British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Your help pse RE Grand Canyon (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/your-help-pse-re-grand-canyon-629182/)

Mitzyboy Sep 11th 2009 5:54 pm

Re: Your help pse RE Grand Canyon

Thanks again peeps. Hoover Dam is a bit concerning, I dont have the time to be caught up in a two hour traffic jam when I have a 5 hour journey ahead.

I'm being offered satnav at $11 a day by the car hire company. If I get a decent map book of the areas is that generally good enough? I know its a bit of a daft question but my past driving in the states has proved its pretty well signposted and the roads are good (Southern California & Florida)

N1cky Sep 11th 2009 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy (Post 7908334)
I dont really want to go to Lake Havesu tbh, but it was only really included as a stopover between GC and LA.

We found Havasu was the only option for a stopping point between the 2 places aswell, make sure you time it so you spend your day at the GC and drive to Havasu late afternoon to arrive in the evening, as there is absolutely nothing to do there.

Originally Posted by Steerpike (Post 7912225)
Be aware, the Hoover Dam is in the midst of a major, major road-works project - they are building a bridge over the whole thing, getting the traffic off the dam itself. There can be delays of several hours. I would LOVE to see the construction (this is a MAJOR project!) but when I had to get from PHX to LV for a show (ie, deadline), I bypassed it.

We have been while construction was ongoing. Although we were held up, it was only 20-30 mins. The bridge is looking spectacular.

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy (Post 7923720)
Thanks again peeps. Hoover Dam is a bit concerning, I dont have the time to be caught up in a two hour traffic jam when I have a 5 hour journey ahead.

I'm being offered satnav at $11 a day by the car hire company. If I get a decent map book of the areas is that generally good enough? I know its a bit of a daft question but my past driving in the states has proved its pretty well signposted and the roads are good (Southern California & Florida)

Driving in LA can be a bit of a nightmare without Sat Nav, signposting is fairly non-existant.

Then again, I am a terrible map reader and having the Sat Nav has saved countless arguments between me and hubby.

Hope you have a great trip. A few years ago we did a similar thing from the UK and actually got married in Yosemite. We did 8 hotels in 21 days with a 4 year old. Had a fantastic time and something I won't ever forget.

sambuc Sep 12th 2009 3:16 am

I personally think you ought to just stay in Vegas, sit by a pool and order Margaritas.....

Jerseygirl Sep 12th 2009 3:21 am

Originally Posted by sambuc (Post 7924719)
I personally think you ought to just stay in Vegas, sit by a pool and order Margaritas.....

He could do that in Spain.

sambuc Sep 12th 2009 3:29 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 7924726)
He could do that in Spain.

Very true, but with only 15 days to do so much, it might be better to really experience a couple of things rather than try and cram too much into one visit.

One other option for the Grand Canyon is to take the Train from Williams up to the GC. They stage a hold-up on the train and is supposed to be alot of fun, you get a few hours at the GC when you arrive and then take the train back.

Hang on a minute, why haven't I done this....:blink:

Mitzyboy Sep 12th 2009 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by N1cky (Post 7923737)
We found Havasu was the only option for a stopping point between the 2 places aswell, make sure you time it so you spend your day at the GC and drive to Havasu late afternoon to arrive in the evening, as there is absolutely nothing to do there.

Ive come to that conclusion myself. Theres only so many times you can walk over London Bridge :D

Originally Posted by sambuc (Post 7924719)

That seems like an admirable idea sambuc! Unfortunately it would end in certain divorce

Originally Posted by sambuc (Post 7924733)
Very true, but with only 15 days to do so much, it might be better to really experience a couple of things rather than try and cram too much into one visit.

Its a retirement event for my wife, so our daughter is coming and had limited time off work unfortunately. We wont be able to make Bryce Canyon, Monument Valley and quite a few other places so I suspect we will be back at a more leisurely pace sometime in the future

fatbrit Sep 12th 2009 1:57 pm

Just cross the Colorado at Laughlin.

Steerpike Sep 12th 2009 7:22 pm

Hoover Dam traffic is VARIABLE ... several folks have made it quickly, but they also conduct random security checks and it can apparently take a long time (side note - one of the justifications for the dam bypass is terrorism - if someone were to blow the dam, it would be devastating for the western US!). If you are driving mid-week, mid-day, I'd say risk it. Weekends - maybe not.

SATnav (commonly called GPS here) - you can buy a great Garmin Nuvi for prob. the same cost (could pay for itself on one trip; maps for other countries can be loaded but may end up costing too much - though I see the one linked to has both Europe and US - a new deal!) - http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...lang=en-US&s=1 I love these devices! My new car has a built in GPS that is far less useful (and was a $2k extra!); I always pull out the Garmin when I rent a car.

What I LOVE about having a GPS is - you can completely wander off the beaten path - dive into a residential neighborhood in Sedona, for example, just to see 'how locals live', get wrapped up in dead-ends/etc, or - just drive off on some interesting-looking road to 'see where it goes' ... and still find your way back.

Jaxbar Sep 12th 2009 7:37 pm

2 Attachment(s)
Just went through hoover dam other week on way to south rim from vegas on a coach, went without a problem but driver did say they can sometimes not allow you through when there are security alerts and you have to go back around the really long way?

It was a long journey for one day but we were time limited and it was relaxing on the coach with movies playing.

Mitzyboy Nov 1st 2009 7:43 am

A little late, but I wanted to thank you all for your advice. We had a wonderful time, although wasn't too keen on Los Angeles.
Yosemite & the GC were amazing, and it was well worth taking the river trip, albeit we were in the same raft as a bunch of Japanese tourists which was quite amusing. Heres a few shots ... thanks again

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...nyon-3-web.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...ile-drop-w.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...uise-4-web.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...uise-2-web.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...Dusk-4-web.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...t-Dusk-web.jpg

ian-mstm Nov 1st 2009 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy (Post 8061476)
Heres a few shots ... thanks again

Absolutely wonderful photos. Thanks for posting! :)

Ian

Cowboy Tough Nov 1st 2009 3:51 pm

If you're single you have to make a stop at the Bunny Ranch right outside of Vegas. It's a full service gentlemens club. My buddies went out to Vegas with their wife's and after taking care of the wife's needs (trinket shopping and whatnot) they parked the ladies at the Spa so they could get new hairdo's and everything and the boys headed out to the Bunny Ranch in the rental car. After the wife's got all dolled up they took a 2 hour motor coach tour the hotel offers to guests..The tour stopped briefly at the Bunny Ranch and the wife's recognized their rental car in the lot. When my buddies got back to the hotel the bags and the women were gone, and when my pals eventually made it home all their stuff was in the yards..Fortunately they both eventually reconciled but those ole boys were in the doghouse for years! LOL

Mitzyboy Nov 1st 2009 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by Cowboy Tough (Post 8062182)
If you're single you have to make a stop at the Bunny Ranch right outside of Vegas. It's a full service gentlemens club. My buddies went out to Vegas with their wife's and after taking care of the wife's needs (trinket shopping and whatnot) they parked the ladies at the Spa so they could get new hairdo's and everything and the boys headed out to the Bunny Ranch in the rental car. After the wife's got all dolled up they took a 2 hour motor coach tour the hotel offers to guests..The tour stopped briefly at the Bunny Ranch and the wife's recognized their rental car in the lot. When my buddies got back to the hotel the bags and the women were gone, and when my pals eventually made it home all their stuff was in the yards..Fortunately they both eventually reconciled but those ole boys were in the doghouse for years! LOL

So what you are saying is I have to make a stop there if I want a divorce :lol: