Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Your favourite city in your state?

Your favourite city in your state?

Old Jun 1st 2012, 2:36 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your favourite city in your state?

It's not really a city, but for California, Yosemite has to be my favorite place. Otherwise I would have to say San Francisco, obvious I know, but it truly is a wonderful city.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 3:30 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

For proper cities, it would have to be Austin.

For little cities I'd have to go for Bandera Texas, the self proclaimed cowboy capital of the world. Great scenery, really friendly locals, good food and some good little rodeos, plus its close to my second favorite big city, San Antonio.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 6:59 am
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

I would have to say San Fran...the first time I flew over it I was just amazed at the city nestled in the mountains and how clear the air was - im no artist but there is something very special about the light in San Fran on the mountains- its sort of clear and sharp...(DH thinks im a bit nuts)

I love wandering around the different neighborhoods as well as the shopping in Union Sq...and my fav place to actually live would be anywhere in Marine County - maybe San Rafael or Larkspur (think thats how they are spelt!)

Other than that my fav place - and I NEVER thought I would say this is where I live in Eureka CA...I love the fact that it is totally surrounded by Redwoods (which made me claustrophobic at first) yet on the Ocean and I love Old Town which is very arty....

Arcata CA is also a fav place...hippieville at its best and Trinidad for the sheer beauty

I am in UK and have been for about 8 weeks and I cant believe it but im homesick for the US!!!!!! Blimey!!
Old Jun 1st 2012, 7:02 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Ashland down in southern Oregon. Sunnier ,warmer in spring-summer-fall, drier. Beautiful mountainous area. Wellknown Shakespeare festival every summer.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 7:07 am
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rpjs
Well I live in New York, so at the risk of sounding snobbishly metropolitan, its a bit of a no brainer: NYC, just for all the stuff it has.

However, we do live out in the 'burbs, and in fact the town we live in, Tarrytown, NY, is pretty amazing. We have a great Main Street with good shops, lots of excellent independent restaurants, and we have a live music venue in the shape of the Tarrytown Music hall (although admittedly the acts they book tend to be all aimed at the over-40s audiences). We live just a few minutes from the Metro-North station, and the rail service to Manhattan (35-50 mins) is so good that we still haven't got around to getting a car.

Having said that, we also really like Cold Spring, NY for its antique shops and eating places and its fantastic setting. If it wasn't so far out for commuting I'd consider moving up there as well.
I have special memories of Tarrytown as its where I met my now husband for the first time! We met for the first time in person as we were going to a wedding in Tarrytown and i just LOVED the place!!! It was halloween and I had never seen anything like all the houses decorated with cobwebs etc!!!! We walked past an area called Sleepy Hollow - reminded me of a Stephen King novel..it was a long old way to go for a first date- me from London and him from CA but happy endings....
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CAdreaming
I would have to say San Fran...the first time I flew over it I was just amazed at the city nestled in the mountains and how clear the air was - im no artist but there is something very special about the light in San Fran on the mountains- its sort of clear and sharp...(DH thinks im a bit nuts)

I love wandering around the different neighborhoods as well as the shopping in Union Sq...and my fav place to actually live would be anywhere in Marine County - maybe San Rafael or Larkspur (think thats how they are spelt!)

Other than that my fav place - and I NEVER thought I would say this is where I live in Eureka CA...I love the fact that it is totally surrounded by Redwoods (which made me claustrophobic at first) yet on the Ocean and I love Old Town which is very arty....

Arcata CA is also a fav place...hippieville at its best and Trinidad for the sheer beauty

I am in UK and have been for about 8 weeks and I cant believe it but im homesick for the US!!!!!! Blimey!!
When you tire of the cold summer fog head over the mountains to Lake Shasta or others in the area. 90F and above in the sunshine, comfortable swimming or skiing in the water.
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
Ashland down in southern Oregon. Sunnier ,warmer in spring-summer-fall, drier. Beautiful mountainous area. Wellknown Shakespeare festival every summer.
My step daughter has just been on a theatre weekend to Ashland and loves it - Its on my list to go to this year
Old Jun 1st 2012, 7:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
When you tire of the cold summer fog head over the mountains to Lake Shasta or others in the area. 90F and above in the sunshine, comfortable swimming or skiing in the water.
Thanks - its now on my "to go list"
Old Jun 1st 2012, 8:55 am
BE Enthusiast

SalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond repute

San Francisco, easily. Whilst I prefer living in Oakland, it just can't beat what the 'Sco has to offer. Whether it be the bar scene of the Lower Haight, the art scene of SOMA, the countercultural historical significance of Haight-Ashbury and North Beach, to the crazy hodge podge of all things in the Mission, including the hipster transplants who aren't all douchebags like others seem to believe, its actually become the one thing I feel I must be near if I was to stay living in the US on a permanent basis. Plus there's also a chippy in the TL that actually makes it right, or right enough, at least.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CAdreaming
I have special memories of Tarrytown as its where I met my now husband for the first time! We met for the first time in person as we were going to a wedding in Tarrytown and i just LOVED the place!!! It was halloween and I had never seen anything like all the houses decorated with cobwebs etc!!!! We walked past an area called Sleepy Hollow - reminded me of a Stephen King novel..it was a long old way to go for a first date- me from London and him from CA but happy endings....
Lovely story! Sleepy Hollow ("North Tarrytown" until about fifteen years ago) and Tarrytown proper is the setting for Washington Irving's story. I live a couple of blocks from the spot on Broadway where Ichabod Crane meets the Headless Horseman for the first time.

The original Sleepy Hollow is the area up by the Old Dutch Church and gave its name to the huge adjoining cemetery which is the New York metro area's answer to Highgate Cemetery.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 11:40 am
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm. . . the fact that the husband & I can't find one of these that pleases us both is part of our problem with this state. In our innocence over in the UK, we imagined a nice New England small-city/large-town with a pretty "green" surrounded by library, shops, cafes, etc.

We'd seen a few towns like this on visits, but now that we seriously investigate moving to one, we find the property prices are outrageous (despite the so-called housing 'slump') & taxes are terrible. The boring/ugly towns here are more affordable, but who wants them? We're looking at bordering states just because the nice, walkable, interesting towns in CT are too dear for us.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 12:36 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
...We're looking at bordering states just because the nice, walkable, interesting towns in CT are too dear for us.
Unfortunately, you'll find that the case in the neighbouring states too....for anywhere with decent commuting ability at least...
Old Jun 1st 2012, 1:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

I live in MA but for whatever reason seem to spend a lot of time in New Hampshire. My favorite towns there are Peterborough, Walpole and Keene. The first two are quaint villages - Peterborough has a nice pub and has a very artsy feel, Walpole has the Burdick chocolate shop which my wife likes (it's $$$ expensive) and is in the Connecticut valley which is stunning. Keene is the city where they filmed Jumanji back in the day and it has a nice town square. The best city in the state is probably Portsmouth which is a picturesque colonial seaport. Concord, the capital is nice but fairly quiet. It is worth a look in for a wander round the State Capital building.

Haven't seen too much of Vermont but I do like 'The People's Republic of Brattleboro which is the former home of Rudyard Kipling. Bennington across the molly stark trail is also nice.

In MA - the best that is near to me is probably Northampton because it has so much character. Concord is lovely. I also like the cities on the north shore - Newburyport, Salem, Marblehead and Gloucester.

Best town in my state though - I think it has to be Provincetown.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 1:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

redarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of light

Bethesda maryland, a vibrant fantastic little place,great restaurants,shops,and at night looks beautiful all lit up.

ocean city maryland.
its reminds me of a cross between scarboro uk and blackpool uk. dont know why, but fantastic seafood restaurants and long sandy beeches.

reehobath beech delaware, quaint little place and an english style chippy too

dont live in any so when im there its always a bonus
Old Jun 1st 2012, 1:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
We're looking at bordering states just because the nice, walkable, interesting towns in CT are too dear for us.
Where in CT are you - the NYC end ? There were some beautiful (and expensive looking) places down there when I last went down. Stamford was pretty bland looking though and Bridgeport looked like some post-apocalyptic nightmare.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.