British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Your Christmas Eve Meal? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/your-christmas-eve-meal-344278/)

NC Penguin Dec 24th 2005 1:02 am

Your Christmas Eve Meal?

Are you having/do you have a special Christmas Eve meal?

Thanks to the European side of my spouse's family (I have nothing to do with this), my MIL is preparing a "white" meal for Christmas Eve. It's traditional Polish (or is it Catholic. I'm not sure).

There'll be: perch (a white fish), sauerkraut (white cabbage), pierogi, rolls and potato salad. I love all this kind of stuff.

NC Penguin

USBound Dec 24th 2005 1:41 am

Re: Your Christmas Eve Meal?

we're having pizza

Big D Dec 24th 2005 1:44 am

Originally Posted by USBound
we're having pizza

typical programmer geeks - if you were in the UK it would be curry ordered in at hours!

Oh bollox - what i wouldnt do for a decent curry on Christmas eve!

redlobster Dec 24th 2005 1:53 am

Us to, if we were in the UK now we would have a curry tomorrow.We have found a good Indian in downtown Tampa which is the best so far.We have tried five altogether,and I did a google and we have three more to find. So the search goes on.

I suppose we will have a chinese instead.,,HoHum !
Redlobster

Big D Dec 24th 2005 1:55 am

Originally Posted by redlobster
Us to, if we were in the UK now we would have a curry tomorrow.We have found a good Indian in downtown Tampa which is the best so far.We have tried five altogether,and I did a google and we have three more to find. So the search goes on.

I suppose we will have a chinese instead.,,HoHum !
Redlobster

even the chinese here is shite - need to go somewhere with a decent chinatown!!! Ah well - always the ham and turkey to look forward to!

AmerLisa Dec 24th 2005 1:59 am

Originally Posted by NC Penguin

Thanks to the European side of my spouse's family (I have nothing to do with this), my MIL is preparing a "white" meal for Christmas Eve. It's traditional Polish (or is it Catholic. I'm not sure).

There'll be: perch (a white fish), sauerkraut (white cabbage), pierogi, rolls and potato salad. I love all this kind of stuff.

NC Penguin

Your MIL's potato salad is white?

Anyway, we might get chinese.....I just know I'm not cooking!

tony126 Dec 24th 2005 2:06 am

Shrimp Newburg I am informed by my good wife.

franc11s Dec 24th 2005 2:42 am

We ALWAYS eat the same... That is, EVERYTHING... All the Christmas goodies come out around 7 ish... Quality Street, After Eights, Nuts, dates, Liq allsorts, proper biscuits, tangerines, more chocolate, Choco Orange, ... Basically, everything and we eat until we feel sick.......

No "formal tea" that night... Go to bed wanting to puke but EVERYONE is up for the British Breakfast on Crimbo morning... This year.. English bacon (from our www.britishbacon.com friends). Hearty bangers (same store), Mushrooms, heinz beanz, Tin Toms, Best quality (for here) white bread for toast. and a cup of PG tips....

Then pig out on the same stuff from the night before...

Then the turkey and.... sorry... I am going on a bit....

CaliforniaBride Dec 24th 2005 3:09 am

Originally Posted by Big D

I'd sell the kids! Hubby wants tamales, rice and refried beans. Think I'm going to order pizza!

CaliforniaBride Dec 24th 2005 3:12 am

Originally Posted by franc11s
We ALWAYS eat the same... That is, EVERYTHING... All the Christmas goodies come out around 7 ish... Quality Street, After Eights, Nuts, dates, Liq allsorts, proper biscuits, tangerines, more chocolate, Choco Orange, ... Basically, everything and we eat until we feel sick.......

No "formal tea" that night... Go to bed wanting to puke but EVERYONE is up for the British Breakfast on Crimbo morning... This year.. English bacon (from our www.britishbacon.com friends). Hearty bangers (same store), Mushrooms, heinz beanz, Tin Toms, Best quality (for here) white bread for toast. and a cup of PG tips....

Then pig out on the same stuff from the night before...

Then the turkey and.... sorry... I am going on a bit....

Not at all! That was great. Went to Cost Plus today and bought English choccies for all the kids in the extended family. I'm going to go back tomorrow and stock up for us! Thanks for the prompt. And hubby has now agreed to a full English brekky xmas morning. Non of that cake rubbish (Panettone).

Pulaski Dec 24th 2005 3:21 am

Steak, probably a ribeye, cooked (well just barely) .... rare! :D

CaliforniaBride Dec 24th 2005 3:23 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Steak, probably a ribeye, cooked (well just barely) .... rare! :D

Or like my dad always says 'just walk it through a warm room'.

krizzy Dec 24th 2005 4:52 am

Originally Posted by NC Penguin

NC Penguin

We always have a pizza delivered.......we've done it for years.........

Sue Dec 24th 2005 12:35 pm

Roast beef, yorkshire puds, roast pots etc etc. Then if any room let in our bulging tummys will attack the mountain of goodies my lovely parents in law brought with them from the UK.

By the way....Merry Christmas to one and all

TruBrit Dec 24th 2005 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by Big D
typical programmer geeks - if you were in the UK it would be curry ordered in at hours!

Oh yes please a real 'good' curry then down the pub that would be our Christmas eve...enjoy...lol maybe settle for pizza if you can't beat 'em join 'em :)