Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

is your accent something that gets commented on alot

is your accent something that gets commented on alot

Old Mar 18th 2009, 1:33 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: is your accent something that gets commented on alot

Originally Posted by Elvira
Freedom of speech does not give anyone the right to be offensive.
Actually, it does, that's kind of the point. Of course it also comes with the right to face the consequences.*

* Consequences can include loss of career opportunities, social ostracism and being punched in the mouth.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 2:01 pm
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

Not that I live in a small town but when I just called the Town office to find out how much excise tax I would have to pay on my new car they knew who I was before I gave my name.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 2:29 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sime303
Not that I live in a small town but when I just called the Town office to find out how much excise tax I would have to pay on my new car they knew who I was before I gave my name.
I get the same at the bank. Also, I had to warn SWMBO that, even though 5p coins work as dimes in newspaper vending machines, it's probably not a good idea to do that round our way...
Old Mar 18th 2009, 2:43 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Floridared
I had been here for about a year, when two very nice old ladies wanted to see around the dance hall we have. After the usual questions, about where I come from, and finding out I'm English, one asked how lond I'd been in the States. I said about a year, and she replied "What's it like to live in a Free Country"
Oh Budda.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 3:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Floridared
.... one asked how long I'd been in the States. I said about a year, and she replied "What's it like to live in a Free Country"

I'd have thought the answer to that one would be very simple....as the American lady in question had no idea what it's like to live in a Free Country and wanted you to tell her I'd have said something on the lines of:

"Well, move to England, luv, and find out for yourself....." Easy peasy.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 4:47 pm
Just Joined

mistahsinclair is an unknown quantity at this point

I was born in Edinburgh...raised pretty close to there...went to university in Glasgow...lived in London for 3 years...ultimately moved to the US when I was ~25.

People (read ladies) generally like my accent, but I have had the same basic comment made on three different occassions. The conversation is roughly:

Question: "Where are you from?"

Answer: "Scotland"

Question: "How long have been in the US?"

Answer: "<some timeframe>"

Comment: "Wow, you speak very good English"

How do you reply to that??? Other than saying "thanks!"

On other notes...

Nobody has ever picked out that I'm Scottish. I've been pegged for Australian, South African, Kiwi, and EVEN English!

I drive an F150 and have a goatee...maybe helps me blend in!

I have problems every time I order water or tomato.

Never heard the word 'chinky' used in London. Heard it everywhere in Scotland though.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 8:19 pm
Just Joined

idk4 is a name known to allidk4 is a name known to allidk4 is a name known to allidk4 is a name known to allidk4 is a name known to allidk4 is a name known to allidk4 is a name known to allidk4 is a name known to allidk4 is a name known to allidk4 is a name known to allidk4 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by clarissageo
I've been here about 4 months now, and when I first got here the endless stream of blank looks in Walmart (which was pretty much my limit of speaking to Americans) drove me to the point where I hated opening my mouth, and felt like my accent was a real hindrance....

However....

I started work about 5 weeks ago at a hotel that has just opened (2 days ago in fact) and up until our opening day it was very much an 'all hands on deck' situation with the whole team helping out the construction workers / housekeepers / cleaners etc.... it was then that I actually realised that my accent was a huge bonus, and a fantastic Icebreaker - the whole 'where are you from' was still there, but the comments were:
'I love your accent' (usually the girls).....
'damn thats a sexy accent'........ 'How about you follow me around all day and just talk to me'........ from the construction workers
oh, and the classic, which I struggled to control my bladder and my laughter at was 'Do you know what a xenophile is?..... its someone who is addicted to foreigners..... I realised last night that I am one, because I find your accent intoxicating.... honestly ma'am..... when you speak to me I feel drunk.... and please, don't get me on the subject of your beauty...'
I guess he thought he was being smooth!!

Since the hotel opened, I've worked two check ins, and about 50% of guests have commented on my accent. Its been a great Icebreaker, and has really got them talking - my manager has even had me playing problem solver when things have gone wrong (as they have, teething problems in a new building of course)...... apparently the theory is because I'm little, and I have this soft, british voice, it catches people on the back foot so they are less likely to shout!...... They've also said that my voice is more calming than some of the harsher accents that we have working with us!

Although I've changed some of the words I use (bin / garbage, trolley / cart, Dinner / Tea etc) to make life easier, I've now started to realise the benefits of having this 'sexy accent'!

THANKS FOR The reply. where in uk you from?? and have you ever had any negative comments, not about your accent but like being english n stuff.?
Old Mar 18th 2009, 8:21 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

idk4, where have you traveled to before? That might lend some context to your questions.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 9:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mistahsinclair
I was born in Edinburgh...raised pretty close to there...went to university in Glasgow...lived in London for 3 years...ultimately moved to the US when I was ~25.

People (read ladies) generally like my accent, but I have had the same basic comment made on three different occassions. The conversation is roughly:

Question: "Where are you from?"

Answer: "Scotland"

Question: "How long have been in the US?"

Answer: "<some timeframe>"

Comment: "Wow, you speak very good English"

How do you reply to that??? Other than saying "thanks!"

On other notes...

Nobody has ever picked out that I'm Scottish. I've been pegged for Australian, South African, Kiwi, and EVEN English!

I drive an F150 and have a goatee...maybe helps me blend in!

I have problems every time I order water or tomato.

Never heard the word 'chinky' used in London. Heard it everywhere in Scotland though.
My OH is Scottish by blood, but South African by birth. It confuses the hell out of everyone! Add in the influence of a Southern accent and none will be able to tell where he's from.

I've been to Edinburgh a few times, and that accent sounds quite a bit like an English one to my ears - it's a very soft Scots accent - very easy to confuse with an English one. Now Glasgow, OTH, where my in-laws are from, has a very strong accent and noone mistakes their accent when they come visit!
Old Mar 18th 2009, 9:36 pm
Just Joined

mistahsinclair is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
My OH is Scottish by blood, but South African by birth. It confuses the hell out of everyone! Add in the influence of a Southern accent and none will be able to tell where he's from.

I've been to Edinburgh a few times, and that accent sounds quite a bit like an English one to my ears - it's a very soft Scots accent - very easy to confuse with an English one. Now Glasgow, OTH, where my in-laws are from, has a very strong accent and noone mistakes their accent when they come visit!
Yeah, to be honest I've never had a strong accent - but having lived in quite a few places I don't have trouble understanding almost everyone.

The part of Louisiana I'm in also has a pretty mild accent, so I shouldn't pick anything to bad up to mix things even further!
Old Mar 18th 2009, 10:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DangerousKitchen
In America it's considered beautiful on a woman and very wimpy on a guy.
Och...what a load of gob$hite that is. Americans really are more screwed up than I ever imagined.... so many of them seem to be real dafties, and with an American President now in place who hates the very guts of us Brits I think I will completely abandon any plans or even desire to go to America one day.

Anyway, what do they mean by "British" accent anyway? We've got f****g hundreds of them.

Last edited by Lothianlad; Mar 18th 2009 at 10:38 pm.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 10:45 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Hook, Line & Sinker, guys. Please notice that that poster is no longer with us.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 11:45 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
Och...what a load of gob$hite that is. Americans really are more screwed up than I ever imagined.... so many of them seem to be real dafties, and with an American President now in place who hates the very guts of us Brits I think I will completely abandon any plans or even desire to go to America one day.

Anyway, what do they mean by "British" accent anyway? We've got f****g hundreds of them.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 12:35 pm
Banned

Umpatan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lothianlad

Maybe you ought to tell them that THEY got an AMERICAN accent. I know we have hundreds of different variations in the UK, but to play their egos on this, it would be good to remind them whose language are they speaking.
They need to be reminded that English comes from England!
I speak with a Canadian accent because I came to Vancouver when I was five. And when I return, I am commented on having an American accent, and I do say it is a Canadian accent, and that is the way it is, because it is I who has the accent being raised abroad. I think if you like North America but want to live where they don't hate the British, you should try Canada where they are mostly descendants of loyalists. (Of course, French Quebec is a different story)
Old Mar 19th 2009, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

Floridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud of

When I answer the phone at my restaurant, I say this is Paul speaking, and quite often it goes quiet for a second, then they'll reply Pooal? One guy even called me Ball! I was tempted to ask "left or right"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.