Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

is your accent something that gets commented on alot

is your accent something that gets commented on alot

Old Mar 15th 2009, 4:56 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: is your accent something that gets commented on alot

Originally Posted by YoungSteve17
Yes i have been told i have a "smart mouth" For the most simplest responses to questions that some Americans found a little sarcastic i guess.

I think Americans are over sensitive when it comes to humor
I believe it's cause they don't understand the UK sense of humor and try so hard to be politically correct in front of people they have just met. Once they know you better they relax and can laugh with you, either that or they spend their time trying to one up you, and get snarky themselves.
Old Mar 15th 2009, 5:12 pm
Just Joined

MagStu is an unknown quantity at this point

In reply to YoungSteve17, 28 years of people asking me about my accent has not been a burden. I have always wanted to retain my accent and having people who do not know me say that they like it and am I from England, makes me feel good. When I return to England and people think that I am American, it makes me feel bad. I am English, and although I am living here and doing everything that Americans do, my bloodline is who I am.
So, I never get tired of it. Also, Steve, I came from Colchester, pretty close to Ipswich where you come from so in 28 years time you should still have your accent!!!!!
Old Mar 15th 2009, 6:18 pm
Just Joined

idk4 is a name known to allidk4 is a name known to allidk4 is a name known to allidk4 is a name known to allidk4 is a name known to allidk4 is a name known to allidk4 is a name known to allidk4 is a name known to allidk4 is a name known to allidk4 is a name known to allidk4 is a name known to all

well my boyfriend may be getting a chance to go over there. The thing is, everything i hear about americans is negaitve in my sense. from what i have read they seem to have a strong work ethic but in a getting to the top kind, they seem to not have a sense of humour, and not very relaxed.and probably will not get me one bit.
Old Mar 15th 2009, 6:26 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

First, don't believe anything you read / see / watch in a) Hollywood movies and b) the European media regarding life in America.

Second, by the way, I guess we should have raised this earlier.

It will be nearly impossible for you to get a visa to work or live in the US if it is just 'your boyfriend' coming over. He needs to be your husband, or you need to have a path to a visa in your own right. I think there is one class of visas that allow 'partners' to enter but for almost all the others you have to be married, and even then, many of those don't allow you to work.

Do you happen to know which visa he is seeking / his company is seeking for him?

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA
Old Mar 15th 2009, 6:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by idk4
well my boyfriend may be getting a chance to go over there. The thing is, everything i hear about americans is negaitve in my sense. from what i have read they seem to have a strong work ethic but in a getting to the top kind, they seem to not have a sense of humour, and not very relaxed.and probably will not get me one bit.

If you form opinoins of people, before you have even met them, that makes you closed minded (and stupid) You have to take what other people say about America and it's people, with a grain of salt!
If you ever do make it to the US, for vacation or to move here, your attitude will not help you make many friends here and you will be miserable!
Old Mar 15th 2009, 6:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Americans can take a joke and even an insult, from someone they trust. But a newbie arriving off the boat speaking with an English accent will easily be labelled a 'jerk' if the first thing they do when meeting folks they don't know that well is to start 'taking a piss' on everyone. Satire is regarded by many over here as the last refuge of a weak-minded. Used by someone who cannot come up with anything productive so they take the easy way out with a simple minded witty retort rather than come up with a full-reasoned valuable response. It's regarded as very unprofessional in the workplace (though it goes on) and almost a no-go in social circumstances. You'll quickly get the label 'snarky' which isn't a nice one to have.

Better, no. Worse, no. Different.
I don't agree with the comment "satire is regarded as the last refuge of a weak-minded" but do agree that it's good to have a rapport with someone before using a lot of sarcasm, or 'taking the piss'. It's pretty easy to read if someone's sense of humor is along those lines or not ... listen to see if you ever hear the person in question express a dry sense or humor or any sarcasm.

Example - one of my coworkers is a very friendly, polite man. He sent a sincere note to me that he was very sorry that he would be unable to make our work happy hour (which was a welcome to me and another new girl in the department) due to another engagement. I was about to make a smart remark, just in teasing, but thought better of it because I've never seen him interact with others that way. I think that was a wise move.

In contrast, another coworker of mine, who I've known for a while was telling me the other day that she learned to play a card game a different way than what we would be doing at an upcoming social tournament. Her boss overheard and said "Oh, you mean you're used to cheating?" and a series of ribbing comments came from me and her boss.

The difference? That girl is on the same wavelength, can give as good as she gets, and there's a rapport there already.

I can see how if you make remarks like that right off the bat, when noone knows you, that some might think "Is he being serious?" and may misunderstand your intentions.
Old Mar 15th 2009, 6:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

America is like every other country, you'll meet people you like, and people you don't like. Some may "get you", some may not. With a population of millions, I would think everyone would find some people they could get along well with.
Old Mar 15th 2009, 6:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

PepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond repute

My accent got me loads of attention in St Louis, Missouri,

In fact I've ended up becoming great friends with Jeff Burton one of St Louis's top djs and spend a fair bit of time in the studio now for The Point. The listeners love my accent and I've ended up recording some phrases and lines for the show.

Its a little weird for me though to hear my own voice on the radio station!
Old Mar 15th 2009, 6:39 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

You seem to be going into this with the wrong mindset ... have you decided you are not going to like it before you even leave?
Old Mar 15th 2009, 6:56 pm
Just Joined

idk4 is a name known to allidk4 is a name known to allidk4 is a name known to allidk4 is a name known to allidk4 is a name known to allidk4 is a name known to allidk4 is a name known to allidk4 is a name known to allidk4 is a name known to allidk4 is a name known to allidk4 is a name known to all

well i will probably marry my boyfriend before then. im not close-minded, i find it quite exciting, just abit worried about fitting in. i guess everyones different
Old Mar 15th 2009, 6:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PepsiChic
My accent got me loads of attention in St Louis, Missouri,

In fact I've ended up becoming great friends with Jeff Burton one of St Louis's top djs and spend a fair bit of time in the studio now for The Point. The listeners love my accent and I've ended up recording some phrases and lines for the show.

Its a little weird for me though to hear my own voice on the radio station!
Most people I have met here love the accent, it is a novelty, I spend much longer on the phone sometimes than necessary, because the person I am talking too, is just enjoying the accent, doesn't bother me at all. Thats cool that you have made some good friends here already, I will have to tune into the radio show, I usually listen to WIL, the country station.
Old Mar 15th 2009, 7:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

well i will probably marry my boyfriend before then. im not close-minded, i find it quite exciting, just abit worried about fitting in. i guess everyones different
Then I apologise for my previous post, it just sounded like you were forming an opinion by listening to other people's. It's normal to be anxious about fitting in, you just have to be open to the experience, give it time and you will be fine.
Old Mar 15th 2009, 7:48 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dunroving
Never say never ... after dealing with blank looks for a few years, I wouldn't be surprised if you stop using words like "claggy" and "dreich".

Also, depending on how thick your accent is, I also wouldn't be surprised if, at least in some company, you instinctively soften it a little. You just get tired of people not understanding you - and after all, it's more reasonable for you individually to make an adjustment than to expect 300 million Americans to learn Glaswegian or Aberdonian.

But after 23 years, I just couldn't bring myself to say "toe-MAY-toe" or "a-LOOM-ee-num" (having said that, anyone with a modicum of commen sense could figure out what a Brit means when they use the "English" equivalent of those words).
Hi:

My dual national brother-in-law lives in Cornwall. From what he tells me, it seems that the both people from Scotland and those from Cornwall understand 'joisy, but don't understand each others' spoken language.

BTW, a few months back, his employer used him a temporary web video to promote a program -- it seems that all Brits are able to understand 'joisy.

As an aside -- as you know, UK passports give the CITY of birth thereon -- his UK passport says "Newark" while his US passport says "New Jersey." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4e0WrBsXbE
Old Mar 15th 2009, 7:57 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

I belong to another forum populated mostly by yanks and they are hilarious. Some of them are a bit rude (we have a special area for them!). I am often shocked at what I read. However I am guessing if you met them in person, certainly to start with they would probably be a bit reserved. But then so are most people till you get to know them.

When you travel go with an attitude of learning about people who may be different to you. People really are fascinating!

On the accent issue, I had a kiwi accent when I arrived in the UK many years ago and in some parts of the country I had to keep repeating myself. I had to deliberately change the way I pronounced my surname as people kept getting it wrong even when I spelled it out. They kept hearing e when I said a. I shared a flat with a geordie and had to have someone translate for me.
Old Mar 15th 2009, 8:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Why not let the boyfriend come over first and just settle for long'esh visit's, thats what I did and even after two years of visiting thinking I knew what I was letting myself in for Wrong.... big wake up call

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.