British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   is your accent something that gets commented on alot (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/your-accent-something-gets-commented-alot-597582/)

idk4 Mar 15th 2009 12:27 am

is your accent something that gets commented on alot
 
i may be moving to the us. i hear about them loving the uk accent.i was just wondering if its somethingg people notice alot or is it only occasionally people comment on it? does your regional accent make a difference, say a posh southern get more attention for being queen like lol.
im quite self conscious so being different can make me feel embarrased because everytime i speak to someone new they will be thinking 'shes british'. though it may be nice to be the novelty, i dk. plus i have a pretty awful accent anyway, so they will probably be thinking 'she has a shit accent'
and also are american nice people, nicer than british?

Elvira Mar 15th 2009 12:29 am

Re: is your accent something that gets commented on alot
 

Originally Posted by idk4 (Post 7379890)
........are american nice people, nicer than british?

WTF :blink:

dunroving Mar 15th 2009 12:45 am

Re: is your accent something that gets commented on alot
 

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 7379896)
WTF :blink:

I think there must be a full moon tonight: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=597505

Islandgurl Mar 15th 2009 12:45 am

Re: is your accent something that gets commented on alot
 
average americans just hear the British...they cannot really tell the regional differences...ones that actually have a passport and have travelled some often can..
I've been her for over a decade, and still get asked about my accent, and if I like it here..:blink: when I'm home I get called a yank..apparently my accent has reached a bastardized stage..:rofl:

idk4 Mar 15th 2009 12:49 am

Re: is your accent something that gets commented on alot
 
i kind of want to fit in though, and i think having an accent may hinder that...i guess its a good conversation starter but after some time you will still be classed as the newbie even if youve lived there for years because they probably assume youve only just come to the US. i also worry about people saying 'get back to your own country' like im a drain on their resources or their jobs and stuff

Elvira Mar 15th 2009 12:50 am

Re: is your accent something that gets commented on alot
 

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 7379939)
I think there must be a full moon tonight: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=597505

Full Uranus more like:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=597018

;)

Islandgurl Mar 15th 2009 12:52 am

Re: is your accent something that gets commented on alot
 

Originally Posted by idk4 (Post 7379947)
i kind of want to fit in though, and i think having an accent may hinder that...i guess its a good conversation starter but after some time you will still be classed as the newbie even if youve lived there for years because they probably assume youve only just come to the US. i also worry about people saying 'get back to your own country' like im a drain on their resources or their jobs and stuff

I've never found it a hinderance..I think its actually helped a lot...people always assume I just got off the boat..and NO.. I dont want to fit in, I've not lost my accent..prob because I don't want to....

MagStu Mar 15th 2009 1:02 am

Re: is your accent something that gets commented on alot
 
I have lived here for 28 years and people who meet me and do not know me still ask if I am from England. However, I go back to England every year and people who do not know me there assume that I am American. So I think that I have lost some of my accent but am still recognizable as English.
As for it being a hinderance - on the contrary, it is nice that people like the accent so much and, as you say, it breaks the ice when you meet people.

dbj1000 Mar 15th 2009 1:24 am

Re: is your accent something that gets commented on alot
 

Originally Posted by idk4 (Post 7379947)
... like im a drain on their resources or their jobs and stuff

Are you?

AdobePinon Mar 15th 2009 1:48 am

Re: is your accent something that gets commented on alot
 

Originally Posted by Islandgurl (Post 7379940)
average americans just hear the Australian...

Fixed it for ya! ;)

penguinsix Mar 15th 2009 1:55 am

Re: is your accent something that gets commented on alot
 
Trust me, you'll get far with the accent. It will be an instant ice breaker at parties with people asking 'Oh, are you from Australia' and 'Oh, you sound like the GEICO lizard in the TV adverts (long story)'. If you were a guy I'd tell you 'the accent can get you laid' but not sure how it works the other way.

Would suggest you read these wiki items

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Making_Friends_in_America
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Cultur...US_and_England

mayhemuk Mar 15th 2009 2:04 am

Re: is your accent something that gets commented on alot
 
I think it depends where you are.
In the big citys (NYC, San Francisco etc) certainly and most places to be honest you probably won't be a novelty at all.
If you are somewhere a bit further out then maybe you might have some comments.
Been here just over a year and not had a bad experience. And meeting different customers daily with work and only occasionally does anyone comment.

As for drain on resources, what resources? You almost certainly won't be eligible for anything if there's anything to be eligible for. And if you've transfered for an international company isn't there a good chance you'll be in expat company anyway.

YoungSteve17 Mar 15th 2009 2:45 am

Re: is your accent something that gets commented on alot
 

Originally Posted by penguinsix (Post 7380091)
' and Oh, you sound like the GEICO lizard in the TV adverts (long story)'.

HAHA :rofl: :rofl:

I have had that before, it's hilarious

It was pretty good when i first came here but now i don't really like when people notice my accent because i get asked the same old questions i have been asked a million times already. The answers to them are pretty scripted now

I saw that someone said on this thread they had been here 28 years, I cant imagine what 28 years of the same questions feel like :blink:

Mummy in the foothills Mar 15th 2009 5:25 am

Re: is your accent something that gets commented on alot
 

Originally Posted by YoungSteve17 (Post 7380174)

I saw that someone said on this thread they had been here 28 years, I cant imagine what 28 years of the same questions feel like :blink:

I've been here 24 years and it's gets really old and annoying.
I'm told I sound like I'm from Boston :confused: I think my accent has crossed the Atlantic and is getting closer.

sime303 Mar 15th 2009 7:12 am

Re: is your accent something that gets commented on alot
 

Originally Posted by idk4 (Post 7379890)
i may be moving to the us. i hear about them loving the uk accent.i was just wondering if its somethingg people notice alot or is it only occasionally people comment on it? does your regional accent make a difference, say a posh southern get more attention for being queen like lol.
im quite self conscious so being different can make me feel embarrased because everytime i speak to someone new they will be thinking 'shes british'. though it may be nice to be the novelty, i dk. plus i have a pretty awful accent anyway, so they will probably be thinking 'she has a shit accent'
and also are american nice people, nicer than british?

Get used to being Australian.


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:59 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.