British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Young family trying to move to USA. Help! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/young-family-trying-move-usa-help-882066/)

Katiem264 Aug 20th 2016 3:07 am

Young family trying to move to USA. Help!

Hi, Myself and my husband have wanted for some time to emigrate to the USA, preferably to Tampa, Florida.
I currently work as a mental health support worker and my husband works in finance.
We have 3 young boys (8,5 & 3).
Does anyone know what are the realistic prospects of us getting a visa to move to the USA, we would love any input.
Many thanks.

Jerseygirl Aug 20th 2016 3:15 am

Re: Young family trying to move to USA. Help!

Welcome to BE.

Take a read of the following...if you fit into one of the categories you may have a chance of moving to the US. Please bear in mind that the US is one of the most difficult countries on the planet to move to. Good luck. ;)

Pulaski's Ways: How to Live and Work in the USA : British Expat Wiki

RICH Aug 20th 2016 3:41 am

Originally Posted by Katiem264 (Post 12030605)
Hi, Myself and my husband have wanted for some time to emigrate to the USA, preferably to Tampa, Florida.
I currently work as a mental health support worker and my husband works in finance.
We have 3 young boys (8,5 & 3).
Does anyone know what are the realistic prospects of us getting a visa to move to the USA, we would love any input.
Many thanks.

What do you know about Tampa that makes you want to come here? Why not Orlando?

Katiem264 Aug 20th 2016 3:53 am

Thanks for your replies. Neither of us have university degrees in our fields of work nor relatives that live in America. I think based on your post, it may be too difficult to get in, which is a massive shame for us.
RICH, were not really set on a specific place but having been to Orlando several times, it would be nice to try something new and I've heard amazing things about Tampa.

scrubbedexpat099 Aug 20th 2016 5:16 am

Best bet would be for your husband to negotiate a company move.

mrken30 Aug 20th 2016 5:54 am

Without degrees finding work is really difficult, primarily due to the legislation for exempt employees. Most employers who employee professional people want to employ you as an exempt employee which requires a degree or equivalent.

Pulaski Aug 20th 2016 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by Katiem264 (Post 12030617)
Thanks for your replies. Neither of us have university degrees in our fields of work nor relatives that live in America. I think based on your post, it may be too difficult to get in, which is a massive shame for us.
RICH, were not really set on a specific place but having been to Orlando several times, it would be nice to try something new and I've heard amazing things about Tampa.

Take a look at the two "Pulaski" wikis in the US section of the wikis tab above, if you have not done so already.

I see nothing you have posted so far that makes me think you have any basis for visas to work in the US, nor even to be able to reorganize your careers or life to stand any chance of getting visas. While not having degrees is another significant hurdle, in truth neither you nor your husband would be in a significantly better position even if you did have degrees. The US does not issue visas to significant numbers of mental health workers, nor people who work in finance (other than through transfers by employers), so even if you had superlative qualifications and skills it would still be a huge struggle for you to get visas to work in the US.

I don't suppose either of you were born outside of Great Britain? i.e. anywhere in the world outside the UK, but being born in northern Island would be OK. Please note, it would be the location of birth that is critical, not nationality.

Guindalf Aug 20th 2016 5:52 pm

Realistic prospects? No chance! Well, very little anyway. Buy a lottery ticket as you have more chance of winning it than coming to the US as anything but a visitor.

Sorry, but you asked. Look at Pulaski's Ways in the Wiki, but I think you'll find you're pretty much SOL.

anotherlimey Aug 20th 2016 7:04 pm

However, I didn't have a degree when I moved here, although I've earned one since, but I moved with a company.

The employer move is really your only option.

MarylandNed Aug 20th 2016 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by Katiem264 (Post 12030617)
...and I've heard amazing things about Tampa.

Having been in Tampa many times (even lived there for a month many years ago), I'm not sure what amazing things you could possibly have heard. It's near the ocean, there are some nice beaches in the area and the weather is decent in winter (although can be hot and humid in the summer with many thunderstorms). But the same can be said of many other places so that hardly makes it amazing. I guess it's all relative though.