Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Young Family moving to Denver CO.

Young Family moving to Denver CO.

Old Jul 2nd 2012, 6:35 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Young Family moving to Denver CO.

Originally Posted by Bob
It's doable if you don't get organic stuff, but I can't see how for organic, I mean a red pepper is about $4 and then a head of lettuce at the farm stand is $1.69 but if you want organic it's a smidge under $4 again and then the corn is about a buck a cobb instead of 4 for a buck, etc, etc.

So if anyone can do it, that's really good going and I'm really jealous.
Yeah, me too. If we spend less than $150/wk on groceries I'm ecstatic!
We're a family of three (9 month old).
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 6:39 pm
Mions' a point.

MostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond repute

I don't live in Denver but would like to second MadRads' comment on snow tires. On any car they help immensely. I keep 2 sets of tires/rims, one set all season for summer and one set snow tires, and change them every fall/spring. And I grew up driving in snow.

Pete
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

MadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond repute

There's only the two of us so that'll make a difference. I can't cook to save myself except for in the slow cooker, so I tend to buy to make batch meals. I won't entertain non-organic meat or milk. I should add we probably eat out twice a week as well. It amuses my husband that we spent nearly a five figure sum on kitchen appliances last year, none of which I can use except the dishwasher.

Even in the UK, we were probably spending around £100 every 2 weeks on food. I still think it's outrageously expensive though - if it reaches 3 figures I ain't happy in any currency! A friend of mine spends about $300 a week on food, but she does have kids.

When I said bins, I did mean rubbish collection. Some HOAs do that and build it into their fees.

With regard to cars, I think it is possible to survive with one, depending on where you live and where it is in relation to work. We only had one car for our first two years, we only bought our second car recently, and that was only because we've now moved to the sticks and after a year it was a pain sometimes.