Reload this Page >

Young graduate (thinking) of moving to Florida/USA

Young graduate (thinking) of moving to Florida/USA

Old Aug 17th 2005, 6:05 pm
Student

djhsolutions is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Young graduate (thinking) of moving to Florida/USA

Hi there,

My name is Daniel, I live in Nottingham and am 18 years of age. I'm currently preparing to go to University, providing on my exam results which I receive tomorrow (!)

To cut to the point, I'm thinking of moving to America/Florida after I graduate, this is for many reasons, including the job prospects. I know, people may be thinking this is a little early for planning such a bold move, but to be honest, I think it will give me something to work towards and there is no harm in planning things early.

Anyway, the reason why I am posting on this forum is to get some advice and information from you. One of the main things that is sort of difficult to grasp at the moment is the prospect of immigration. The reason why I am posting it in here is because of the fact that I don't want detailed advice on this, just a simple correction of my knowledge. Obviously to move to the USA I'm guessing I will require some form of US citizenship, but I'm not sure what catorgry I'd fall under!

Hopefully if all goes well, I'll be 21 years old with a BSc in Games Computing Technology by the time I finish University. My main reasons for moving there would be employment and a new life I guess. So the only thing I can imagine doing is getting there, finding a job then applying for citizenship based on employment reasons?

I've visited Florida before and had a wonderful time. Granted, this was a holiday earlier this year, and the difference between living and holidaying are pretty huge! But I did enjoy my time there and I could really feel myself actually living there as well.

Another thing is driving, I've heard mixed information about the American driving test and am not sure how to go about it. Currently, I'm learning to drive on a British Provisional Lisence, but I feel I might have to stop when I go to University for financial reasons. Will I be able to apply for a lisence there? I'd be interested in finding out more about this.

Any more information or tips anyone can offer would be most appreciated.

Thankyou for your time for reading this, I apologise for the long post.

Daniel.
Old Aug 17th 2005, 6:13 pm
Forum Regular

IanandHolly is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Young graduate (thinking) of moving to Florida/USA

Originally Posted by djhsolutions
Hi there,

My name is Daniel, I live in Nottingham and am 18 years of age. I'm currently preparing to go to University, providing on my exam results which I receive tomorrow (!)

To cut to the point, I'm thinking of moving to America/Florida after I graduate, this is for many reasons, including the job prospects. I know, people may be thinking this is a little early for planning such a bold move, but to be honest, I think it will give me something to work towards and there is no harm in planning things early.

Anyway, the reason why I am posting on this forum is to get some advice and information from you. One of the main things that is sort of difficult to grasp at the moment is the prospect of immigration. The reason why I am posting it in here is because of the fact that I don't want detailed advice on this, just a simple correction of my knowledge. Obviously to move to the USA I'm guessing I will require some form of US citizenship, but I'm not sure what catorgry I'd fall under!

Hopefully if all goes well, I'll be 21 years old with a BSc in Games Computing Technology by the time I finish University. My main reasons for moving there would be employment and a new life I guess. So the only thing I can imagine doing is getting there, finding a job then applying for citizenship based on employment reasons?

I've visited Florida before and had a wonderful time. Granted, this was a holiday earlier this year, and the difference between living and holidaying are pretty huge! But I did enjoy my time there and I could really feel myself actually living there as well.

Another thing is driving, I've heard mixed information about the American driving test and am not sure how to go about it. Currently, I'm learning to drive on a British Provisional Lisence, but I feel I might have to stop when I go to University for financial reasons. Will I be able to apply for a lisence there? I'd be interested in finding out more about this.

Daniel.
Daniel,
I'd suggest taking the opportunity to do a get a student visa and do year abroad at a university in florida if you are thinking about moving there... You could get a feel for things, possibly get an internship or even paid work at a company which might later be able to sponsor you for a work related visa.
If you do it that way, who knows you may find a nice American gal who you fall madly in love with, get married, and then get the visa that way...

When it comes to driving, it is 1,000,000 times easier to pass the US test. My hubby took the written portion, went up and took and subsequently passed he driving portion the next day. All w/out any lessons other than from me.
Old Aug 17th 2005, 6:20 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

http://britishexpats.com/articles/000089.html

Let us know which method you think most suits you.

Best bet would actually be to do a Master's in the US. Are you rich?
Old Aug 17th 2005, 6:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

britchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud of

a BSc in Games Computing Technology
Which Uni does this? Never heard of such a course!

I too suggest a year/semester abroad. I did this and loved it! Time of my life!
Old Aug 17th 2005, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

IanandHolly is on a distinguished road

I dunno about the masters in the US, it def. takes longer and costs more. Fatbrit, your right about the needing to be rich part...

Though for a year abroad it wouldn't need to be too costly as a good deal of Uni's have a reciprocal relationship with US Uni's so that the price is the same no matter where you go.

Originally Posted by fatbrit
http://britishexpats.com/articles/000089.html

Let us know which method you think most suits you.

Best bet would actually be to do a Master's in the US. Are you rich?
Old Aug 17th 2005, 6:59 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Moving will be challenging

Your best bet will be to find a tart to marry you and get a greencard that way.

Moving to the USa is extremely challenging.

If you complete your degree in the UK and then attempt to find an employer who will sponser a visa for you (which I'm not sure there is an applicable one) then great, otherwise you could well be up shit creek except for the first option above.

Also, I would suggest you expand your geographical ambitions past Florida - you could find this extremely limiting from an emplyment perspective.
Old Aug 17th 2005, 7:00 pm
strangely floppy..

CarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,

Daniel.
Dont spend too much time worrying on the driving test just yet. You can drive on an International licence when you first get here anyways (if you can find someone to insure you with it - Safeauto is a good bet!).

Agreed with the above posts, an F-1 visa is the best way to get here and try some life experience in the US. In terms of citizenship, its a long road and not as easy to get as many people think - either way thats many years off if at all possible.

You could try writing to Universities for a scholarship, otherwise start saving.. a lot!
Old Aug 17th 2005, 7:01 pm
strangely floppy..

CarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Young graduate (thinking) of moving to Florida/USA

[QUOTE=BritGuyTN]

Your best bet will be to find a tart to marry you and get a greencard that way.

[QUOTE]

A magnificent expanation! LOL
Old Aug 17th 2005, 7:18 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

The reason why I am posting it in here is because of the fact that I don't want detailed advice on this, just a simple correction of my knowledge. Obviously to move to the USA I'm guessing I will require some form of US citizenship, but I'm not sure what catorgry I'd fall under!

So the only thing I can imagine doing is getting there, finding a job then applying for citizenship based on employment reasons?

You don't need 'some form of Citizenship' ( you're either a citizen or you're not) you need a visa Either a nonimmigrant visa, for a specified reason or length of time, or an immigrant visa which is permanent.

Jobwise, you have to find the job before moving over, not after. Most workers get the non immigrant, but it's possible to change to the permanent immigrant visa later on. Citizenship from this route takes many,many years.

Living in Florida is NOTHING like it is on holiday, it's no use even trying to imagine what it feels like. It's a big country, so consider other areas too.
Old Aug 17th 2005, 8:21 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,

Daniel.
Your best bet (if you don't go over as a student on F1, but complete your degree in the UK) would be an H1 visa, I would guess. You're certainly going into the right field to get one, but they are pretty difficult to come by. You need to find an employer in the US (I think there is quite a big IT industry in Miami, but other Floridians would know better than me) who needs to be able to prove that they can't find an American citizen to fill the job vacancy and therefore they need to employ an immigrant. It is a dual intent visa, so it is possible to get a green card after a number of years on H1.

The suggestion about going to Florida on a student visa was a really good one - it might enable you to do a bit of networking and find out more about the job situation over there, although obviously that can change significantly in the 3 or 4 years it will take you to get your degree.

Don't worry about driving in the US until you've actually got a visa - it's not a simple task.

Good luck for your results tomorrow!
Old Aug 17th 2005, 8:44 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Florida and games jobs? that's a laugh, there's only a couple companies out there, more in texas than florida, but the baulk of the companies are out in Cali...plus no experience they ain't going to bother sponsor you, and if it's programming, dime a dozen out here already.

Do an internship in the UK for a year or so, no need for a masters in games industry really, just experience.

But with 4-5 years to go, bit early looking into visa's as things could change quite a lot by then.
Old Aug 17th 2005, 9:26 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Join the army. They need people and are accelerating citizenship.
Old Aug 17th 2005, 10:57 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Young graduate (thinking) of moving to Florida/USA

First of all.....hope you get the results you want tomorrow!

Secondly.....if you really, really intend to move to the US, your best bet would be to actually train as a nurse, believe it or not. Nurses on NHS courses in the UK don't have to pay for any tuition fees (this aslo applies to physiotherapists, occ therapists, dentists, opticians etc.) Foreign nurses who choose to live and work in the US are actually issued with the Green Card (for permanent residency) straightaway. Most over work-related visas are for fixed contracts and it is then up to the employer if he wishes to then sponsor you for a Green Card.
Old Aug 17th 2005, 11:26 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
First of all.....hope you get the results you want tomorrow!

Secondly.....if you really, really intend to move to the US, your best bet would be to actually train as a nurse, believe it or not. Nurses on NHS courses in the UK don't have to pay for any tuition fees (this aslo applies to physiotherapists, occ therapists, dentists, opticians etc.) Foreign nurses who choose to live and work in the US are actually issued with the Green Card (for permanent residency) straightaway. Most over work-related visas are for fixed contracts and it is then up to the employer if he wishes to then sponsor you for a Green Card.
It might be a bit late for that now, if he's starting Uni in September!
Old Aug 17th 2005, 11:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

The games industry in LA is CRYING out for programmers however - experience and good solid knowledge are what the companies are looking for whilst immigration requires a 4year degree (Masters) or 12 years experience or a combination to the equivalent.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.