British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   is your accent something that gets commented on alot (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/your-accent-something-gets-commented-alot-597582/)

DangerousKitchen Mar 17th 2009 10:40 pm

Re: is your accent something that gets commented on alot

Originally Posted by willmore (Post 7390826)
au contraire;) I love men with english accents, in fact I stalk this guy every time I see him at timmies because of his beautiful sexy accent. I try to get a table beside him just to listen to him speak - he's not a looker by any means, but the accent is SO SEXY.....!:wub:

Just a canadian opinion........;)

In America it's considered beautiful on a woman and very wimpy on a guy.

idk4 Mar 17th 2009 10:52 pm

i wonder how 'feminime' a chavvy manc accent or a scouse accents sound. not all brits sound like emma thompson!
and only that posh accent can be seen as wimpy because so many other british accents sound rough as hell!

Norri Mar 17th 2009 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by DangerousKitchen (Post 7390818)
I married my wife because of her accent. A british accent on a woman is incredibly attractive to American males...It's very feminine. Inversely a british accent sounds incredibly gay when a male has it. It's like really red hair. It's great on women and terrible on men.

So many shallow and sterotyped comments in one post, perhaps a record? :ohmy:

NC Penguin Mar 17th 2009 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by Anna Clare (Post 7390405)
The young woman who asked me (I am a Londoner) if I was German was from deepest rural Northern Cali. Hey we're all European!

On that note, before I moved here I thought Asia, Africa and Europe were large diverse multi-national continents, not generic terms liberally utilised by my new countrymen.

As a Brit we don't often see ourselves as European! :rofl: Until now.

And have you noticed how "Asian" means Japanese, Chinese, Korean maybe . . . . never Indian, Pakistani or Bangladeshi?

As a corollary, in London we often ordered a "Chinky" from the "Chinky" - a Chinese takeaway from the Chinese takeaway. My husband nearly add a coronary in Sab Francisco Chinatown in a bakery when I used the word chinky as it is apparently pretty racist! Just shows there's two sides to every story . . .

Actually, "chinky" is racist in the UK too. Have you ever said that in front of a Chinese person? I wouldn't if I were you.

meauxna Mar 17th 2009 10:55 pm

I married my wife because of her accent. A british accent on a woman is incredibly attractive to American males...It's very feminine. Inversely a british accent sounds incredibly gay when a male has it. It's like really red hair. It's great on women and terrible on men.

Missed us already RTD? :lol:

Elvira Mar 17th 2009 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by jumping doris (Post 7390463)
Sometimes I get a lot of comments and then none for ages..........

You Emma Thompson.......... me Helen Mirren ;)

I can empathise with the rubber thing too.............. at Office Max, many years ago. Could not understand why the chap looked shocked... :rofl:

Good luck with the doggy campaign!!! :)

Elvira Mar 17th 2009 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by NC Penguin (Post 7390913)
Actually, "chinky" is racist in the UK too. Have you ever said that in front of a Chinese person? I wouldn't if I were you.

Indeed!!! (almost as bad as referring to 'our Paki friend'... :eek:)

Anna Clare Mar 18th 2009 12:56 am

My post was pretty clear that "a chinky" is the usual term for Londoners for a Chinese takeout; a term deployed to and with Chinese people.

Needless to say these usages are always debatable as to racism or no. I am an immigrant now of course so I feel I know what it is like!

Anna Clare Mar 18th 2009 12:58 am

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 7391106)
Indeed!!! (almost as bad as referring to 'our Paki friend'... :eek:)

I do not agree, though like the USA, I defend freedom of speech and your right to say what you believe.

A chinky remains the term of choice for Londoners for a Chinese takeaway.

meauxna Mar 18th 2009 1:19 am

Originally Posted by Anna Clare (Post 7391338)
I do not agree, though like the USA, I defend freedom of speech and your right to say what you believe.

Whether the Chinese people like it or not!

Kaffy Mintcake Mar 18th 2009 1:20 am

Originally Posted by DangerousKitchen (Post 7390872)

Uh, no it's not. Here's another American who thinks a British accent on a man is pretty sexy. No, he won't sound like a meathead, he'll sound like a gentleman. Nothing wrong with that.

NC Penguin Mar 18th 2009 2:16 am

Originally Posted by Anna Clare (Post 7391331)
My post was pretty clear that "a chinky" is the usual term for Londoners for a Chinese takeout; a term deployed to and with Chinese people.

Needless to say these usages are always debatable as to racism or no. I am an immigrant now of course so I feel I know what it is like!

I'm a born and bred Londoner and I've never heard anyone refer to their Chinese takeaway as a "chinky". I really do suggest you try saying that within earshot of either Chinatown in London and then you can decide whether it's a racist term or not.

Are you a closet BNP member?:sneaky:

Anna Clare Mar 18th 2009 2:30 am

It's tiresome to "defend" sayings of yore. Rightly or wrongly (have it your way) that's how we order(ed) chinky food in London for 20 years.

My point (!) was that there are our UK "ways" and there are USA "ways" (including weird use of "Asian" to describe all Chinese, Japanese and Korean; but not Indian or Pakistani people).

I do not know,as it is a cultural issue, which is right or wrong . . . I live in USA so I live by USA mores.

Yawwn as to endless debate about "who is racist"?

Anna Clare Mar 18th 2009 2:32 am

By the way, I worked for the London NHS and for London boroughs as a senior manager until May 2007. I think I am able to manage "political correctness" particular to UK.

Elvira Mar 18th 2009 6:44 am

Originally Posted by Anna Clare (Post 7391338)

Freedom of speech does not give anyone the right to be offensive.

Londoners most certainly do not use that word to describe a Chinese takeaway.

*I am a Londoner*

Anna Clare Mar 18th 2009 6:50 am

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 7392002)

Londoners most certainly do not use that word to describe a Chinese takeaway.

*I am a Londoner*

Yes they do! (Argument continues (but without me from here on!) : yes / no yes/ no lalala ad nauseum).

By the way my best friend is married to a Chinese man and they run a "Chinky" aka Chinese takeaway. Not an "Asian takeout" which i find offensive to all the differing peoples of Asia.

I think this one is exhausted, don't you?!

coachd Mar 18th 2009 7:03 am

Originally Posted by Anna Clare (Post 7392028)

I think this one is exhausted, don't you?!

Hopefully!:sneaky:

Umpatan Mar 18th 2009 8:29 am

Originally Posted by Islandgurl (Post 7379953)
I've never found it a hinderance..I think its actually helped a lot...people always assume I just got off the boat..and NO.. I dont want to fit in, I've not lost my accent..prob because I don't want to....

Getting off the boat, being 'fresh off the boat' only applies to those of colour, especially those Asians (both South and East). I have heard of even funnier, about a Japanese Briton who spoke with an English accent in Vancouver. He is asked if he is Hong Kong Chinese, with people wondering if he was one of those elite Hong Kong Chinese who had a British education. When he travelled to Hong Kong, they also thought that he was one of theirs, except that he was a white washed banana for not being able to speak Cantonese. And to add to the fun, his girlfriend is actually a Hong Kong Chinese Canadian dual citizen.

jmh Mar 18th 2009 8:31 am

Originally Posted by Anna Clare (Post 7391520)
It's tiresome to "defend" sayings of yore. Rightly or wrongly (have it your way) that's how we order(ed) chinky food in London for 20 years.

My point (!) was that there are our UK "ways" and there are USA "ways" (including weird use of "Asian" to describe all Chinese, Japanese and Korean; but not Indian or Pakistani people).

I do not know,as it is a cultural issue, which is right or wrong . . . I live in USA so I live by USA mores.

Yawwn as to endless debate about "who is racist"?

Maybe you are not racist, but if you continue to use that term in London most people will assume you are. They are probably just too polite to say anything.

Umpatan Mar 18th 2009 8:47 am

Originally Posted by jmh (Post 7392271)
Maybe you are not racist, but if you continue to use that term in London most people will assume you are. They are probably just too polite to say anything.

People are polite maybe in Canada, but Americans will probably tell you to your face if you are racist. Could you imagine the USA breaking up into five and parts of it joining Canada? I like the idea of the Quebec being given to the USA in exchange for California! I will then go live in San Francisco in the winter.

Not to change the topic a bit here, but I wonder how many US Marines will be saying SEMPER FI and Oorah, if the US economy collapse while they were in Iraq, and they learned that their Montgomery GI Bill was going to be worthless as the paper currency itself? I wonder how many will wonder rather than focusing on rebuilding some remote nation in the middle east, the fixing of their own homeland will be requiring attention instead?

I wonder if some people who are fan of Art Bell and George Nooray on 1410am Coast to Coast would think of this? (now, I don't give a damn about Whitley Strieber, but Catherine Austin Fitts, I am interest in listening to.)

Xebedee Mar 18th 2009 9:05 am

We sound "gay"??
Hahahhhaahhha ha hahahhaa aahhhahah hahahahahh ha!
That's a new one.
Mind, the rare times I've ever had Yanks poke fun or make disparaging remarks about my accent or language, they've been the same predictable type. F150 with added goatee.

Of course, these same "guys" usually lay claim that a deep Southern accent on a Woman is "real sexy". A la Alabama or Georgia - yeah, if you like Women who sound like their last brain cell just evacuated their right ear.

Gay. Yeah, of course we sound gay.
'kin ell.

Xebedee Mar 18th 2009 9:12 am

Originally Posted by Anna Clare (Post 7391331)

I use the word "chinky" all the time and have only been beaten up 27 times.

And I do like Chinese.

-even though they only come up to your knees
-but they're cute and cuddly and ready to please
-their ying and yang'ese
-they come from a long way overseas

I also like traffic lights.

clarissageo Mar 18th 2009 12:03 pm

I've been here about 4 months now, and when I first got here the endless stream of blank looks in Walmart (which was pretty much my limit of speaking to Americans) drove me to the point where I hated opening my mouth, and felt like my accent was a real hindrance....

However....

I started work about 5 weeks ago at a hotel that has just opened (2 days ago in fact) and up until our opening day it was very much an 'all hands on deck' situation with the whole team helping out the construction workers / housekeepers / cleaners etc.... it was then that I actually realised that my accent was a huge bonus, and a fantastic Icebreaker - the whole 'where are you from' was still there, but the comments were:
'I love your accent' (usually the girls).....
'damn thats a sexy accent'........ 'How about you follow me around all day and just talk to me'........ from the construction workers
oh, and the classic, which I struggled to control my bladder and my laughter at was 'Do you know what a xenophile is?..... its someone who is addicted to foreigners..... I realised last night that I am one, because I find your accent intoxicating.... honestly ma'am..... when you speak to me I feel drunk.... and please, don't get me on the subject of your beauty...' :rofl:
I guess he thought he was being smooth!!

Since the hotel opened, I've worked two check ins, and about 50% of guests have commented on my accent. Its been a great Icebreaker, and has really got them talking - my manager has even had me playing problem solver when things have gone wrong (as they have, teething problems in a new building of course)...... apparently the theory is because I'm little, and I have this soft, british voice, it catches people on the back foot so they are less likely to shout!...... They've also said that my voice is more calming than some of the harsher accents that we have working with us!

Although I've changed some of the words I use (bin / garbage, trolley / cart, Dinner / Tea etc) to make life easier, I've now started to realise the benefits of having this 'sexy accent'!

Paul S Mar 18th 2009 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by Xebedee (Post 7392382)
And I do like Chinese.

-even though they only come up to your knees
-but they're cute and cuddly and ready to please
-their ying and yang'ese
-they come from a long way overseas

I also like traffic lights.

and Monty Python too I'm guessing:p

Floridared Mar 18th 2009 12:56 pm

I'm asked if I'm Irish almost daily, I have a Restaurant, so get many people coming through the door. Also if I'm Australian, but the one I always smile at, is when I'm asked if I'm Scottish!! I'm a Bristolian, so putting that accent on a par with Scottish would really upset our Northern cousins!!
I had been here for about a year, when two very nice old ladies wanted to see around the dance hall we have. After the usual questions, about where I come from, and finding out I'm English, one asked how lond I'd been in the States. I said about a year, and she replied "What's it like to live in a Free Country" :eek:

chartreuse Mar 18th 2009 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 7392002)

Actually, it does, that's kind of the point. Of course it also comes with the right to face the consequences.*

* Consequences can include loss of career opportunities, social ostracism and being punched in the mouth.

sime303 Mar 18th 2009 2:01 pm

Not that I live in a small town but when I just called the Town office to find out how much excise tax I would have to pay on my new car they knew who I was before I gave my name.

chartreuse Mar 18th 2009 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by sime303 (Post 7393404)
Not that I live in a small town but when I just called the Town office to find out how much excise tax I would have to pay on my new car they knew who I was before I gave my name.

I get the same at the bank. Also, I had to warn SWMBO that, even though 5p coins work as dimes in newspaper vending machines, it's probably not a good idea to do that round our way...:rofl:

Xebedee Mar 18th 2009 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by Floridared (Post 7393218)
I had been here for about a year, when two very nice old ladies wanted to see around the dance hall we have. After the usual questions, about where I come from, and finding out I'm English, one asked how lond I'd been in the States. I said about a year, and she replied "What's it like to live in a Free Country" :eek:

Oh Budda.

Lothianlad Mar 18th 2009 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by Floridared (Post 7393218)
.... one asked how long I'd been in the States. I said about a year, and she replied "What's it like to live in a Free Country" :eek:

I'd have thought the answer to that one would be very simple....as the American lady in question had no idea what it's like to live in a Free Country and wanted you to tell her I'd have said something on the lines of:

"Well, move to England, luv, and find out for yourself....." Easy peasy.

mistahsinclair Mar 18th 2009 4:47 pm

I was born in Edinburgh...raised pretty close to there...went to university in Glasgow...lived in London for 3 years...ultimately moved to the US when I was ~25.

People (read ladies) generally like my accent, but I have had the same basic comment made on three different occassions. The conversation is roughly:

Question: "Where are you from?"

Answer: "Scotland"

Question: "How long have been in the US?"

Answer: "<some timeframe>"

Comment: "Wow, you speak very good English"

How do you reply to that??? Other than saying "thanks!"

On other notes...

Nobody has ever picked out that I'm Scottish. I've been pegged for Australian, South African, Kiwi, and EVEN English! :devil_smile:

I drive an F150 and have a goatee...maybe helps me blend in!

I have problems every time I order water or tomato.

Never heard the word 'chinky' used in London. Heard it everywhere in Scotland though.

idk4 Mar 18th 2009 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by clarissageo (Post 7393004)
I've been here about 4 months now, and when I first got here the endless stream of blank looks in Walmart (which was pretty much my limit of speaking to Americans) drove me to the point where I hated opening my mouth, and felt like my accent was a real hindrance....

However....

I started work about 5 weeks ago at a hotel that has just opened (2 days ago in fact) and up until our opening day it was very much an 'all hands on deck' situation with the whole team helping out the construction workers / housekeepers / cleaners etc.... it was then that I actually realised that my accent was a huge bonus, and a fantastic Icebreaker - the whole 'where are you from' was still there, but the comments were:
'I love your accent' (usually the girls).....
'damn thats a sexy accent'........ 'How about you follow me around all day and just talk to me'........ from the construction workers
oh, and the classic, which I struggled to control my bladder and my laughter at was 'Do you know what a xenophile is?..... its someone who is addicted to foreigners..... I realised last night that I am one, because I find your accent intoxicating.... honestly ma'am..... when you speak to me I feel drunk.... and please, don't get me on the subject of your beauty...' :rofl:
I guess he thought he was being smooth!!

Since the hotel opened, I've worked two check ins, and about 50% of guests have commented on my accent. Its been a great Icebreaker, and has really got them talking - my manager has even had me playing problem solver when things have gone wrong (as they have, teething problems in a new building of course)...... apparently the theory is because I'm little, and I have this soft, british voice, it catches people on the back foot so they are less likely to shout!...... They've also said that my voice is more calming than some of the harsher accents that we have working with us!

Although I've changed some of the words I use (bin / garbage, trolley / cart, Dinner / Tea etc) to make life easier, I've now started to realise the benefits of having this 'sexy accent'!

THANKS FOR The reply. where in uk you from?? and have you ever had any negative comments, not about your accent but like being english n stuff.?

meauxna Mar 18th 2009 8:21 pm

idk4, where have you traveled to before? That might lend some context to your questions.

Bluegrass Lass Mar 18th 2009 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by mistahsinclair (Post 7394066)
I was born in Edinburgh...raised pretty close to there...went to university in Glasgow...lived in London for 3 years...ultimately moved to the US when I was ~25.

People (read ladies) generally like my accent, but I have had the same basic comment made on three different occassions. The conversation is roughly:

Question: "Where are you from?"

Answer: "Scotland"

Question: "How long have been in the US?"

Answer: "<some timeframe>"

Comment: "Wow, you speak very good English"

How do you reply to that??? Other than saying "thanks!"

On other notes...

Nobody has ever picked out that I'm Scottish. I've been pegged for Australian, South African, Kiwi, and EVEN English! :devil_smile:

I drive an F150 and have a goatee...maybe helps me blend in!

I have problems every time I order water or tomato.

Never heard the word 'chinky' used in London. Heard it everywhere in Scotland though.

My OH is Scottish by blood, but South African by birth. It confuses the hell out of everyone! Add in the influence of a Southern accent and none will be able to tell where he's from. :rofl:

I've been to Edinburgh a few times, and that accent sounds quite a bit like an English one to my ears - it's a very soft Scots accent - very easy to confuse with an English one. Now Glasgow, OTH, where my in-laws are from, has a very strong accent and noone mistakes their accent when they come visit! :lol:

mistahsinclair Mar 18th 2009 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13 (Post 7395220)
My OH is Scottish by blood, but South African by birth. It confuses the hell out of everyone! Add in the influence of a Southern accent and none will be able to tell where he's from. :rofl:

I've been to Edinburgh a few times, and that accent sounds quite a bit like an English one to my ears - it's a very soft Scots accent - very easy to confuse with an English one. Now Glasgow, OTH, where my in-laws are from, has a very strong accent and noone mistakes their accent when they come visit! :lol:

Yeah, to be honest I've never had a strong accent - but having lived in quite a few places I don't have trouble understanding almost everyone.

The part of Louisiana I'm in also has a pretty mild accent, so I shouldn't pick anything to bad up to mix things even further!

Lothianlad Mar 18th 2009 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by DangerousKitchen (Post 7390872)

Och...what a load of gob$hite that is. Americans really are more screwed up than I ever imagined.... so many of them seem to be real dafties, and with an American President now in place who hates the very guts of us Brits I think I will completely abandon any plans or even desire to go to America one day.

Anyway, what do they mean by "British" accent anyway? We've got f****g hundreds of them.

meauxna Mar 18th 2009 10:45 pm

Hook, Line & Sinker, guys. Please notice that that poster is no longer with us.

Elvira Mar 18th 2009 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by Lothianlad (Post 7395472)
Och...what a load of gob$hite that is. Americans really are more screwed up than I ever imagined.... so many of them seem to be real dafties, and with an American President now in place who hates the very guts of us Brits I think I will completely abandon any plans or even desire to go to America one day.

Anyway, what do they mean by "British" accent anyway? We've got f****g hundreds of them.

:ohmy: :confused: :blink:

Umpatan Mar 19th 2009 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by Lothianlad (Post 7395472)

Maybe you ought to tell them that THEY got an AMERICAN accent. I know we have hundreds of different variations in the UK, but to play their egos on this, it would be good to remind them whose language are they speaking.
They need to be reminded that English comes from England!
I speak with a Canadian accent because I came to Vancouver when I was five. And when I return, I am commented on having an American accent, and I do say it is a Canadian accent, and that is the way it is, because it is I who has the accent being raised abroad. I think if you like North America but want to live where they don't hate the British, you should try Canada where they are mostly descendants of loyalists. (Of course, French Quebec is a different story)

Floridared Mar 19th 2009 12:56 pm

When I answer the phone at my restaurant, I say this is Paul speaking, and quite often it goes quiet for a second, then they'll reply Pooal? One guy even called me Ball! I was tempted to ask "left or right" :confused: