Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Your "Clocks back" stories

Your "Clocks back" stories

Old Oct 29th 2007, 8:39 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute
Default Your "Clocks back" stories

OK, we all know UK clocks went back this weekend so we are on differences for a week until the USA goes back.

But given the y2k debacle in the IT industry, and the fact I'm in the industry, it pxsses me off, we can't fix the problem with technology and BST..

My car reset itself back an hour this weekend. Apparently, I have to live with it for a week (as I did in March/April) but that's not the point. The car has GPS and the exact time and location BUT no... that's too friggen difficult.

Also, my Brinx alarm system, which is connected to a telephone line is back an hour to. Again, no big deal but when we talk about sending people to the moon or mars, and yet can't get a simple device to know what the friggen time is, you have to wonder

Reminds me know of the spacecraft that crashed.. (on mars?).. becuase the programmed it in Europe for Kilometers per hour whereas the US flew it as Miles per hour....

sigh.... I'm getting me manual tin openner to open my tin of heinz's..
Old Oct 29th 2007, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

YankeeDaz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Your "Clocks back" stories

LOL. That'll be the Mars Climate Orbiter. Different teams where using different measurements for their systems. Systems critical to placing the probe in orbit. One team used British imperial measurements, ie inches,feet and another used metric/european measurements, ie millimetres and centimentres etc.

The UK is severly messed up. We're constantly dictated to by Europe even to the point of small market stalls not being able to sell things via pound weight any more. A huge argument started when market traders were told to sell in grams and kilograms or face a fine!

The US has had it easy for quite a while, but now with the likes of more european imports your once untouchable imperial measurements are now being polluted with the european metrics.

BST is another one of those things where people cant agree, but when all time starts from GMT/UTC, ie Greenwich in London, England I guess you have little say!
Old Oct 30th 2007, 12:03 am
In yonder hills

britex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond repute

Damn, that reminds me... I forgot to change the time on the car clock!

I hate clocks back in the UK! Rotten system! Long live BST! ...
Old Oct 30th 2007, 12:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britex01

NO way! If we stuck to BST all the year round in the UK, it would not get light here in Edinburgh until about 09:30 am in December/January. I'd rather come home from work in the dark than go to work in the dark each morning...it would be like getting up in the middle of the night.
Old Oct 30th 2007, 1:33 am
In yonder hills

britex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
NO way! If we stuck to BST all the year round in the UK, it would not get light here in Edinburgh until about 09:30 am in December/January. I'd rather come home from work in the dark than go to work in the dark each morning...it would be like getting up in the middle of the night.
Oh sorry, Scotty... That was mean of me...
Old Oct 30th 2007, 1:59 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

My T.Mobile Blackberry decided to go back an hour weird
Old Oct 30th 2007, 10:33 am
Home Owner

Driver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Poppy girl

thanks for the reminder, must check mine
Old Oct 30th 2007, 1:53 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe because you don't have the patch installed for this years time change madness.
Old Oct 30th 2007, 2:11 pm
Account Closed

kingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura about
Smile Re: Your "Clocks back" stories

Originally Posted by britex01
Damn, that reminds me... I forgot to change the time on the car clock!

I think they are talking about keeping the same time all year round here in Florida. I hope they decide eventually to do away with Daylight saving time, I hate the ritual of going around the house putting clocks back then a few months later putting them forward again. Seems a waste of time to me. In the UK their may be a reason for it, but not here.
Old Oct 30th 2007, 2:18 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rincewind
Maybe because you don't have the patch installed for this years time change madness.
Patch!!
Old Oct 30th 2007, 2:24 pm
lj2
BE Enthusiast

lj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of light

I was talking to my US resident USC gf on the phone on Sat night/Sun Morning when the clock went back - I told her I'd be goign to sleep at 3 when it was 2.50, I looked up and it was 2.10... I was confused til I remembered about the clocks going back!

She told me I was a silly sausage for forgetting and then put hers back because of course she never forgot.....

Her boss called her the next morning 10 minutes after her start time and she was still in bed thinking she had 50 minutes before work! Now who is the sausage
Old Oct 30th 2007, 2:44 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Patch!!
Our company installed a patch for all our Blackberry users to deal with the time change.
Old Oct 30th 2007, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by rincewind
Our company installed a patch for all our Blackberry users to deal with the time change.
Interesting but still found it strange that it changed as it was set for pacific time zone.
Old Oct 30th 2007, 3:01 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute

Yes but the dumb-asses in IT somewhere programmed the device so that the last Sunday in October would see the time set back, thinking everyone on PCT would do the same. The change to the first SUnday in November passed in congress didn't make it to the hard-coded-programmed-device. Makes me laugh, because it's conencted to a network and shouldn't need a "patch" if it was programmed correctly (BTW - I'm in IT - LOL)

Interesting but still found it strange that it changed as it was set for pacific time zone.
Old Oct 30th 2007, 4:06 pm
You Are All Diseased

Yes, but the time change dates were altered for this year. If you haven't updated your device, it would change as it normally would (one week earlier).

This is the patch you should have installed at the beginning of the year:

Blackberry Daylight Saving Time 2007

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.