. What airline do you have in mind?
For a FEE was said, not for FREE! I was charged £90 for one additional bag (up to 30kg I think) - but I was flying on points in BA business class earlier this year.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

gryff31 is just really nicegryff31 is just really nicegryff31 is just really nicegryff31 is just really nicegryff31 is just really nicegryff31 is just really nicegryff31 is just really nicegryff31 is just really nice

Hi we are moving next week to Dallas Texas.. we are using Movecorp for shipping.. I have also left all furniture at home we are shipping 15 boxes and the cost of that is 900 pounds..(however this may be less for you as they picked up my things from Germany to UK then UK to Texas they say it will take 8 weeks for delivery.

We decided most things can be bought again for what we need straight away, until shipment arrives. so it didn't justify the cost of airfreight.

Goodluck with your move and new baby.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 8:19 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by GeoffM
Usually the airline requires a doctor's letter dated within a couple of days of the flight - might even be 24 hours. You need to check with the airline you're flying with as each has their own policies.

(Mine was asked on Emirates how many weeks pregnant she was - she wasn't pregnant ).

Not a bad idea. AIUI you can take as many bags as you can cram into your compartment - well, maybe within reason.

A birth at sea would be an interesting topic for nationality.

For a FEE was said, not for FREE! I was charged £90 for one additional bag (up to 30kg I think) - but I was flying on points in BA business class earlier this year.
Of course for a FEE! What a difference and R makes!

Good point I should check with airline the day from which this letter is valid from. So many parameters...no matter how much you check there's always something else.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

gryff31 is just really nicegryff31 is just really nicegryff31 is just really nicegryff31 is just really nicegryff31 is just really nicegryff31 is just really nicegryff31 is just really nicegryff31 is just really nice

When we moved to NC I was 29 weeks pregnant.. we flew with US airways and I went armed with loads of letters from midwives worrying they wouldn't let me on as I was huge!! and waddled like a duck.
but no one even batted a eyelid.. letters not needed.. no questions asked.

However biggest problem was when we got to USA. finding a doctor to take me on and they hadn't done all my pre pregency no ob/gyn wanted to take me on.. finally found one, however.. catch was they wanted to run all tests again (and Charge me for full pregency care) Thank god for insurance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.