Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Your Favorite Christmas Recipe

Your Favorite Christmas Recipe

Old Dec 4th 2004, 6:41 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your Favorite Christmas Recipe

Post in the USA lifestyle forum might get more help
And there's a couple threads about x-mas cake and crackers there already
Old Dec 4th 2004, 9:09 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Post in the USA lifestyle forum might get more help
And there's a couple threads about x-mas cake and crackers there already

You're a moderator, Bob ;-) But I did it for you .... Bah Humbug
Old Dec 4th 2004, 9:53 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
You're a moderator, Bob ;-) But I did it for you .... Bah Humbug
Hehe...aye, but I don't have visa mod powers, so couldn't move it
Old Dec 4th 2004, 11:16 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UKintheUSA
I have been reading your posts about "Proper" Christmas Cakes etc. and was thinking it might be nice if we could share our favorite Christmas Recipes with each other.
I've heard that "ex-husband on a skewer" makes a lovely treat on which to nibble!

Ian
Old Dec 5th 2004, 2:40 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Your Favorite Christmas Recipe

I have been reading your posts about "Proper" Christmas Cakes etc. and was thinking it might be nice if we could share our favorite Christmas Recipes with each other. Since I am from the USA I have never heard of a lot of the things all of you and my husband refer to. I aksed him last night what exactly was a "Proper" Christmas Cake and he described it to me. I couldn't help but notice the sad look in his eyes and it just breaks my heart that we can't be with his family for Christmas this year. We are broke as hell and we can't buy presents for each other this year, so I thought maybe you can post some recipes here and I can make him something special? It would be so nice to see what other cultures from all over the world make for Christmas. Who knows, we all may learn a new tradition? So I really need a few Welsh recipes if anyone can help me out here, and anything else that you want to share. I'll post my Favorite Fruitcake Recipe later...............and it isn't the kind that can be used as a doorstop! Lots of Rum in it!
Thanks.
Deb
It's a lovely idea for you to have a go at making a Christmas cake - but you will need to start it real soon as the cake improves with age as you need to top it up with rum or brandy!

I suggest that you take a look at "The Great British Kitchen" website.

You will find the recipe for making Christmas cake (and Christmas trifle - although personally I would use fresh fruit such as bananas and strawberries instead of canned fruit cocktail in the recipe - but as it's such a busy time for most people on Christmas Eve that perhaps the canned fruit cocktail was included as a short cut) on the 'festive food' section of this superb website....and if you scout around on the other sections you are sure to come across some other recipes popular in Wales (yes they do have 'Welsh rarebit' in the 'snacks and suppers' section:

http://www.greatbritishkitchen.co.uk/mainmenu.htm

Enjoy!

For recipes which hail from various counties in England, Scotland and Wales, see here:

http://www.greatbritishkitchen.co.uk...onal_intro.htm

Last edited by Englishmum; Dec 5th 2004 at 2:46 am.
Old Dec 5th 2004, 2:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

This is a recipe for Christmas snackies my MIL gave me (in one of her more sane moments)

20oz Oyster crackers (soup cracker thingies)
1 pkg dry ranch dressing
1 tablespoon lemon pepper
1 teaspoon dill weed
½ teaspoon garlic powder
1½ cups salad oil
10oz mixed nuts

mix crackers and all dry ingredients including nuts, add oil and mix thorougly (i usually use a large ziplock bag for this) keep gently shaking / mixing for a couple of hours and hey presto! tangy Christmas snackies !!!

Jan
Old Dec 6th 2004, 12:19 am
Lloyd Olson

http://www.recipezaar.com/r/266/259 Welsh Christmas recipes here. While you
are busy baking and cooking, remember money can't buy the best presents. LTG
    :)

"UKintheUSA" <member30258@british_expats.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected] m...
    > I have been reading your posts about "Proper" Christmas Cakes etc. and
    > was thinking it might be nice if we could share our favorite Christmas
    > Recipes with each other. Since I am from the USA I have never heard of
    > a lot of the things all of you and my husband refer to. I aksed him
    > last night what exactly was a "Proper" Christmas Cake and he described
    > it to me. I couldn't help but notice the sad look in his eyes and it
    > just breaks my heart that we can't be with his family for Christmas this
    > year. We are broke as hell and we can't buy presents for each other
    > this year, so I thought maybe you can post some recipes here and I can
    > make him something special? It would be so nice to see what other
    > cultures from all over the world make for Christmas. Who knows, we all
    > may learn a new tradition? So I really need a few Welsh recipes if
    > anyone can help me out here, and anything else that you want to share.
    > I'll post my Favorite Fruitcake Recipe later...............and it isn't
    > the kind that can be used as a doorstop! Lots of Rum in it!
    > Thanks.
    > Deb
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Dec 6th 2004, 2:48 am
looking for the corkscrew

bored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond repute

Red cabbage!!! If done properly it's bloody gorgeous and I have never known my Welsh family have Xmas lunch without it.
Old Dec 6th 2004, 8:38 pm
looking for the corkscrew

bored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond repute

I do the same - onion and apple and cook it in a shallow bit of water with vinegar and a bit of olive oil. I can't give you recipe as I kind of make it up as I go along. It is nice with cranberries in too. Sounds like we do the same tho.
Old Dec 6th 2004, 8:44 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

How do you make yours? My family is Russian-Slovak and we have always done it with Onions or Red Apples or both! I would love a new recipe for Red Cabbage. Garry loves mine whether I make it sweet or sour so maybe I have a similar recipe to yours! Care to share yours?
On my spouse's side, there's Russian, Czech and Polish. I think borscht makes an appearance at Christmastime.

I make a mean borscht (can't stand the stuff in glass bottles. Too sweet!).
Old Dec 6th 2004, 8:56 pm
Franklin

Originally Posted by Man from U.N.C.L.E.
Proper Christmas recipe?
A pretty woman standing under mistletoe!