Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Your favourite city in your state?

Your favourite city in your state?

Old Jun 1st 2012, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your favourite city in your state?

Originally Posted by HumphreyC
Where in CT are you - the NYC end ? There were some beautiful (and expensive looking) places down there when I last went down. Stamford was pretty bland looking though and Bridgeport looked like some post-apocalyptic nightmare.
Eastern CT, past New Haven, or as my wife likes to call it, "temporarily occupied Western Rhode Island" (see if you can guess which state she's from) is really nice and even has commuter rail to central/western CT (and with connections, and it takes an age, to NYC). Southern RI, OH's home turf, is really nice, and whilst the bits right near the ocean are $$$ you don't have to go very far inland to find nice places that aren't too expensive.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 5:31 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Slowvannah except around St Patrick's Day.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 5:32 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zargof
Slowvannah except around St Patrick's Day.
That celebration of a Welsh cleric really ****s it up for everyone, doesn't it?
Old Jun 1st 2012, 6:53 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HumphreyC
Where in CT are you - the NYC end ? There were some beautiful (and expensive looking) places down there when I last went down. Stamford was pretty bland looking though and Bridgeport looked like some post-apocalyptic nightmare.
Yes, we don't consider Stamford to have the kind of walkable town center we'd like, and Bridgeport is definately to be avoided. We're about halfway up the coast in Milford right now, which has a decent (though small) town center. We're comfortable for now here, but the husband doesn't like the Post Road ticky-tacky shopping strips everywhere & he hates the Milford Mall, which snarls traffic for a mile around when it's busy. He wants a quieter town, although we love the proximity to New Haven for cultural events, music, etc.

Originally Posted by rpjs
Eastern CT, past New Haven, or as my wife likes to call it, "temporarily occupied Western Rhode Island" (see if you can guess which state she's from) is really nice and even has commuter rail to central/western CT (and with connections, and it takes an age, to NYC). Southern RI, OH's home turf, is really nice, and whilst the bits right near the ocean are $$$ you don't have to go very far inland to find nice places that aren't too expensive.
Ah yes, we've explored the whole CT coast & RI's coast as well. I like Branford (CT) but the OH finds it still too ticky-tacky, yet the towns east of that get very small & we'd prefer not have to depend on the Shoreline East trains, which seem too infrequent & unreliable.

The husband loves RI! He'd kill to live there, and the house price & property tax situation is so much less expensive than the CT shore. We've made many trips to RI & even went round with a realtor (found a possible fixer-upper too) but the family ties are in southern CT & northern PA, so we decided we can't live that far north, at least not before more thoroughly looking at CT, & perhaps the Hudson Valley (NY).
Old Jun 1st 2012, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
The husband loves RI! He'd kill to live there, and the house price & property tax situation is so much less expensive than the CT shore. We've made many trips to RI & even went round with a realtor (found a possible fixer-upper too) but the family ties are in southern CT & northern PA, so we decided we can't live that far north, at least not before more thoroughly looking at CT, & perhaps the Hudson Valley (NY).
We live in the Hudson Valley but it's still very expensive to buy and the property taxes are high. Ossining seems a bit cheaper, probably because of the prison, and some of the towns and villages north of Croton are cheaper too, but the rail commute into NYC is a lot lot longer.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 10:06 pm
Forum Regular

bostonbound will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Bob
If you had to pick a favourite city in your state, bonus if it is one you don't live in it, what would it be?

I'd think Concord, MA is my favourite just because it has a lovely down town, plenty of fun indie shops to walk around, great parks, lovely location.

Honourable mentions would have to be the neighbouring Acton and Lincoln, as they're very similar.

If heading a bit further out, I'd say Northampton, MA for similar reasons, just a lovely town, with a bunch of fun breweries near by and a great launch pad for other fun visits towards western Mass.

Andover and Newburyport as possible northern contenders and Plymouth for the south.

For up in Maine, I'd go with Belfast, because it's on the coast, lot of fun indie shops, great places to eat and really well located to get to other fun areas like Camden, also close enough to the big "cities" like Waterville, Augusta and Bangor.

Freeport would also have to get a honourary mention, great little town for shopping, eating and drinks and also very close to Portland, which is a cool "big" city.

I love living in Concord but make sure you soon remember to bring your own water bottle when you visit as you wont be able to buy any in the shops!
Old Jun 1st 2012, 10:25 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bostonbound
I love living in Concord but make sure you soon remember to bring your own water bottle when you visit as you wont be able to buy any in the shops!
Oh really? That's weird

We hardly ever buy them anyway, seems like such a waste...but at least there's recycling bins out there, unlike my town which only has a few tiny bins attached to the street lamps that don't even have bags in them so you can't throw out lollipop sticks or they go right through, well annoying
Old Jun 2nd 2012, 12:05 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rpjs
We live in the Hudson Valley but it's still very expensive to buy and the property taxes are high. Ossining seems a bit cheaper, probably because of the prison, and some of the towns and villages north of Croton are cheaper too, but the rail commute into NYC is a lot lot longer.
Yeah, very true. But we'd be looking well north of Croton, more like Poughkeepsie's western burbs or Beacon area. We don't need a commuter-fast train connection, but we'd like it not to be ridiculously slow and not have to wait for connections that can be erratic (like the Shoreline East east of us here).

Grand Central to Beacon, NY, takes about the same time as GC to Milford, CT, about an hour 20 mins. Since the husband's working from home most days, that'll work. But we haven't finished with CT yet & haven't looked much into NY taxes. Property taxes can be killer here on the CT shore, even in the (few) towns where housing is pretty low-priced.
Old Jun 2nd 2012, 10:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Great thread - I've already got ideas for places I'd like to visit now.

I'm not sure how many cities there are in Maine, but I'm a huge fan of Portland and Cape Elizabeth which is right next door.
Old Jun 2nd 2012, 11:16 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kins
Great thread - I've already got ideas for places I'd like to visit now.

I'm not sure how many cities there are in Maine, but I'm a huge fan of Portland and Cape Elizabeth which is right next door.
Yeah, great list of places to check out if ever out in a new state, which is pretty cool.

As for Maine, there's 22 I think, but Portland is the largest with about 60K and then Bangor and Lewiston are the only other two that top 30K, the rest are lucky to have 10K

Never been to Cape Elizabeth, even though we've gone to Portland a fair bit in the past and drive through it quite a lot. Any particular fun spot to stop off in the evening? We normally stop off in Freeport to grab dinner if we're heading up to the folks, but if it's not that out of the way, might be fun to try some where new
Old Jun 2nd 2012, 11:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Never been to Cape Elizabeth, even though we've gone to Portland a fair bit in the past and drive through it quite a lot. Any particular fun spot to stop off in the evening? We normally stop off in Freeport to grab dinner if we're heading up to the folks, but if it's not that out of the way, might be fun to try some where new
If it's not too late and it's a nice day then the Lobster Shack is fun - it's very touristy and the food is nothing to write home about but the location is great, and it's overlooked by a lighthouse, and you can climb on the rocks and admire the waves.

There's also The Good Table for reasonable food, or Rudy's Diner if it hasn't been closed for refurb.

The main places to go in Cape are the beaches - Crescent Beach (classic golden sandy beach), Kettle Cove (sand plus lots of rocks to climb on). Near both of them is the Kettle Cove Ice Cream place http://www.kettlecoveicecream.com/

There's also Fort Williams Park which has Portland Head lighthouse and is a great place to visit - loads of crumbling old fort buildings from WWII, a playpark, and a lot of space to run around.
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 3:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

Out of the 3 I have to choose from I'd have to go with Anchorage, a city surrounded by mountains but sadly lacking a real night-time vibe unless you are into stripper clubs. Today we were lucky enough to witness the 'cleanup' crew shovelling a couple of drunks into the meat wagon so people could enjoy the downtown Saturday market.
Juneau is wet ... cut off from the road system and full of tourists and did i mention very wet ?
Fairbanks is menopausal, it varies between very hot and very very bloody cold.
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 9:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by WEBlue
Yeah, very true. But we'd be looking well north of Croton, more like Poughkeepsie's western burbs or Beacon area. We don't need a commuter-fast train connection, but we'd like it not to be ridiculously slow and not have to wait for connections that can be erratic (like the Shoreline East east of us here).

Grand Central to Beacon, NY, takes about the same time as GC to Milford, CT, about an hour 20 mins. Since the husband's working from home most days, that'll work. But we haven't finished with CT yet & haven't looked much into NY taxes. Property taxes can be killer here on the CT shore, even in the (few) towns where housing is pretty low-priced.
You should have a look around Cold Spring - pretty little town in a beautiful setting across from West Point and it even has a little shop run by a Welsh lady that sells a small selection of British groceries.
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 9:12 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jan Alaska
Out of the 3 I have to choose from I'd have to go with Anchorage, a city surrounded by mountains but sadly lacking a real night-time vibe unless you are into stripper clubs. Today we were lucky enough to witness the 'cleanup' crew shovelling a couple of drunks into the meat wagon so people could enjoy the downtown Saturday market.
Juneau is wet ... cut off from the road system and full of tourists and did i mention very wet ?
Fairbanks is menopausal, it varies between very hot and very very bloody cold.
Are the women going to stripper bars? There must be some places where women go. If not it would be a tremendous business opportunity. I look forward to visiting Alaska some day, probably not Fairbanks. Did you invent the menopause quip? Or is it common usage?
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 10:11 am
Banned

Cuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to behold

St Petersburg,Fl.
If I turn left and drive for 10 minutes I reach one of the best beaches in the United States; if I turn right and drive 10 minutes I hit downtown St Pete, a re-generated hidden gem with cracking bars and restaurants, a nice waterfront, great museums and interesting architecture.
Sorted.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.