British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   is your accent something that gets commented on alot (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/your-accent-something-gets-commented-alot-597582/)

Lothianlad Mar 21st 2009 12:16 am

Re: is your accent something that gets commented on alot

Originally Posted by Englishtart (Post 7385723)
you can't be serious? I haven't lived here too long that I forget the fascination with all things American in England! Things can't have changed that much surely :confused:

Ummmmmm...well, yes they have actually....a lot.

orangemirror Mar 21st 2009 12:37 am

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 7402662)
You've been reading "Mother Tongue" by Bill Bryson, maybe? Many of the spellings, certainly, changed in the UK but remained the same in the US - so it's US spelling that is "correct" most of the time and UK spelling that is "wrong/changed" And apparently there are pockets of people up in the Appalachian mountains who speak Elizabethan English

I haven't read it but i think i'd like to. Is it worth a read?

Kaffy Mintcake Mar 21st 2009 12:55 am

You've been reading "Mother Tongue" by Bill Bryson, maybe? Many of the spellings, certainly, changed in the UK but remained the same in the US - so it's US spelling that is "correct" most of the time and UK spelling that is "wrong/changed" And apparently there are pockets of people up in the Appalachian mountains who speak Elizabethan English

That's really interesting. My late grandfather was fluent in Swedish as most of our ancestors came from Sweden. He was chosen as a member of a delegation to welcome some VIP Swedes to San Francisco about 20 years ago. When he asked how his Swedish was, he was told that he spoke the way the Swedes would have about 100 years ago. Makes sense when you think about it.

Juswus Mar 21st 2009 1:07 am

Originally Posted by orangemirror (Post 7402962)

I enjoyed it :thumbsup:

YoungSteve17 Mar 21st 2009 1:54 am

Originally Posted by Floridared (Post 7393218)
"What's it like to live in a Free Country"

:rofl::rofl:

What was your reaction ???

YoungSteve17 Mar 21st 2009 2:16 am

My favorite one is spunk
I don't know how many times i have heard people over here say something like

"Dam that girl has spunk "

:rofl:

Englishtart Mar 21st 2009 2:18 am

All of his books are worth reading, I especially liked "tales from a small Island":thumbsup:

Floridared Mar 21st 2009 2:32 am

Originally Posted by YoungSteve17 (Post 7403131)
:rofl::rofl:

What was your reaction ???

Astonishment really!! I'm from England Madam, not Bloody Russia!! :huh:

orangemirror Mar 21st 2009 2:49 am

Originally Posted by Juswus (Post 7403018)
I enjoyed it :thumbsup:

Originally Posted by Englishtart (Post 7403188)
All of his books are worth reading, I especially liked "tales from a small Island":thumbsup:

Great. I'll give them a try then. I read his History of Everything book and enjoyed that one a lot.
I saw Mother Tongue in a shop recently and nearly bought it. Should have done. I thought it would be fun for my wife and i to read. Literally everyday one of us will say something and the other one will be "what the hell are you talking about?"

Norri Mar 21st 2009 3:09 am

Riveting as his musings are can BB really be relied on as a historian?

Originally Posted by Lothianlad (Post 7402920)
Meat pies have been reported as being on sale at Kinross Market but when I went over there especially on Saturday I couldn't find any anywhere. I reckon it was just a wicked rumour.

The TV TImes says that with a wee bit of luck The Bill should make an appearance on British TV sometime in mid to late 2010.

You can find anything at Kinross market, you must have been too late for the pies ;)

Jaxbar Mar 21st 2009 4:59 am

I get comments, blank stares and compliments regularly.

A couple the other day kept asking me to say Maryland over and over as of course they say marilyn! It was pretty funny till they then asked me if I knew a friend of theirs who is British I thought they meant here in Pensacola, they really meant did I ever come across so and so in England...Doh

sime303 Mar 21st 2009 9:53 am

Originally Posted by orangemirror (Post 7403229)
Great. I'll give them a try then. I read his History of Everything book and enjoyed that one a lot.
I saw Mother Tongue in a shop recently and nearly bought it. Should have done. I thought it would be fun for my wife and i to read. Literally everyday one of us will say something and the other one will be "what the hell are you talking about?"

After almost 12 years of knowing my wife we still do that. Her more than me these days.

Anything by Bill Bryson is good but "A walk in the woods" and "Notes from a big Country" are probably my faves.

dunroving Mar 21st 2009 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by Norri (Post 7403256)
Riveting as his musings are can BB really be relied on as a historian?

I don't really worry about that too much, although my guess is he's probably at least as accurate as Wikipedia. ;)

dunroving Mar 21st 2009 2:31 pm

Absolutely recommend it, especially if you like your entertainment nerdy. :thumbsup:That's what I like about his books - very funny and informative at the same time.

HSHMN Mar 22nd 2009 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by idk4 (Post 7379890)
i may be moving to the us. i hear about them loving the uk accent.i was just wondering if its somethingg people notice alot or is it only occasionally people comment on it? does your regional accent make a difference, say a posh southern get more attention for being queen like lol.
im quite self conscious so being different can make me feel embarrased because everytime i speak to someone new they will be thinking 'shes british'. though it may be nice to be the novelty, i dk. plus i have a pretty awful accent anyway, so they will probably be thinking 'she has a shit accent'
and also are american nice people, nicer than british?

My husband gets asked if he from Australia.. or 'London' - its a country you know!!??
I get told now and then that they love the accent .. I also find I sometimes have trouble being understood in shops, restaurants and have to repeat myself ..which is really annoying. Would advise developing a bit of twang, as our Uncle did when he moved over 30 yrs ago, now a mix of Yorkshire and US !