Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Your favourite city in your state?

Your favourite city in your state?

Old May 31st 2012, 9:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

markwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud of
Default Re: Your favourite city in your state?

Originally Posted by rpjs View Post
Well I live in New York, so at the risk of sounding snobbishly metropolitan, its a bit of a no brainer: NYC, just for all the stuff it has.

However, we do live out in the 'burbs, and in fact the town we live in, Tarrytown, NY, is pretty amazing. We have a great Main Street with good shops, lots of excellent independent restaurants, and we have a live music venue in the shape of the Tarrytown Music hall (although admittedly the acts they book tend to be all aimed at the over-40s audiences). We live just a few minutes from the Metro-North station, and the rail service to Manhattan (35-50 mins) is so good that we still haven't got around to getting a car.

Having said that, we also really like Cold Spring, NY for its antique shops and eating places and its fantastic setting. If it wasn't so far out for commuting I'd consider moving up there as well.
I know some people who live near there and have eaten there a few times and, yes, you are right, it is a really great place.

Maybe Atlanta or Naples, Florida or Manhattan Beach. New York, of course or Phoenix. So many to choose from...

Last edited by markwm; May 31st 2012 at 9:21 pm.
Old May 31st 2012, 10:12 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Lexington, KY - we don't live there, but would move in a heartbeat if the opportunity came alone. It's progressive, multi-cultural, strict non-smoking laws, and pet friendly.

Ian
Old May 31st 2012, 10:52 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post
New York seems to easy, I feel confident that I could say New York for New York and I have only ever visited New York in New York. Come on Robin, what's the next best in New York after New York?
Indeed, it does make it a little more interesting if folks picked a city they like that isn't where they live, but if NYC is the best in the state...

I avoided Boston, because it's a tad twee and a obvious choice and my thinking, if someone checked this thread and was heading to a state listed, they'd have another option for a place to check out other than the most obvious.
Old May 31st 2012, 11:46 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101 View Post
My favorite city in Arizona is Sedona. Lovely and unique scenery, relaxing atmosphere, lots of good hiking and swimming there. Perfect for an overnight getaway.

I get the bonus for not living there, too!

Rene
Hell, it's worse than Snottsdale! Prescott is the only place to live in that part of the world.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 12:27 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit View Post
Hell, it's worse than Snottsdale! Prescott is the only place to live in that part of the world.
I don't find the scenery in Prescott as nice as Sedona. I like the red rocks and then the drive through Oak Creen Canyon.

If I really had to pick somewhere other then Sedona, I'd say somewhere between Payson and the White Mountain area.

Rene
Old Jun 1st 2012, 12:32 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post
New York seems to easy, I feel confident that I could say New York for New York and I have only ever visited New York in New York. Come on Robin, what's the next best in New York after New York?
Well, in the last thirty or so years I have visited most of New York's major cities and plenty of small towns, villages etc. Most are pretty mediocre and forgettable. People rave about Ithaca or Saratoga Springs, meh. Troy is interesting if, like me, you like places that have seen better days. Ditto for Rome and Utica. Plattsburgh and Ogdensburg and Watertown are plain depressing. Greece and Mexico and Peru all sound better in theory than in practice. Lockport is quaint but limited. Madrid and Stockholm are nothing. Lake Placid is a dump. No, New York New York is a great city and I love it. Brooklyn would come a close second. Ossining and Tarrytown are decent places, I'd love to live in either.. But only because they are handy for New York New York.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 12:47 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Indeed, it does make it a little more interesting if folks picked a city they like that isn't where they live, but if NYC is the best in the state...

I avoided Boston, because it's a tad twee and a obvious choice and my thinking, if someone checked this thread and was heading to a state listed, they'd have another option for a place to check out other than the most obvious.
Well, we are about 400 miles from NYC so we only go there once a year, we've managed a week in January for the last couple of years which is a good time to go. 400 miles doesn't sound far but it is hard to get there from here.. We have a flight then a train journey from Albany so it takes all day.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 12:48 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

I don't find the scenery in Prescott as nice as Sedona. I like the red rocks and then the drive through Oak Creen Canyon.
It was the natives rather than the scenery! Snobbery on borrowed money. The scenery is amazing, but it's full of gawping tourists. Easier to visit from Prescott!

If I really had to pick somewhere other then Sedona, I'd say somewhere between Payson and the White Mountain area.
Rene
F-I-L lives roundabouts there -- 30 miles down a dirt track and unincorporated. Beautiful scenery, but I couldn't live there as the locals would probably shoot me. The entrance to the town declares it to be a UN-Free Zone.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 12:55 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

It was the natives rather than the scenery!
LOL I only go up for the weather and the scenery...I ignore the natives and the touristy shops! I have to say, I had the best Indian food EVER at some Indian restaurant in a strip mall just down the road west of Sedona!

F-I-L lives roundabouts there -- 30 miles down a dirt track and unincorporated.
I've been skiing at the White Mountains a couple of times...stayed in Greer in both summer and winter, and loved it. Only for a weekend getaway, though...not to live. Way too rural for my daily living needs!

Rene
Old Jun 1st 2012, 12:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute

St Augustine FL
Old Jun 1st 2012, 1:02 am
Septicity

LOL I only go up for the weather and the scenery...I ignore the natives and the touristy shops! I have to say, I had the best Indian food EVER at some Indian restaurant in a strip mall just down the road west of Sedona!
Prescott has a Subaru dealer, Birkenstock retailer, and a Trader Joe's. Really all you need, so you can live there and there's no need to visit!
Old Jun 1st 2012, 2:01 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux View Post
Santa Barbara - has some character from the mission era and is on the coast.
And more to the point it has a proper British chippy.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 2:03 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Northampton. Beer and lesbians - a winning combination if there ever was one.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 2:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Macca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond repute

Prescott has a Subaru dealer, Birkenstock retailer, and a Trader Joe's. Really all you need, so you can live there and there's no need to visit!
Trader Joe's? You surprise me fatty. Is it true they waft Strauss' Bourgeois Gentilhomme over the PA?

Nothing like that at my local Aldi.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 2:28 am
Septicity

Originally Posted by Macca67 View Post
Trader Joe's? You surprise me fatty. Is it true they waft Strauss' Bourgeois Gentilhomme over the PA?

Nothing like that at my local Aldi.
Difficult to hear the music over the chattering classes. But our local one usually plays classic rock.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.