Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Your favourite city in your state?

Your favourite city in your state?

Old Jun 26th 2012, 2:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your favourite city in your state?

Originally Posted by Bob
The 10 minutes it takes to walk across the high street

It is a really lovely town though...and that Wholefoods, for a small town, can we say a bit big

Boston is great, but the McD's by cheers has been torn out, so makes it a bit of a mission...that and pushing kids in a pushchair around is one of the least fun things to do in Boston. Can't wait till Bobette #2 can walk, properly...it's either war with the pushchair, or she kicks me in the balls in that tummy carrier :/
Can I say if possible I'm always a tad underwhelmed by Boston...maybe I'm missing something but after the aquarium, children's museum, museum of art, etc... what else is there? The restaurants seems a bjt touristy and pricey and Fanuil Hall is well...meh after Covent Garden.. I say this as Boston is my city fix but what am I missing and where is the buzz and energy you get in NYC and London?
Old Jun 26th 2012, 2:48 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Montfan72
Can I say if possible I'm always a tad underwhelmed by Boston...maybe I'm missing something but after the aquarium, children's museum, museum of art, etc... what else is there? The restaurants seems a bjt touristy and pricey and Fanuil Hall is well...meh after Covent Garden.. I say this as Boston is my city fix but what am I missing and where is the buzz and energy you get in NYC and London?
Well the tourist thing is just that, you're really got to get around a bit. The best bit about the tourist area is Haymarket, it really is one of the best open air markets around, though they're finished a new building and will sadly be moving that indoors soon.

You need to check out places like the Prudential Centre, Copley Plaza area, so many fun shops and things to see.

Check out Jamaica Plain, the shops, pubs, parks, so much fun to see, the Sam Adams brewery tour is kind of fun.

Cambridge area is great, check out the MIT campus, it's superb looking and there are loads of fun places to explore in the area.

Allston, Chestnut Hill, Havard and then all the hotels along the water front usually have weird and fun events going on during the summer and check to see if there is a free event going on at the Microsoft Office, NERD Centre in Kendall Square because they have one of the best views over the Charles River in town and while there, see if there's an event going on at the British Consulate, because that's quite fun too.

There's more to Boston than Faneuil Hall and the tourist trap of the block and Fenway.

So many fun and random hole in the wall type places to go eat, have snacks and a drink that aren't geared to the tourists.

One of the best Italian restaurants we've eaten at, a couple of times, Cafe Marliave in Beacon Hill was really cheap and late at night, they gave everyone free slices of any left over cake. It's down a side alley found by luck. There are so many of these type of places around.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 3:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

If you're expecting Boston to give a buzz like New York and London, then you will be disappointed. There are not many cities in the world that have that buzz you're talking about - and I know what you mean. New York, London, Paris, maybe Rome...

Boston has an interesting history so the Freedom Trail is certainly worth checking out. A baseball game at Fenway Park is an experience. The JFK Museum & Library is worth a look. There are many other interesting things to see and do in Boston.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 11:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

Some great ideas there Bob, thanks. I do love love the Beacon Hill area and Cambridge is really nice too, it just doesn't have that elusive 'buzzy' atmosphere which I crave sometimes...Maine isn't really very 'buzzy' ya know.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 12:27 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

I muct say I prefer Boston's somewhat lower-key buzz. I have children who live in both London & NYC, & visiting both those cities can be just too "buzzy" for me.

I feel like I can breathe in Boston . . . or perhaps hesitate for a moment on the sidewalk there & NOT get mowed down by impatient 'natives'. I like the T better than either the London tube or the NY subway too.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 12:51 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Some great ideas there Bob, thanks. I do love love the Beacon Hill area and Cambridge is really nice too, it just doesn't have that elusive 'buzzy' atmosphere which I crave sometimes...Maine isn't really very 'buzzy' ya know.
Aye, I agree, it's not really the same kind of buzzy vibe, but there's so much to do and see. Boston is huge and rambles on.

Well worth checking out other towns in the state too for a bit of a detour, depending on how you come down here. All worth a punt and very different feel.

You definitely should walk the minute man trail out to Lincoln and Concord, it's such a lovely spot for a picnic and then explore those towns in the area before hitting beantown.

And yeah, I know what you mean about Maine, some great cities, but Portland is really the only one that might be described as a proper city
Old Jun 26th 2012, 1:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Boston is great, but the McD's by cheers has been torn out, so makes it a bit of a mission...
They have one on Tremont St, near the movie theater. Right across from the Common.

http://goo.gl/maps/eDBG
Old Jun 26th 2012, 2:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Aye, I agree, it's not really the same kind of buzzy vibe, but there's so much to do and see. Boston is huge and rambles on.

Well worth checking out other towns in the state too for a bit of a detour, depending on how you come down here. All worth a punt and very different feel.

You definitely should walk the minute man trail out to Lincoln and Concord, it's such a lovely spot for a picnic and then explore those towns in the area before hitting beantown.

And yeah, I know what you mean about Maine, some great cities, but Portland is really the only one that might be described as a proper city
I find the whole of MA to be unnervingly quiet. Even in the middle of say Cambridge there is a distinct lack of noise, it's like being in a city version of a library.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 2:12 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nethead
I find the whole of MA to be unnervingly quiet. Even in the middle of say Cambridge there is a distinct lack of noise, it's like being in a city version of a library.
That sounds like my kind of place
Old Jun 26th 2012, 2:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
That sounds like my kind of place
It is weird. So probably yes, your kind of place
Old Jun 26th 2012, 2:19 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

It is weird. So probably yes, your kind of place

Weird is good. If it is done correctly ...
Old Jun 26th 2012, 2:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing

Weird is good. If it is done correctly ...
I would say it's more of a uncanny kind of weird than a good weird...
Old Jun 26th 2012, 2:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Grand Rapids, of the bigger cities I think this one is better one.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 2:53 pm
I have a comma problem

I would say it's more of a uncanny kind of weird than a good weird...
Hmm.

The quietness still has me partly sold though
Old Jun 26th 2012, 8:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

I agree...it's lovely but very un-city like. Every seems very preppy and conservative, all dockers and polo shirts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.