Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Your Story: UK-US

Your Story: UK-US

Old Oct 19th 2012, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

ella2013 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Your Story: UK-US

I was born in Albany,NY in 1969 and adopted by British parents who were living in there at the time.They had also adopted a boy and had 4 biological sons.After my adoption went through we moved to UK and i was raised in Scotland.Not easy as a mixed-race child in the 70's and 80's but i survived lol.
When i was 24 i applied for a British passport and was refused even though i came to UK on my mums passport.Turned out i was never a UK citizen despite having lived here since i was 8 months old and done all my schooling and paid taxes etc.Anyway i had to Naturalise as a UK citizen so am now a dual citizen of UK/USA. Somehow when i was adopted and came through immigration as a baby my parents were never asked about me or my brother so i sailed through 24 years of naivety lol.
I first went back to USA at age 24 on the "Camp America" program and worked in the woods of Williamsburg, VA with girl scouts.It was really hard work but fun.I always wondered where my birth parents were but had no info on them.
In 1998 i went to another camp in upstate NY and hoped to do some searching after but no luck,but 6 months later i was back in Edinburgh at a support group for adopted adults when i was chatting to a guy who's Scottish birth mother in USA had an adoption website where she helped people search.Anyway to cut a long story short a match was made a year later whn my half sister in NH put in the hospital i was born,and date of birth.My mother had also given me a temporary name,Tina,which i knew about,so when the match was made it was pretty clear it was me!.Also my birth father is African American and mother Caucasian so everything matched up.I flew over to NH to meet my family and it worked out well and we are good friends.I went over to live there for 2 years in 2000 .After i came back i met my hubby and have been married 3 years.We are hoping to emigrate to USA in the new year,we are waiting to get an interview date soon for his visa.My birth mom will be a joint sponsor so i don't have to go over first.Fingers crossed it all goes well!! x
Old Oct 19th 2012, 2:50 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ella2013
I was born in Albany,NY in 1969 and adopted by British parents who were living in there at the time.They had also adopted a boy and had 4 biological sons.After my adoption went through we moved to UK and i was raised in Scotland.Not easy as a mixed-race child in the 70's and 80's but i survived lol.
When i was 24 i applied for a British passport and was refused even though i came to UK on my mums passport.Turned out i was never a UK citizen despite having lived here since i was 8 months old and done all my schooling and paid taxes etc.Anyway i had to Naturalise as a UK citizen so am now a dual citizen of UK/USA. Somehow when i was adopted and came through immigration as a baby my parents were never asked about me or my brother so i sailed through 24 years of naivety lol.
I first went back to USA at age 24 on the "Camp America" program and worked in the woods of Williamsburg, VA with girl scouts.It was really hard work but fun.I always wondered where my birth parents were but had no info on them.
In 1998 i went to another camp in upstate NY and hoped to do some searching after but no luck,but 6 months later i was back in Edinburgh at a support group for adopted adults when i was chatting to a guy who's Scottish birth mother in USA had an adoption website where she helped people search.Anyway to cut a long story short a match was made a year later whn my half sister in NH put in the hospital i was born,and date of birth.My mother had also given me a temporary name,Tina,which i knew about,so when the match was made it was pretty clear it was me!.Also my birth father is African American and mother Caucasian so everything matched up.I flew over to NH to meet my family and it worked out well and we are good friends.I went over to live there for 2 years in 2000 .After i came back i met my hubby and have been married 3 years.We are hoping to emigrate to USA in the new year,we are waiting to get an interview date soon for his visa.My birth mom will be a joint sponsor so i don't have to go over first.Fingers crossed it all goes well!! x
Nice story I hope it all works out well for you
Old Oct 19th 2012, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

ella2013 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks!
Old Oct 20th 2012, 1:00 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ella2013
I was born in Albany,NY in 1969 and adopted by British parents who were living in there at the time. They had also adopted a boy.... After my adoption went through we moved to UK and i was raised in Scotland....
This is pretty interesting! Were you refused a British passport because you were over the age of 18, and children adopted outside the UK must register before that age?

Glad it's all straightened out now and you've got both citizenships. Good luck in your upcoming adventure!
Old Oct 21st 2012, 2:05 am
Forum Regular

mamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond repute

I left the UK at age 50, after divorcing, and went to work as a scuba diving instructor in Egypt. I worked for the NHS all my working life.
After living there a few years, I met my USC husband, who had just taken early retirement and was enjoying his freedom and travelling.
We've been together almost 24/7, since the day we met.
We left Egypt, returned yo the UK, tied up my affairs there, got married in Copenhagen Denmark....stuck a pin in a US map,and that's how we landed up in Atlanta Georgia.... we've been happily living here for 6 years now.
Although my husband's a USC, he's originally from the midwest, and lived a lot of years in the north, he'd never lived down here in the deep south, so it was a totally new place for him too!!!
Old Oct 21st 2012, 4:42 am
Dizzy Blonde

clarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
...same here but anyone can read my "unfinished" blog and find out how I ended up here
*sigh* I love your blog
Old Oct 21st 2012, 2:49 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clarissageo
*sigh* I love your blog
Thanks honey

You had quite a remarkable journey as well. Proved what a strong mother you are
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 9:11 pm

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute

...same here but anyone can read my "unfinished" blog and find out how I ended up here
I just read your blog. My oh my what a journey! I've only recently found this forum. Like you, I wish I'd found it 20 years ago!
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 3:27 pm
Just Joined

mamma wamma is an unknown quantity at this point

I have just read your blog and all i can say is "WOW, you and your family are an inspiration". It just goes to show what can be achieved through strength, determination and unity
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 7:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

Met my US born wife at University in 1996, when she was over in England on an exchange year. She returned to the US at the end of the academic year in 1997 and we did the whole long distance thing for 18 months and she got a visa to live in the UK in late 1998.

Her UK visa renewal was rejected as she did not meet the employment conditions, so we got married 6 weeks later, and, rather than going on a honeymoon, spent a few days in NYC getting her visa sorted out.

After four years in England I applied for and got myself a spousal visa and we moved over to the US in May 2003 (Registering on this loverly website a few months later).

I finally got myself motivated for citizenship about a year ago and became a citizenship in January 2012.
Old Nov 21st 2012, 5:51 pm
Just Joined

mariettajohn is an unknown quantity at this point

Some of my family decided to visit the long lost family in Chicago, I was 25 at the time and went along for the ride, not knowing it would change my life forever. We were in Chicago for 4 weeks, after two weeks my dad got badly ill with a gallstone which meant he at to go to the ER, when i went into the hospital to see him there was a friend of the family there with her daughter who i completely ignored because i was really worried about my dad. But a week later I met her in a different situation, and people will say there is no such thing as love at first sight, well it was not first sight, but second, we talked a lot for the next few days, and i was pretty upset that I had met someone who seemed to really like me and now i was flying back to the UK.
Well our group decided that we should make a detour to Niagara Falls on the way back, from a holiday inn room in Niagara falls we talked on the phone and we decided to get married, so I called her up from the UK and sent her money to fly over. She came over 8 weeks later and we went off and got married without telling anyone, she was there for three weeks, and did not want to go home, but I told her that it was not fair to her parents if she suddenly told them she was staying, so she went home and 8 weeks later I come over to chicago and we had another wedding for her family.
We went back to the Uk but after a year we came over here and i worked in Mississippi for two years, we could not stand that, a small town in Miss, and me from London and her from Chicago that was hard, we went back to the UK but then i got laid off, by Robert Maxwell. So from the contacts i had made on my first stay here I landed a job in Marietta Georgia, where we still live.
So for all those doubters out there about love at first sight, this is my story, we married after actually knowing each other for three weeks, and that took place 38 years ago in 1974, I am still English will Never I repeat never become an American, and live in Georgia, surrounded by my three kids two of which were born in the UK, and my 9 grandchildren all of which were born in Georgia.
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 1:14 am
Banned

JRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to all

Hi. My name's Jake, and I'm an alcoholic.

Oops wrong forum. Let me begin again.

Hi. My name's Jacie and I am a transexual hooker. I met my USC boyfriend in Thailand while he was taking part in a UN mission. He is in the army. It was love at first sight. For me it was his money, power and uniform. For him it was my pneumatic breasts and my ambiguity. We applied for a K-1 visa and things looked peachy.
However, imagine my shock when just after he decided to move into Intelligence I found out that he was married and having an affair with a much younger women with similarly big tits!
The I129f petition is obviously invalid now, so I shall just have to wait for him to get a divorce I guess.
Ho hum.
Happy Thanksgiving everyone
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 1:38 am
Banned

Ethelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond repute

I met my USC wife in 2002, she visited me in the UK twice, then I moved over here in 2003. Gradually moved up in the rental market, ended up leaving FL to live in MA, got a divorce, now back in FL with nothing to show for it all.

I am debating whether to go back home or not. I am 60/40 in favor of going back. Unlike others who have property, 401k's, family and friends, I have nothing to lose by going to home, in fact, I would probably be better off.
Old Nov 25th 2012, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

Okuda will become famous soon enoughOkuda will become famous soon enough

I'm from the UK, he's from the US, Met in 2006, married in 2007, I moved to the states, had our first daughter in 2009, our second in 2011 and now we are in the process of moving back to the UK!
Old Nov 26th 2012, 1:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mamma wamma
I have just read your blog and all i can say is "WOW, you and your family are an inspiration". It just goes to show what can be achieved through strength, determination and unity
+ 1 what an amazing chronicle...such a strong family!
I came over the same year as a 19 year old and alone.