Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

is your accent something that gets commented on alot

is your accent something that gets commented on alot

Old Mar 17th 2009, 8:43 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: is your accent something that gets commented on alot

Sometimes I get a lot of comments and then none for ages.

Most people want to know where I am from and then they ask lots of questions to keep me talking. Normally I can talk all day but at that point my mind always goes blank. I am always told I sound like Emma Thompson.

I have recently started teaching calligraphy classes again and I was really nervous on my first day and told the class to always remember to bring a rubber with them. I knew what I should have said but I just blanked and out came the wrong word.

We have struck up conversations with all sorts of people because we sound different. It's fun.

Our local park is trying to ban dogs from the park and so a big group of us have been going to the town council meetings. I was asked to speak for them all at the first meeting because of my accent...they thought it would intimidate the town managers
Old Mar 17th 2009, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

elliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Anna Clare
oh my goodness. . . the word "water" has been the bane of my life on drive thru coffee places - "cappucino" is fine, but "water" is a nightmare

I agree with the previous post that the betst bet is to go for broke with waaaaadderr
Every day I get blank stares from people when I ask for water... I sound ridiculous even attempting to say waaaddderr All my US friends take great delight in attempting a British "war-tur" when we're eating out; Thankfully they sound more ridiculous than I do!!

I too have had the German thing- twice. Once by a friend who I had known for about 4 months at the time and he had no idea at all that I was English...
Old Mar 17th 2009, 10:26 pm
Just Joined

coachd is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck with that then...

From my own experience's ( I come from just outside Glasgow ) I found it quite difficult to be understood, the way I spoke changed very quickly ( mostly without trying ) to allow me to say things once rather than three or four times. I still sounded unmistakedly Scottish, but communicated without problems.
Having said that I also know a few people from your parts that found it even more difficult, one in particular who picked up the nick name "50 /50".

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
If I ever get to be in the USA surely not even the Americans could ever mistake my Edinburgh Scots accent for an Oz one? If I was there for ever I would never change my accent in any way at all. I would make a determined effort never to allow Americanisms to tarnish my accent in any way...no way. I may well like the Americans as people but their accents are mostly something else.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 10:27 pm
Banned

DangerousKitchen is an unknown quantity at this point

I married my wife because of her accent. A british accent on a woman is incredibly attractive to American males...It's very feminine. Inversely a british accent sounds incredibly gay when a male has it. It's like really red hair. It's great on women and terrible on men.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 10:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by DangerousKitchen
I married my wife because of her accent. A british accent on a woman is incredibly attractive to American males...It's very feminine. Inversely a british accent sounds incredibly gay when a male has it. It's like really red hair. It's great on women and terrible on men.
au contraire I love men with english accents, in fact I stalk this guy every time I see him at timmies because of his beautiful sexy accent. I try to get a table beside him just to listen to him speak - he's not a looker by any means, but the accent is SO SEXY.....!

Just a canadian opinion........
Old Mar 17th 2009, 10:40 pm
Banned

DangerousKitchen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by willmore
au contraire I love men with english accents, in fact I stalk this guy every time I see him at timmies because of his beautiful sexy accent. I try to get a table beside him just to listen to him speak - he's not a looker by any means, but the accent is SO SEXY.....!

Just a canadian opinion........
In America it's considered beautiful on a woman and very wimpy on a guy.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 10:52 pm
Just Joined

idk4 is a name known to allidk4 is a name known to allidk4 is a name known to allidk4 is a name known to allidk4 is a name known to allidk4 is a name known to allidk4 is a name known to allidk4 is a name known to allidk4 is a name known to allidk4 is a name known to allidk4 is a name known to all

i wonder how 'feminime' a chavvy manc accent or a scouse accents sound. not all brits sound like emma thompson!
and only that posh accent can be seen as wimpy because so many other british accents sound rough as hell!
Old Mar 17th 2009, 10:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute

So many shallow and sterotyped comments in one post, perhaps a record?
Old Mar 17th 2009, 10:53 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

The young woman who asked me (I am a Londoner) if I was German was from deepest rural Northern Cali. Hey we're all European!

On that note, before I moved here I thought Asia, Africa and Europe were large diverse multi-national continents, not generic terms liberally utilised by my new countrymen.

As a Brit we don't often see ourselves as European! Until now.

And have you noticed how "Asian" means Japanese, Chinese, Korean maybe . . . . never Indian, Pakistani or Bangladeshi?

As a corollary, in London we often ordered a "Chinky" from the "Chinky" - a Chinese takeaway from the Chinese takeaway. My husband nearly add a coronary in Sab Francisco Chinatown in a bakery when I used the word chinky as it is apparently pretty racist! Just shows there's two sides to every story . . .
Actually, "chinky" is racist in the UK too. Have you ever said that in front of a Chinese person? I wouldn't if I were you.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 10:55 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Missed us already RTD?
Old Mar 17th 2009, 11:44 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jumping doris
Sometimes I get a lot of comments and then none for ages..........
You Emma Thompson.......... me Helen Mirren

I can empathise with the rubber thing too.............. at Office Max, many years ago. Could not understand why the chap looked shocked...

Good luck with the doggy campaign!!!
Old Mar 17th 2009, 11:45 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Actually, "chinky" is racist in the UK too. Have you ever said that in front of a Chinese person? I wouldn't if I were you.
Indeed!!! (almost as bad as referring to 'our Paki friend'... )
Old Mar 18th 2009, 12:56 am
Forum Regular

Anna Clare is just really niceAnna Clare is just really niceAnna Clare is just really niceAnna Clare is just really niceAnna Clare is just really niceAnna Clare is just really niceAnna Clare is just really niceAnna Clare is just really nice

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
My post was pretty clear that "a chinky" is the usual term for Londoners for a Chinese takeout; a term deployed to and with Chinese people.

Needless to say these usages are always debatable as to racism or no. I am an immigrant now of course so I feel I know what it is like!
Old Mar 18th 2009, 12:58 am
Forum Regular

Anna Clare is just really niceAnna Clare is just really niceAnna Clare is just really niceAnna Clare is just really niceAnna Clare is just really niceAnna Clare is just really niceAnna Clare is just really niceAnna Clare is just really nice

Originally Posted by Elvira
Indeed!!! (almost as bad as referring to 'our Paki friend'... )
I do not agree, though like the USA, I defend freedom of speech and your right to say what you believe.

A chinky remains the term of choice for Londoners for a Chinese takeaway.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 1:19 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I do not agree, though like the USA, I defend freedom of speech and your right to say what you believe.

A chinky remains the term of choice for Londoners for a Chinese takeaway.
Whether the Chinese people like it or not!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.