Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Your favourite city in your state?

Your favourite city in your state?

Old Oct 28th 2012, 11:19 pm
Just Joined

US-Ammer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Your favourite city in your state?

In PA I am not too big of a fan of any cities in the state. I live in the Philadelphia area but I am not a fan of the city at all.
Old Oct 28th 2012, 11:43 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
So we spent the afternoon/night in Portland, ME, down in the old port, which is lovely.

Only really spent short stretch getting to places before and usually in and around the mall, so it was nice to just walk around, not in the snow and it was fun.

Had snacks at Duckfat, which is a great little restaurant/bar behind the Hampton Inn, around Fore St. Pretty cheap too and the food was great and superb selection of beers on tap. The chip were lovely too, cooked with duck fat...nom,nom,nom.

The chef had won Chopped and then the assistant person has also won a Chopped competition too, which is pretty cool.

Lot less hassle with parking when not going to see the Seadogs baseball or Pirates hockey.
Oh yeah, Sebago Beer have a restaurant attached to the Hampton Inn and it's really rather good, the beers were at least, well $5 for a 22oz winter ale.

Also had dinner at the $3 Deweys, which was an okay pub. The food and beer on tap at least, but the service was pretty dire....but so many fun places to check out, just had to pull the trigger and try some place.
Old Oct 29th 2012, 4:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

I havent really travelled around CA yet but last week went to Garberville which is quite a cool hippy place
Old Jan 4th 2013, 1:53 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

So any new fun towns discovered over the holidays?

How about any where in Pennsylvania, Ohio, West Virginia or Kentucky?
Old Jan 4th 2013, 2:21 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

Nowhere new this holiday (homebodies for a change) but I remember you were asking about a road trip earlier in the year....if you're still touting for ideas on that, we took someones recommendations (Duncan Roberts maybe?) for Pittsburgh a while back - Childrens museum and Science/Sports science museums were both were really very good, and well worth a visit with the kids (mine were 10/8/6 at the time - maybe a touch older than yours).
Old Jan 4th 2013, 3:19 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Nowhere new this holiday (homebodies for a change) but I remember you were asking about a road trip earlier in the year....if you're still touting for ideas on that, we took someones recommendations (Duncan Roberts maybe?) for Pittsburgh a while back - Childrens museum and Science/Sports science museums were both were really very good, and well worth a visit with the kids (mine were 10/8/6 at the time - maybe a touch older than yours).
Yeah, that was why I revived this thread, the quick route would be northern PA straight over to Indiana, but as nipping down and across WV and KT only adds a couple hundred miles of a detour, was thinking about them because that's nothing on a 1.1K 20 hour drive.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 4:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

Lancaster PA has an interesting and historical downtown with some nice restaurants, bars, etc. Saw some Amish in town but didn't have much time to explore further. I was there for the weekend a couple of months back attending my son's soccer tournament.

Harpers Ferry in West Virginia is interesting and worth a visit. Not too far away from me.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Jan 4th 2013 at 4:26 pm.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 4:36 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Well, since you ask...

As most folks here know, Sheila and I live in Kentucky and work in West Virginia. My stepdaughter and her family live in Columbus, OH. We discovered a nice little town not too far from there... Canal Winchester. There were some lovely shops in the downtown core and some nice restaurants, and just outside the town were a number of large shopping malls and plazas.

As an aside, Sheila and I are taking an Alaskan cruise at the end of May for our 15th anniversary! Neither of us have been to Seattle, which is where the ship leaves and returns, so we're both looking forward to seeing part of the PNW.

Ian
Old Jan 4th 2013, 4:54 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a second vote for "Austin, but San Antonio is close behind." And Houston, where I live, is a close third; I would love to live somewhere else but I quite like it here too. Honestly my favorite place is not in the state or even the country.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 8:01 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Speedwell
Here's a second vote for "Austin, but San Antonio is close behind."
I agree with you 100%. Austin, followed by San Antonio! Both super places!

Ian
Old Jan 5th 2013, 12:48 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Well, since you ask...

As most folks here know, Sheila and I live in Kentucky and work in West Virginia.
I was hoping you might chirp in there

And congrats on the up coming anniversary!

I don't have a clue how much time we might be able to spend out in that neck of the woods, well Indiana, but hoping to try a different route back and hitting your states only really adds a couple of hundred miles extra and that's nothing so might as well make something of being in a completely different part of the country, even if we don't have much time to explore, be nice to drive through nice towns and have a place to have a gander and lunch
Old Jan 7th 2013, 4:53 pm
Just Joined

Mummified su is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=Bob;10093410]If you had to pick a favourite city in your state, bonus if it is one you don't live in it, what would it be?

I'd think Concord, MA is my favourite just because it has a lovely down town, plenty of fun indie shops to walk around, great parks, lovely location.

Honourable mentions would have to be the neighbouring Acton and Lincoln, as they're very similar.

We were buying a house in Acton when my husband lost his job and we had to pull out. I love the country feel compared to Winchester where we are at he moment. Anyway off to Michigan now !!!!!
Old Jan 7th 2013, 5:16 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Mummified su

We were buying a house in Acton when my husband lost his job and we had to pull out. I love the country feel compared to Winchester where we are at he moment. Anyway off to Michigan now !!!!!
Oh no, sorry to hear that!

Good luck with the move to Michigan and welcome to BE
Old Jan 8th 2013, 2:18 pm
cxx
BE Enthusiast

cxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond repute

Currently not living in the US but lived in MI for a while and liked Ann Arbor, plus Detroit has some amazing architecture from the boom years.
Liked Columbus OH, and Lexington KY has some beautiful drives through the horse country areas (plus there's a few distilleries in that area too!).
Old Oct 13th 2013, 5:19 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

So it's been a while since any other suggestions have come along, but new posters and all that.

During the summer, we rather liked Saratoga Springs, NY Just a lovely little town with a great park in the centre and a lot of fun stuff to browse and walk about in the down town.

Ann Arbor, MI was really cute, but quite spread out once you cleared the down town but was lovely and not manky like a lot of student towns.

Gettysburg, PA was lovely and green.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.