Reload this Page >

Young (highly skilled?) couple looking to migrate to the U.S

Young (highly skilled?) couple looking to migrate to the U.S

Old Jun 14th 2010, 12:01 am
Just Joined

amelieuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Young (highly skilled?) couple looking to migrate to the U.S

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Sometimes it takes a move to another country to appreciate what a great country the UK is....seriously. The grass isn't always greener on the other side.
Jerseygirl -

I understand nowhere is perfect, but you are based in Jersey at the moment, so I suppose you understand where I'm coming from. Please don't forget that whilst I've studied in the UK and am married to a Northern-Irish/British citizen...I am still very much Irish and this is not my homeland.
Old Jun 14th 2010, 12:06 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
You're both eligible to apply for the Diversity Visa... and you are also both able to apply based on cross-chargeability to a spouse. Ergo - you get to submit 4 applications for the DV. Only 1 needs to be successful to cover you both!
You can only use cross-chargeability if you are not eligible in your own right, I thought ... that means each spouse can still only make one application, 2 in total. Never 4.
Old Jun 14th 2010, 12:46 am
Busy at Work

lifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by JAJ
You can only use cross-chargeability if you are not eligible in your own right, I thought ... that means each spouse can still only make one application, 2 in total. Never 4.
I believe that's correct, each person can only submit one application, but can include spouse, so that's 2 applications total (One for the OP and one for the husband). If you're eligible to enter under 2 different countries, I think people usually choose the one with the higher odds of winning.
Old Jun 14th 2010, 12:49 am
Busy at Work

lifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by amelieuk
By the way, does it change things if we've both got Irish passports? Because we do, and we're currently undergoing the whole lottery green card program for diversity (I am not holding my breath, obviously, but still). And last time I've been to Ireland there was a lot of discussion about special programs for Irish people, but when I searched for it online nothing really materialised.
I believe that you're referring to the J-1 Intern Program for Irish: http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/ty...es_1267.html#1
It sounds like it's only for University Students or recent graduates.
Old Jun 14th 2010, 12:52 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

You could come over as students. Get an advanced degree in something and from there, take practical work training for a year to find someone willing to sponsor you for an H1 (though both of your careers are not really what most H1s goto).

Other option is to change jobs, find someplace that might post him to a US office. Move into government relations with a large multinational, or into public affairs/press relations for a large company.

As a journo, you have very very little chance right now given the massive layoffs that have happened in the US media industry and the number of applicants who will a) work for peanuts and b) not require sponsorship. Lobbyist is only slightly better off (but not by much). If was to get a law degree he might have a marginally easier time (but again, not by much).
Old Jun 14th 2010, 5:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Please don't forget that whilst I've studied in the UK and am married to a Northern-Irish/British citizen...I am still very much Irish and this is not my homeland.
I think you will find England & Ireland have a lot more in common with each other than Ireland/England and the US.

Also it is a lot easier to go back to Ireland (from England) when your home sick... even if it is only a long weekend. There are many expats here that go years between trips back because they have no choice (money/work).
Old Jun 14th 2010, 8:48 am
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
I think you will find England & Ireland have a lot more in common with each other than Ireland/England and the US.
Yep. For a start Ireland/England are both pretty much bankrupt and have very poor growth prospects for the next five years.

Maybe the OP should consider Australia or Canada. Lots of very helpful resources here for those two.
Old Jun 14th 2010, 8:57 am
Just Joined

amelieuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there

Thanks a lot for all the messages posted here, I'll take the suggestions on board. I suppose I will need to look into the whole studying thing. If I can take on courses rather than Masters, that should be fine and not too expensive. I could try for a J-1 and I'll definitely look into it, thanks.

As for staying in England/Ireland...I don't think it's really an option anyway. I'm really keen on the U.S but should it not work, we're still going to move to Canada. We're just not particularly interested in staying in Ireland/England in general.

Thanks
Old Jun 14th 2010, 4:47 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Look to a move within the EU where you dont' have to worry about a visa, get more experience, find a company that could lead to a transfer...

Also have the option of workers holiday visa if you went to Canada/Aus etc for a couple of years.

As far as sticking to your careers and hoping for a H1, chances are slim to none, certainly for the next few years, it's hard enough when there's a demand and the job is a shoe in for the visa, when the work isn't a shoe in, makes it much harder.
Old Jun 14th 2010, 6:45 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks a lot for all the messages posted here, I'll take the suggestions on board. I suppose I will need to look into the whole studying thing. If I can take on courses rather than Masters, that should be fine and not too expensive. I could try for a J-1 and I'll definitely look into it, thanks.
Good luck with your move! Please post your future immigration questions in the immigration forum.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34
Old Jun 15th 2010, 12:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Jscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond repute

Apart from the lottery, I would focus on getting an H1 visa for your husband. I'm not really sure what a lobbyist is, but the key to getting the H1 visa is to get a job here. Your husband's potential employer has to prove there aren't any US people who can do the job instead of you, and then they have to get you the visa. With a Masters your husband should qualify for the visa IF the employer makes a good case for him, and the job market has enough openings.

I would really try and network. Often you need that little bit extra to get something like this moving... talk to people (in the US) your husband has met in his work, at conferences, people he knows who have moved to the US and are in similar fields... A potential employer is going to have to really want you/your husband and having someone they know putting in a good word for you really helps. It's almost vital. If you're thinking of moving to the NE maybe even networking through the Irish connection might be possible... there are plenty of Irish communities who might be open to being kind of penpals, and then you never know what connection you might make.

IF your husband can get in on his Masters you would be able to accompany him to the US but you would not be able to work here unless you then went through the process of obtaining your own H1 visa (or until the day you were granted a green card). I think getting your own H1 would be tricky, not because you're not skilled, as you clearly are, but because the job market for journalism is too packed. You'd probably have a 3+ years' wait before you could get a greencard and work, and you'd need to be prepared, emotionally and financially, for that.

Good luck!
Old Jun 15th 2010, 9:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

anuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jscl
Apart from the lottery, I would focus on getting an H1 visa for your husband. I'm not really sure what a lobbyist is, but the key to getting the H1 visa is to get a job here. Your husband's potential employer has to prove there aren't any US people who can do the job instead of you, and then they have to get you the visa.
Lobbists, mostly spin and influence local,state or Federal legislators. you have to be in insider. Or an insiders-insider. Most lobbists have been, or are, connected to local,state or federal government in more ways than one can imagine
Old Jun 16th 2010, 12:09 am
Just Joined

Bookem will become famous soon enough

If you have any close relatives living and working in USA even if they are only green card holders they may well be able to sponsor you.
I would also suggest before emigrating to USA you at least vacation here are a couple of weeks.
In recent years it seems to me that immigration from Europe has slowed to a trickle and even reversed to a certain extent with many Europeans moving back home. Immigration from Mexico/South America, India and China really seems to have increased. Living in the Chicago area I hear as much Spanish being spoken as I do English.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 2:21 am
Forum Regular

aviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to all

Hey there, thanks for getting in. We're a young couple from London (mid-twenties), and I'd be really grateful if you could assess, based on our situation, which visa should we opt for whilst trying to migrate to the U.S.

Basically, my partner is a Master's educated Lobbyist, working for an independent company with no branches abroad (and unfortunately - definitely not in the U.S). He's been doing it for two years. I've got an undergraduate degree and am working as a freelance journalist/editor, full time though. We're both desperate to start a new life in the U.S, but we don't seem to fit to any visa type from what I've seen.

I know it's an extremely general question - and I am aware of all the visa types out there - but precisely because of how narrow (to none-existing) our path is, I was wondering if you have any suggestions, based on this information, which visa type should we go for (is it worth trying to apply for jobs from London and hope for the best/to get a sponsor?)

Many thanks and kind regards

Amelie
The lottery system is not random, not picking paper out of a hat. I'd suggest making inquiries of good immigration attorneys who know how it works and where to intervene to get you through. I did, it worked for me. Absolutely worth it.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 3:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Seneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HumphreyC
Yep. For a start Ireland/England are both pretty much bankrupt and have very poor growth prospects for the next five years.
Have you seen the US debt and deficit?

Maybe the OP should consider Australia or Canada. Lots of very helpful resources here for those two.
You might be able to get into Australia or Canada (they don't have the structural economic problems of the US, for a start), but don't count on it. They both have pretty rigorous points systems and Australia at least has drastically cut back on the jobs in demand list. I don't think lobbyist or journalist are on it, so you probably stand a greater chance of getting into the US, frankly.

Which is just as well because that's where you want to go!

Good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.