Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Your favourite city in your state?

Your favourite city in your state?

Old Jun 3rd 2012, 8:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your favourite city in your state?

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
Are the women going to stripper bars? There must be some places where women go. If not it would be a tremendous business opportunity. I look forward to visiting Alaska some day, probably not Fairbanks. Did you invent the menopause quip? Or is it common usage?
No the women go to Mad Myrnas or if they have any sense they don't go to bars at all.
The Fairbanks quip is my take on the madly changeable weather there. From -60F in the winter to 90F in the summer.
Old Jun 4th 2012, 7:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Bomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond repute

I was born and raised north of Utica, NY. My favorite town is Cooperstown.

I love Saratoga Springs too...

And would love a lakeside camp on my favorite lake in the Adirondacks...Indian Lake.

Here in Texas, I like Mustang Island and further north, Rockport. On the Texas Riviera.
Old Jun 4th 2012, 12:52 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
The husband loves RI! He'd kill to live there, and the house price & property tax situation is so much less expensive than the CT shore. We've made many trips to RI & even went round with a realtor (found a possible fixer-upper too) but the family ties are in southern CT & northern PA, so we decided we can't live that far north, at least not before more thoroughly looking at CT, & perhaps the Hudson Valley (NY).

I love RI, myself. Have you looked at Newtown, Connecticut? My ex lives there and the homes weren't as expensive as any of the more prestigous cities along the coast line of CT. It is a relatively small town and might have the atmosphere you desire.

There is also Canaan, Connecticut but not sure just how expensive the homes and taxes are there. But it is a quaint town. David Letterman lives in that area.
Old Jun 4th 2012, 3:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Annapolis, Maryland.

Good bars & restaurants, on the water (Chesapeake Bay), "Sailing Capital of the United States", Naval Academy, State House, etc.
Old Jun 4th 2012, 4:40 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
I love RI, myself.
We would buy there in a heartbeat if family didn't live 3 hours away minimum (some family as far as 7 hours). Part of the reason we moved to the States was to be able to be in better touch with the relatives settled here, so it seems crazy to put ourselves so far away. But we really like the whole feel of RI, especially the slower pace of life in some of the bay towns.

Have you looked at Newtown, Connecticut? My ex lives there and the homes weren't as expensive as any of the more prestigous cities along the coast line of CT. It is a relatively small town and might have the atmosphere you desire.
We have friends there too, who pressed us to consider Newtown. They bought 20 years ago when both the houses & the town itself were smaller. It's a pretty town now, but not really as walkable as we want (a car is still needed to go almost everywhere) & house prices have crept up since 2008. Prices are high-ish for what we need, though of course not high for Fairfield County.

There is also Canaan, Connecticut but not sure just how expensive the homes and taxes are there. But it is a quaint town. David Letterman lives in that area.
Yes, we've made several exploring trips up to Litchfield County. I've heard that county has a fair number of celebs who own country houses. It's beautiful up there, so I can see why. But we need a train station, and the railroad there isn't for passengers, only frieght--though we did hear there have been past attempts to get funds to bring back the passenger service.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 3:59 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rpjs
Well I live in New York, so at the risk of sounding snobbishly metropolitan, its a bit of a no brainer: NYC, just for all the stuff it has.

However, we do live out in the 'burbs, and in fact the town we live in, Tarrytown, NY, is pretty amazing. We have a great Main Street with good shops, lots of excellent independent restaurants, and we have a live music venue in the shape of the Tarrytown Music hall (although admittedly the acts they book tend to be all aimed at the over-40s audiences). We live just a few minutes from the Metro-North station, and the rail service to Manhattan (35-50 mins) is so good that we still haven't got around to getting a car.

Having said that, we also really like Cold Spring, NY for its antique shops and eating places and its fantastic setting. If it wasn't so far out for commuting I'd consider moving up there as well.
Tarrytown is lovely
Old Jun 5th 2012, 3:59 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Mine is NYC where I live!
Old Jun 5th 2012, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

I love South Portland and the neighborhood around the beach, very sweet older homes with mature landscaping and an awesome bakery with the most amazing bagels. Its the best place to get a coffee and then meander down to the beach with your dog and kids.
I hesitate to say Portland as it always seems a bit grim to me, lots of homeless folk wandering about and empty store fronts along the main street.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 10:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jan Alaska
No the women go to Mad Myrnas or if they have any sense they don't go to bars at all.
The Fairbanks quip is my take on the madly changeable weather there. From -60F in the winter to 90F in the summer.
90F? I lived there for a few years back in the 90's and remember the summers as being very pleasant and dry...mid 70's. The winters however couldn't be described as temperate. It's quite a peculiar feeling having your nose hairs freeze.
Old Jun 21st 2012, 6:51 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

So anyone got a favourite stop off point in New Hampshire, that's along I-95, around Portsmouth area?

Or anywhere fun to eat in Portsmouth that's not to pricey?
Old Jun 26th 2012, 12:08 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Montfan72
I love South Portland and the neighborhood around the beach, very sweet older homes with mature landscaping and an awesome bakery with the most amazing bagels. Its the best place to get a coffee and then meander down to the beach with your dog and kids.
I hesitate to say Portland as it always seems a bit grim to me, lots of homeless folk wandering about and empty store fronts along the main street.
Willard Beach? It is lovely round there...
Old Jun 26th 2012, 2:04 am
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Andover and Newburyport as possible northern contenders and Plymouth for the south.
Woot, woot

I'll be lame and say Boston. A summer's day on the common eating Mcdonalds then taking a stroll around the city - can't beat it IMO.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 2:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by kins
Willard Beach? It is lovely round there...
Yes, one of my favorites...where are you? Pm me if you want to chat.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 2:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by hobbes79
Woot, woot

I'll be lame and say Boston. A summer's day on the common eating Mcdonalds then taking a stroll around the city - can't beat it IMO.
I have in-laws in Andover and I have to say I'm slightly jealous of their old and charming neighborhood along with sidewalks and walkable parks and shops. Lovely together although more expensive than my suburban Maine lifestyle.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 2:14 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hobbes79
Woot, woot

The 10 minutes it takes to walk across the high street

It is a really lovely town though...and that Wholefoods, for a small town, can we say a bit big

Boston is great, but the McD's by cheers has been torn out, so makes it a bit of a mission...that and pushing kids in a pushchair around is one of the least fun things to do in Boston. Can't wait till Bobette #2 can walk, properly...it's either war with the pushchair, or she kicks me in the balls in that tummy carrier :/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.