Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Your favourite city in your state?

Your favourite city in your state?

Old May 31st 2012, 6:46 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Your favourite city in your state?

If you had to pick a favourite city in your state, bonus if it is one you don't live in it, what would it be?

I'd think Concord, MA is my favourite just because it has a lovely down town, plenty of fun indie shops to walk around, great parks, lovely location.

Honourable mentions would have to be the neighbouring Acton and Lincoln, as they're very similar.

If heading a bit further out, I'd say Northampton, MA for similar reasons, just a lovely town, with a bunch of fun breweries near by and a great launch pad for other fun visits towards western Mass.

Andover and Newburyport as possible northern contenders and Plymouth for the south.

For up in Maine, I'd go with Belfast, because it's on the coast, lot of fun indie shops, great places to eat and really well located to get to other fun areas like Camden, also close enough to the big "cities" like Waterville, Augusta and Bangor.

Freeport would also have to get a honourary mention, great little town for shopping, eating and drinks and also very close to Portland, which is a cool "big" city.
Old May 31st 2012, 7:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Macca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your favourite city in your state?

Madison, WI. Great vibe about the place and until very recently had the fantastic Mr. Clyde Stubblefield and his Funky Monday sessions.

Green Bay's not bad either. The rest's a bit like Devon but with guns.

I don't live in either. What's my bonus?
Old May 31st 2012, 8:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Well I live in New York, so at the risk of sounding snobbishly metropolitan, its a bit of a no brainer: NYC, just for all the stuff it has.

However, we do live out in the 'burbs, and in fact the town we live in, Tarrytown, NY, is pretty amazing. We have a great Main Street with good shops, lots of excellent independent restaurants, and we have a live music venue in the shape of the Tarrytown Music hall (although admittedly the acts they book tend to be all aimed at the over-40s audiences). We live just a few minutes from the Metro-North station, and the rail service to Manhattan (35-50 mins) is so good that we still haven't got around to getting a car.

Having said that, we also really like Cold Spring, NY for its antique shops and eating places and its fantastic setting. If it wasn't so far out for commuting I'd consider moving up there as well.
Old May 31st 2012, 8:14 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Like Roy, I'm in the burbs and will be going to the Strawberry Festival in his city this Sunday with my granddaughter and daughter.

For me, however, it is also New York City, the 'boro of Manhattan, as my favorite city. It has everything you need to enjoy your free time such as theater, concerts, water excursions, historical places, botantial gardens, shopping, sports, a world class zoo not 20 minutes north of the city, river walks, street vendors, diversified restaurants, night clubs, pubs. You can sit in a park on a bench or on the grass (Central Park) or play chess in Washington Square Park. There's a famed broadwalk and beach only a subway ride away at Coney Island. For me, it has it all.
Old May 31st 2012, 8:16 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Washington only has one city worthy of the name, maybe Olympia (have not visited Spokane, but that's another Washington out that way anyway)

So it has to be Seattle, no competition.

Port Townsend gets my vote for town.
Old May 31st 2012, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Like Roy, I'm in the burbs and will be going to the Strawberry Festival in his city this Sunday with my granddaughter and daughter.
At Lyndhurst? We're thinking of going too. I'll wear my ATV logo t-shirt, so if you spot us, say hello!
Old May 31st 2012, 8:32 pm
Just Joined

donna1971 is an unknown quantity at this point

Seattle. It looks so pretty at night
Old May 31st 2012, 8:40 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Which reminds me, mustn't forget...there's one happening in Concord next month, which was a lot of fun last year and the weather was poo then, so hopefully be better with decent weather this year
Old May 31st 2012, 8:41 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Washington only has one city worthy of the name, maybe Olympia (have not visited Spokane, but that's another Washington out that way anyway)

So it has to be Seattle, no competition.

Port Townsend gets my vote for town.
Well this is the US, so "city" can be flexible, Belfast, ME with a 3K population is a city and all that
Old May 31st 2012, 8:47 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Oh God, in Illinois? Bloody hell

Libertyville, then. That's where I do the majority of my gigs and it also has a pub that so far has come the closest to one from back home for me. Close second is Crystal Lake, where my wife works, as it has the best music shop I have gone to here.

I don't live in either as well, so where's my bonus too? Do I get an extra bonus for not picking Chicago? You couldn't pay me enough to waste my time travelling down there
Old May 31st 2012, 8:50 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

I'll give a third vote for New York City. Dr. Johnson said of London, "When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford." Same can be said for New York.
Old May 31st 2012, 8:54 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
I'll give a third vote for New York City. Dr. Johnson said of London, "When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford." Same can be said for New York.
New York seems to easy, I feel confident that I could say New York for New York and I have only ever visited New York in New York. Come on Robin, what's the next best in New York after New York?
Old May 31st 2012, 9:02 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Which reminds me, mustn't forget...there's one happening in Concord next month, which was a lot of fun last year and the weather was poo then, so hopefully be better with decent weather this year
My favorite city in Arizona is Sedona. Lovely and unique scenery, relaxing atmosphere, lots of good hiking and swimming there. Perfect for an overnight getaway.

I get the bonus for not living there, too!

Rene
Old May 31st 2012, 9:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Santa Barbara - has some character from the mission era and is on the coast.
Old May 31st 2012, 9:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

helwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond repute

Lafayette, Louisiana.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.