British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   is your accent something that gets commented on alot (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/your-accent-something-gets-commented-alot-597582/)

chartreuse Mar 18th 2009 2:33 pm

Re: is your accent something that gets commented on alot
 

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 7392002)
Freedom of speech does not give anyone the right to be offensive.

Actually, it does, that's kind of the point. Of course it also comes with the right to face the consequences.*

* Consequences can include loss of career opportunities, social ostracism and being punched in the mouth.

sime303 Mar 18th 2009 3:01 pm

Re: is your accent something that gets commented on alot
 
Not that I live in a small town but when I just called the Town office to find out how much excise tax I would have to pay on my new car they knew who I was before I gave my name.

chartreuse Mar 18th 2009 3:29 pm

Re: is your accent something that gets commented on alot
 

Originally Posted by sime303 (Post 7393404)
Not that I live in a small town but when I just called the Town office to find out how much excise tax I would have to pay on my new car they knew who I was before I gave my name.

I get the same at the bank. Also, I had to warn SWMBO that, even though 5p coins work as dimes in newspaper vending machines, it's probably not a good idea to do that round our way...:rofl:

Xebedee Mar 18th 2009 3:43 pm

Re: is your accent something that gets commented on alot
 

Originally Posted by Floridared (Post 7393218)
I had been here for about a year, when two very nice old ladies wanted to see around the dance hall we have. After the usual questions, about where I come from, and finding out I'm English, one asked how lond I'd been in the States. I said about a year, and she replied "What's it like to live in a Free Country" :eek:

Oh Budda.

Lothianlad Mar 18th 2009 4:17 pm

Re: is your accent something that gets commented on alot
 

Originally Posted by Floridared (Post 7393218)
.... one asked how long I'd been in the States. I said about a year, and she replied "What's it like to live in a Free Country" :eek:


I'd have thought the answer to that one would be very simple....as the American lady in question had no idea what it's like to live in a Free Country and wanted you to tell her I'd have said something on the lines of:

"Well, move to England, luv, and find out for yourself....." Easy peasy.

mistahsinclair Mar 18th 2009 5:47 pm

Re: is your accent something that gets commented on alot
 
I was born in Edinburgh...raised pretty close to there...went to university in Glasgow...lived in London for 3 years...ultimately moved to the US when I was ~25.

People (read ladies) generally like my accent, but I have had the same basic comment made on three different occassions. The conversation is roughly:

Question: "Where are you from?"

Answer: "Scotland"

Question: "How long have been in the US?"

Answer: "<some timeframe>"

Comment: "Wow, you speak very good English"

How do you reply to that??? Other than saying "thanks!"


On other notes...

Nobody has ever picked out that I'm Scottish. I've been pegged for Australian, South African, Kiwi, and EVEN English! :devil_smile:

I drive an F150 and have a goatee...maybe helps me blend in!

I have problems every time I order water or tomato.

Never heard the word 'chinky' used in London. Heard it everywhere in Scotland though.

idk4 Mar 18th 2009 9:19 pm

Re: is your accent something that gets commented on alot
 

Originally Posted by clarissageo (Post 7393004)
I've been here about 4 months now, and when I first got here the endless stream of blank looks in Walmart (which was pretty much my limit of speaking to Americans) drove me to the point where I hated opening my mouth, and felt like my accent was a real hindrance....

However....

I started work about 5 weeks ago at a hotel that has just opened (2 days ago in fact) and up until our opening day it was very much an 'all hands on deck' situation with the whole team helping out the construction workers / housekeepers / cleaners etc.... it was then that I actually realised that my accent was a huge bonus, and a fantastic Icebreaker - the whole 'where are you from' was still there, but the comments were:
'I love your accent' (usually the girls).....
'damn thats a sexy accent'........ 'How about you follow me around all day and just talk to me'........ from the construction workers
oh, and the classic, which I struggled to control my bladder and my laughter at was 'Do you know what a xenophile is?..... its someone who is addicted to foreigners..... I realised last night that I am one, because I find your accent intoxicating.... honestly ma'am..... when you speak to me I feel drunk.... and please, don't get me on the subject of your beauty...' :rofl:
I guess he thought he was being smooth!!

Since the hotel opened, I've worked two check ins, and about 50% of guests have commented on my accent. Its been a great Icebreaker, and has really got them talking - my manager has even had me playing problem solver when things have gone wrong (as they have, teething problems in a new building of course)...... apparently the theory is because I'm little, and I have this soft, british voice, it catches people on the back foot so they are less likely to shout!...... They've also said that my voice is more calming than some of the harsher accents that we have working with us!

Although I've changed some of the words I use (bin / garbage, trolley / cart, Dinner / Tea etc) to make life easier, I've now started to realise the benefits of having this 'sexy accent'!


THANKS FOR The reply. where in uk you from?? and have you ever had any negative comments, not about your accent but like being english n stuff.?

meauxna Mar 18th 2009 9:21 pm

Re: is your accent something that gets commented on alot
 
idk4, where have you traveled to before? That might lend some context to your questions.

Bluegrass Lass Mar 18th 2009 10:29 pm

Re: is your accent something that gets commented on alot
 

Originally Posted by mistahsinclair (Post 7394066)
I was born in Edinburgh...raised pretty close to there...went to university in Glasgow...lived in London for 3 years...ultimately moved to the US when I was ~25.

People (read ladies) generally like my accent, but I have had the same basic comment made on three different occassions. The conversation is roughly:

Question: "Where are you from?"

Answer: "Scotland"

Question: "How long have been in the US?"

Answer: "<some timeframe>"

Comment: "Wow, you speak very good English"

How do you reply to that??? Other than saying "thanks!"


On other notes...

Nobody has ever picked out that I'm Scottish. I've been pegged for Australian, South African, Kiwi, and EVEN English! :devil_smile:

I drive an F150 and have a goatee...maybe helps me blend in!

I have problems every time I order water or tomato.

Never heard the word 'chinky' used in London. Heard it everywhere in Scotland though.

My OH is Scottish by blood, but South African by birth. It confuses the hell out of everyone! Add in the influence of a Southern accent and none will be able to tell where he's from. :rofl:

I've been to Edinburgh a few times, and that accent sounds quite a bit like an English one to my ears - it's a very soft Scots accent - very easy to confuse with an English one. Now Glasgow, OTH, where my in-laws are from, has a very strong accent and noone mistakes their accent when they come visit! :lol:

mistahsinclair Mar 18th 2009 10:36 pm

Re: is your accent something that gets commented on alot
 

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13 (Post 7395220)
My OH is Scottish by blood, but South African by birth. It confuses the hell out of everyone! Add in the influence of a Southern accent and none will be able to tell where he's from. :rofl:

I've been to Edinburgh a few times, and that accent sounds quite a bit like an English one to my ears - it's a very soft Scots accent - very easy to confuse with an English one. Now Glasgow, OTH, where my in-laws are from, has a very strong accent and noone mistakes their accent when they come visit! :lol:

Yeah, to be honest I've never had a strong accent - but having lived in quite a few places I don't have trouble understanding almost everyone.

The part of Louisiana I'm in also has a pretty mild accent, so I shouldn't pick anything to bad up to mix things even further!

Lothianlad Mar 18th 2009 11:35 pm

Re: is your accent something that gets commented on alot
 

Originally Posted by DangerousKitchen (Post 7390872)
In America it's considered beautiful on a woman and very wimpy on a guy.

Och...what a load of gob$hite that is. Americans really are more screwed up than I ever imagined.... so many of them seem to be real dafties, and with an American President now in place who hates the very guts of us Brits I think I will completely abandon any plans or even desire to go to America one day.

Anyway, what do they mean by "British" accent anyway? We've got f****g hundreds of them.

meauxna Mar 18th 2009 11:45 pm

Re: is your accent something that gets commented on alot
 
Hook, Line & Sinker, guys. Please notice that that poster is no longer with us.

Elvira Mar 19th 2009 12:45 am

Re: is your accent something that gets commented on alot
 

Originally Posted by Lothianlad (Post 7395472)
Och...what a load of gob$hite that is. Americans really are more screwed up than I ever imagined.... so many of them seem to be real dafties, and with an American President now in place who hates the very guts of us Brits I think I will completely abandon any plans or even desire to go to America one day.

Anyway, what do they mean by "British" accent anyway? We've got f****g hundreds of them.

:ohmy: :confused: :blink:

Umpatan Mar 19th 2009 1:35 pm

Re: is your accent something that gets commented on alot
 

Originally Posted by Lothianlad (Post 7395472)
Och...what a load of gob$hite that is. Americans really are more screwed up than I ever imagined.... so many of them seem to be real dafties, and with an American President now in place who hates the very guts of us Brits I think I will completely abandon any plans or even desire to go to America one day.

Anyway, what do they mean by "British" accent anyway? We've got f****g hundreds of them.

Maybe you ought to tell them that THEY got an AMERICAN accent. I know we have hundreds of different variations in the UK, but to play their egos on this, it would be good to remind them whose language are they speaking.
They need to be reminded that English comes from England!
I speak with a Canadian accent because I came to Vancouver when I was five. And when I return, I am commented on having an American accent, and I do say it is a Canadian accent, and that is the way it is, because it is I who has the accent being raised abroad. I think if you like North America but want to live where they don't hate the British, you should try Canada where they are mostly descendants of loyalists. (Of course, French Quebec is a different story)

Floridared Mar 19th 2009 1:56 pm

Re: is your accent something that gets commented on alot
 
When I answer the phone at my restaurant, I say this is Paul speaking, and quite often it goes quiet for a second, then they'll reply Pooal? One guy even called me Ball! I was tempted to ask "left or right" :confused:


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:49 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.